Best Catalina PBY......in 1/48?
raccoonrough
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 239 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 06:27 AM UTC
Okay,

Can someone give me some advice on what the best kit would be for the Consolidated PBY Catalina.......prob the PBY-5. In 1/48 scale?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Spence
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 06:39 AM UTC
Your only choice is the Revellogram kit. It's got a few flaws, most noticeably the too-wide rear fuselage. Belcher Bits offers a conversion which corrects that.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 06:56 AM UTC
Hi Spence

Yep - as Jessie says, that's the only one - any choice just comes down to which boxing to go for, or finding a bargain somewhere.

The tail problem is one of those things that may bug you once you know it's there (and it's a bit of a s*d to tackle without a correction set) - but I've seen great builds OOB, and I bet 90% of buyers have been happy with the really impressive kit as it stands.

All the best

Rowan
raccoonrough
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 07:14 AM UTC
Thanks a million Jessie and Rowan!

I figured that was the only one out there.........but wasnt sure. I will check into the conversion and be on the lookout for a kit.

Thanks
Spence
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 08:27 AM UTC
Just out of curiosity what about in 1/72 scale?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 08:52 AM UTC
In 1/72 look for the Academy kit series. You'll probably need new decals but the plastic is excellent; far superior to the old Airfix and Revell kits of years gone by.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 10:08 AM UTC
Every once in a while the PBY bug bits me, and I head on over to ebay. There's always several in both scales that you can bid on. AM decals are a must unless you want to do the Blackcat version in 1/48 scale.

Joel
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 11:16 AM UTC
I've built this kit (the 1/48th PBY), it's very nice and goes together without difficulty. It's been announced that it's about to be re-released, so if you wait a bit you should be able to pick one up at a good price.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've built this kit (the 1/48th PBY), it's very nice and goes together without difficulty. It's been announced that it's about to be re-released, so if you wait a bit you should be able to pick one up at a good price.

That's really good news. Do you have a link to that? I'd really like to know what markings it will be released with.
Joel
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 - 08:54 AM UTC
This is 4507 by Revell, to be released in July. It will have American and Dutch markings. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LNEDSY

Aviation Megastore in the Netherlands lists aftermarket decals for PBYs in Australian, Israeli, Brazilian, Norwegian, Swedish and South African service.
http://www.aviationmegastore.com/quicksearch/LM539cdbac6c8c664628e81a404d/%20pby%20catalina
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 425 posts
AeroScale: 401 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 - 01:30 PM UTC
According to the RoG site, the 1/48 PBY-5A is scheduled for a June 2014 release:

Quoted Text

- Detailed surfaces with recessed panel joints
- Large radome over the cockpit
- Detailed cockpit with instrument panel and seats
- Detailed under-carriage
- Under-carriage may be mounted in the retracted or down position
- Side observation posts, optionally with mounted MG
- Replica radial engine
- Moveable propeller
- MG in the nose turret
- Wing floats may be mounted in the retracted or deployed position
- Yagi radar antenna
- A choice of 4 bombs for underwing mounting
- Decal set for 2 US Navy versions

My guess for markings would be a Black Cat and either "Snafu Snatchers" or the personal aircraft of Vice Admiral McCain. Revell has released all of those markings in previous boxings so they seem a safe bet. I am waiting for this one myself, it was great to hear they plan to re-release it.
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 425 posts
AeroScale: 401 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 - 01:36 PM UTC
Just saw the previous post. So looks like a post-war USAF bird, a Black Cat, and a Dutch bird if that site is correct. Strange the RoG site only says "2 US Navy versions".

I guess we'll just need to wait and see.
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 - 04:37 PM UTC
The markings supposedly are for USAF OA-10A Rescue from 1948, US Navy Midway 1942, and Netherlands Navy. The kit is way overdue on release schedule (Originally were told April) If past practice is any indicator once a kit is listed at www.revell.com under new products (the beginning of each month) I can expect the kits to arrive at my distributors in the U.S. by the beginning of the following month. So if they list it for July we will have them by beginning of August or slightly earlier.

All the best,
Brian Fendley
JAC Hobbies
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 06:29 AM UTC
I just checked the Sprue Brothers site, and they don't have the kit listed.

I've wanted to do a US. Navy Midway version for some time. The Black Cat is the only current kit out there, with no AM decals for a Midway version. So I'm really hoping that the Revell release will indeed have it.

Joel
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 07:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've wanted to do a US. Navy Midway version for some time. The Black Cat is the only current kit out there, with no AM decals for a Midway version. So I'm really hoping that the Revell release will indeed have it.

Joel

Greetings Joel,

You can do a Midway version without trouble. I would trust aftermarket for the roundels with the star. For the lettering you can try to find Letter decals which may be difficult to find or get dry transfers (Woodland scenics US 45 degree Black letters and numbers) I've use them with good result.

All the best,
Brian Fendley
JAC Hobbies
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 12:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Joel

Greetings Joel,

You can do a Midway version without trouble. I would trust aftermarket for the roundels with the star. For the lettering you can try to find Letter decals which may be difficult to find or get dry transfers (Woodland scenics US 45 degree Black letters and numbers) I've use them with good result.

All the best,
Brian Fendley
JAC Hobbies

Brain,
Thanks for that information. I guess I'm just being somewhat prudent, ok cheap, as I'm figuring I need a min of two After Market decal sheets, so I'm looking at a min. of $20-24 for just for decals. But if the re-release doesn't have what I want, then I'll go that route. I have three planned and researched builds ahead of the PBY-5A, but like most things I do in modeling, it can change daily.
Joel
Aurora-7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,020 posts
AeroScale: 125 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 04:11 AM UTC
It wasn't until reading this thread and doing a little PBY-Midway Google surfing that I realized a PBY made torpedo attack on the Japanese fleet the night before the main battle.

Is that one of the PBY's your considering to model, Joel?
raccoonrough
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It wasn't until reading this thread and doing a little PBY-Midway Google surfing that I realized a PBY made torpedo attack on the Japanese fleet the night before the main battle.

Is that one of the PBY's your considering to model, Joel?

Yes, I found that too. I would love to do that particular PBY myself. Just need to see if anyone makes decals for it.

Thanks to all who have helped.

Spence
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 07:11 AM UTC
Greetings everyone,

Revell announced the PBY for July new releases. The kits will be in the U.S. by the end of the month. Side note they're also re-issuing 1/32 Spitfire and 1/48 Tornado.

All the best,
Brian Fendley
JAC Hobbies
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 10:08 AM UTC
Hannants just got the PBY in stock. http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RV4507 It's a PBY-5A with wheels.
 _GOTOTOP