_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Eduard 1/48th Camel
oldtimer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2014 - 09:24 AM UTC
Dear team,
Just about to embark on Eduards 1/48th scale Sopwith Camel. I am modelling Roy Browns camel and I need help regarding which is the right cowl to use.

Is it C9 or C10 in their instructions as the instruction.are as clear as ****.

Anybodys help would be gratefully received!!!!!!

Cheers
Martin
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2014 - 02:50 PM UTC
Eduard 1/48 kit #8057 has instructions a bit fouled up. The one to use is C 10 but don't drill a hole in the cowling unless you are doing a LeRône powered version. The timing exhaust was different with that motor. Sopwith Camel F.1 B7270 was Capt Roy Brown's of course, RAF 209 Sqn, Bertangles, France, April 1918.

Several reviews here. "The straw that broke the camel's back" Click here.

". . .There is also a choice of two cowlings. One for a Clerget type rotary (PP C 9) with a small vent and one for the LeRhône type rotary (PP C 10) with out any vent. In scale drawings the Clerget adds about 1 3/4" to the overall length of the standard F.1 type. Later many of the LeRhône cowlings had additional vents added to their 4 and 5 O’clock positions due to the exhaust valve opening later in the cycle than the Clerget that had the single vent at the 7 O’clock position. Check your references. The instructions try to simplify the concern and show C 10 as one you can modify to a Clerget type if you drill your own hole. Also, the Clerget cowling fillet ( B 6) doesn’t fit well with out some sanding of its mating surfaces for the Clerget cowling (PP C 9.). . ."
oldtimer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 08:52 AM UTC
Dear Stephen,
Many thanks for the information so generously given.

I hope it will help me produce a better model.

Once again my thanks

Martin
 _GOTOTOP