Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hasegawa Spitfire MK.IXc 1/48
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 06:44 PM UTC
I started this kit a month ago for a e-mail build with a friend who is doing the same kit . It was a toss up between building the Eduard kit but since this has been sitting in the stash the longest time ....it won .

Over all detail isn't bad actual . When I pick up the kit I figure this was form the late 80's early 90's but it is a fairly new kit . Detail in the cockpit is out standing , only thing I added for detail is seatbelts form the parts bin and I used the instrument panel decal form the Eduard kit . Kit decal is rather plain .

More to follow ....

Terri
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 - 09:57 PM UTC
Terri,
An excellent start to a excellent kit. Your Pit looks great. Will be doing more then just following along, as I just started the Eduard 1/48 scale D-Day Spitfire Mk.IXc kit. I really like your substitution of the Eduard PE IP, as it adds a whole new dimension to the Pit.

Anyway, it just might be fun to do a duel build and compare the two kits, our ideas, and solutions throughout the build.

In any event, it's great to have you doing another build in the WW11 forum. See, there is life without two wings and flying wires holding everything together.

Joel

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 07:17 AM UTC
Hi Joel ,

I don't think a duel build would be good . I like the idea but I at the priming stage getting ready for paint . Just need to mask the canopy and fix in place . Only other parts needing clean up is the landing gear . Will have to catch you on the next one . I'm on a deadline with this and my time is running out .

Yup , I don't mind doing the odd WW 2 aircraft . My next build is going to be a F4U-1D/2 night fighter . Right now I have two WW 1 projects on the go . One in the painting stage and the other ready for the pre-shading .

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 10:06 PM UTC
Terri,
We'll get to one yet, but you're one very busy modeler.

The fit looks really good. Looking forward to see it with some paint on.

Joel
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 10:18 PM UTC
Terri,

Great start! Cockpit is +++!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 10:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri,

Joel

With summer coming up I need to clear off a few projects . Won't be spending a lot of time sitting in front of the bench .

The fit is pretty good except for in the wing root area . Some tweaking and sanding was needed, it's not perfect but will do .

Terri
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2015 - 10:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Terri,

Great start! Cockpit is +++!

Thanks Fred

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2015 - 12:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Terri,

Joel

With summer coming up I need to clear off a few projects . Won't be spending a lot of time sitting in front of the bench .

The fit is pretty good except for in the wing root area . Some tweaking and sanding was needed, it's not perfect but will do .

Terri

Terri,
I model year round, just a little less during the nicer weather. With Central Air, we don't spend much time out in the heat and humidity as we once did.
Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 07:13 AM UTC
Made some progress , but no pic's of it .
Canopy in place and masked off and the pre-shading is done on the under side . Tomorrow will spray the top pre-shading and by the weekend I should have or will be ready to have some camo colours on her . I did finish painting the prop and spinner . Wheels are also ready to go for their weathering .

Joel , I love the heat , so I will spend my free time out side . Only really in when it's raining

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 10:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Made some progress , but no pic's of it .
Canopy in place and masked off and the pre-shading is done on the under side . Tomorrow will spray the top pre-shading and by the weekend I should have or will be ready to have some camo colours on her . I did finish painting the prop and spinner . Wheels are also ready to go for their weathering .

Joel , I love the heat , so I will spend my free time out side . Only really in when it's raining

Terri

Terri,
Looking forward to seeing your update with the preshading pictures.

I use to love the heat, and I still prefer it to the cold. the older I get, the less tolerant of the extremes of temp. I am. Besides with my semi retirement I have enough time to work outside around the house, and still inside building models.
Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 - 07:17 AM UTC
Had a few set backs ( not with the build ) so I didn't get as far as I wanted to .

Per-shading is done . For the bottom I used a dark gray with a few spots pick out in black . Top side is a mix of black and flesh . and that's about it . Been busy with work so not much time in front of the bench .

I still have a bit of shading on the top side with a few other colours first before the camo go's on which will be done free hand .

Terri
FredrikA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uppsala, Sweden
KitMaker: 92 posts
AeroScale: 90 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 - 09:43 PM UTC
Nice build, Terri!
I don't use pre-shades myself, mainly because I fear them. Looking forward to seeing yours after some paint.
/Fredrik
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 - 09:48 PM UTC
Cheers Terri,

a lot of Spitfires lately....

Yours looks very nice!

It looks like you left the short fuselage as is ... I have a Revell rebox with Aeroclub correction in the stash, but also some Eduard Spits and I guess these will always win the battle for my desk...

Anyway, looking forward for your kit completed!

all the best

Steffen
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 05:04 AM UTC
Thanks guy's ,

Steffen , I knew about the fuselage being on the short side . Didn't know about aero club's correction set for this .

It's spitfire heaven !

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 05:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guy's ,

Steffen , I knew about the fuselage being on the short side . Didn't know about aero club's correction set for this .

It's spitfire heaven !

Terri

Terri,
Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd make it to heaven.
Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 04:12 AM UTC
Camo is on and ready for clearing coat in perp for the decals to go on .

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 05:17 AM UTC
Terri,
Excellent free hand camo paint scheme. I do have one question, from the research I've done for my Spit Mk.1Xc. The wheel wells should be the same color as the rest of the undersides. You opted for what looks like RAF interior Green. Did I miss something for this variant?
Joel
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 12:38 PM UTC
Nicely done Terri

Quoted Text

Terri,
Excellent free hand camo paint scheme. I do have one question, from the research I've done for my Spit Mk.1Xc. The wheel wells should be the same color as the rest of the undersides. You opted for what looks like RAF interior Green. Did I miss something for this variant?
Joel

This is one of those questions for which Edgar is the best person to answer but I generally also paint Spitfire wheel wells in interior green. I do believe that they could be the underside colour but my understanding of this is that this happened when the aircraft was resprayed, for example when the underside camo went through changes during the early years of the war (black and white wings, then Sky etc). It might have been the case that later Mks, such as the IX> had the wheel wells painted to underside colour, but they were essentially internal areas, certainly with the wheels up. I eagerly await edgars input

In any case, You just can't have too many Spitfires
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 04:20 PM UTC
The wheel wells are a perennial problem, since they don't feature, individually, in colour schemes, so the belief is that they were (in the factory) treated as part of the interior.
What happened during servicing (and any changes to the colour scheme) is a matter of conjecture; however also, at some stage, possibly due to a need to conserve aluminium, interior "furniture" went over to green, in fact MH434 has a green rear fuselage interior where earlier Marks used to be silver.
Hurricane and Typhoon wells were silver, while Tempests and late Spitfires (21s & 22s at least) can be seen with green, so I wouldn't rule out a Mk.IX as having green, as well.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 06:50 PM UTC
Thanks guy's ,

Joel , Mal and Edgar have pretty much said it . So you can go either way with how you want to represent the wells . In the kit instructions it calls out for them to be interior green . I was going to go with under side colour, but I had paint left in the airbrush . Easier than tying myself in knot with ref's only be right back at the beginning again . What colour are the wells .

Terri
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 08:18 AM UTC
Decaling has started and I must say they are giving me some trouble . A few touch ups do to but I'm getting there ...

Still have the rest of the stenciling on the top surface and the bottom still needs all of it's decals .

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 05:51 PM UTC
Terri,
Looking real good. Stenciling has to be one of my least favorite parts of a build, but once done, it does add a lot to the overall build.
Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 07:08 AM UTC
Thanks Joel . not as bad doing these decals for WW 2 , nothing like doing lozenge and hundreds of rib tapes ! That I don't like doing but the end results are worth it .

Painting and decaling is now finished minus the red decals which represent the tape gun ports . The kit decals aren't the right size and ...well just a pain in the ass . It was faster masking and spraying the yellow on the wings leading edge . Still had a few issue with the decals and touch up needs to be done on the under side national markings as well .

Weathering will start with the final assembly and this one comes to an end .

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 12, 2015 - 06:14 PM UTC
Terri,
The Spit is really coming together now. Decaling looks perfect to me. As for the yellow leading edges, painting them is certainly the way to go.

Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 04:44 AM UTC
Actually Joel the decals are not perfect in the least bit . The top national markings have cracks and missing bits . The under side is missing more than just bits ! You can see it on the underside in the photo posted . I also just notice that I made a mistake on the tail planes , the camo ( green ) is positioned in correctly

Tonight I should be able to start the weathering and have this wrap up by the weekend . Next week I will be starting Eduards Weekend Edition Bf 109E-7 as a build review and I really want to get started on it . Very nice kit indeed !

Terri
 _GOTOTOP