Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 - 01:01 PM UTC
Along with John Wilkes, Jim Hatch and Jeroen Peters have been building a pre-production kit of the wonderful Hong Kong Models Mosquito MkIV. Johns completed model is HERE
And here are a couple of pictures of Jim Hatch's build:

Jim used my paint masks, as this was a pre-production sample without any decals. The finished model

In furthjer news; yesterday HKM sent me a DXF file of the canopies so that I can produce paint masks for them. These will be part of the set that I am working on for the kit, along with the camo, D-Day stripes, roundels and fin flash and the no walks over the radiators. The ones that I sent to Jim are slightly too wide. They were designed for the 1/24 Airfix Mossie and scaled down, so that will be sorted when I get the kit (I have one on the way from Hong Kong )
For those that will be attending the IPMS Scale Modelworld show in Telford in November I sent the order forms for a Trade satnd to HKM, after talking to the IPMS about them finding space

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 12:23 PM UTC
Another photo:
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 04:31 PM UTC
I have just received the latest pre-production sample of this
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2015 - 10:04 PM UTC
Mal,
Jim's build is simply exceptional. The close up picture of the wings "Keep Off" are absolutely perfect.

Joel
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 - 03:20 PM UTC

The over radiator warnings are a little out, they were designed for the Airfix 1/24 scale kit and were simply scaled down for Jim, but they are a little wide; this will be corrected for the 1/32 scale set for this kit

I have started build my example I can now confirm at first hand just how good this kit is
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 01:20 AM UTC
Mal, these are nice builds and I'm sure yours will be also. Any chance of a couple of sprue shots? All that said this is not one for me as I'm not much of a Mossie fan, I'll hold out for the Beaufighter although I may belatedly go for the glass nose B-25 if I can find one.

MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 01:58 AM UTC
Looks VERY nice! Do we know if they're going to do the fighter version at some point?

Michael
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 12:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mal, these are nice builds and I'm sure yours will be also. Any chance of a couple of sprue shots? All that said this is not one for me as I'm not much of a Mossie fan, I'll hold out for the Beaufighter although I may belatedly go for the glass nose B-25 if I can find one.

A couple of sprue shots and some shots of the fuselage and wings which give you the flavour of this remarkable model.
Sorry Lucky I do not understand how you cannot be a fan of the Mossie? Yes the Beaufighter is eagerly waited for by me too. I'm sworn to secrecy but you are going to be amazed at what else is planned I’ve got the glass nosed B-25

The fuselage, wings, and all of the flying surfaces are hollow moulded! The fit is exemplary and the ease of building is second to none I have only just started to build this but I feel drawn to complete it, much the same as was the case for the Airfix 1/24 scale Typhoon.

This is a final test shot but I do believe that there are a couple of revisions happening at the last minute.

Quoted Text

Looks VERY nice! Do we know if they're going to do the fighter version at some point?

Michael

Yes Michael, the Mk VI is due at some point and from what I have been told don't rule out anything
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 - 11:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

A couple of sprue shots and some shots of the fuselage and wings which give you the flavour of this remarkable model.
Sorry Lucky I do not understand how you cannot be a fan of the Mossie? Yes the Beaufighter is eagerly waited for by me too. I'm sworn to secrecy but you are going to be amazed at what else is planned I’ve got the glass nosed B-25

Thanks Mal, the parts look very impressive as to not being a fan of the Mossie, like most aircraft I appreciate its place and effect on history but I'm more a fan of the brute muscle look of the radial engined aircraft so hence the wait for a Beaufighter which has always been over shadowed by the Mossie and thinking about a B-25. As to what else is planned I'll be really amazed if they do a Beaufort or Blenheim mind you still waiting for a 1/48 Beaufort so not holding my breath on that one.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 29, 2015 - 11:46 AM UTC
I see your point Lucky but the Mosquito is a such a beautiful looking aircraft, and it was so capable, that it has to be included in a collection of WWII aircraft; in my humble opinion. The simple fact that it could carry a 4000lb cookie makes it brutal enough for me?

You can see in the sprue shots that there is a cookie included in the ordnance, there are, of course, also the bulged bomb bat doors and the fairings

I was going to do the same aircraft as the one that Jim did, mainly because I like the 2 colour codes. This build though might just end up on the HKM trade stand at Telford; to promote the masks set for it or just as another build to show off the model. To that end I am now looking at doing a normal bomb bay version, but I still want to do 2 colour codes
 _GOTOTOP