_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Albatros D.III question
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 08:55 AM UTC
I recently got an itch to work on a roden 1/72 albatros d.iii ive got haunting a corner of my bench. Ive been working on the interior and its been going rather well. I dont have any detailed albatros references yet so Ive been looking through various albatros builds for inspiration.

Ive got 2 questions, is behind the pilot seat a solid bulkhead or skeletal? And is the pilot seat really that far behind the cockpit opening? It often seems like the kits are engineered to put the seat in such a position that either the pilot only sat on the edge of his seat (irony?) Or bent into what would seem to be an uncomfortable position. Maybe im seeing things or interpreting wrong, so Im hoping someone can shed some light?

A pic of the progress couldnt hurt
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2014 - 04:53 AM UTC
The rear cockpit former was partially covered with a fabric "screen" to keep most of the airflow from filling the rear shell of the fuselage. The bottom section had a cut out for the control cables to pass through. The real seat was adjustable but only if you were on the ground. It meant moving all four tie downs 2 bolts each. The Eduard plastic seat supports are fixed but with the old aftermarket Eduard PE they give you tie downs you can reset.
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2014 - 11:43 AM UTC
Thanks alot for the help Stephen! In that case I'm going to leave the back wall as is and place my seat brackets(now made from styrene rod) in a more humane position.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2014 - 09:03 AM UTC
Model On!
 _GOTOTOP