Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2015 - 06:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually Joel the decals are not perfect in the least bit . The top national markings have cracks and missing bits . The under side is missing more than just bits ! You can see it on the underside in the photo posted . I also just notice that I made a mistake on the tail planes , the camo ( green ) is positioned in correctly

Tonight I should be able to start the weathering and have this wrap up by the weekend . Next week I will be starting Eduards Weekend Edition Bf 109E-7 as a build review and I really want to get started on it . Very nice kit indeed !

Terri

Terri,
I took the paint coming through the decals as purposely done to emulate paint chipping. As for the mistake with the Dark Green on the tail planes, it's been very well documented that I should be the last person in the modeling community to be able to recognize that issue.

Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 05:11 AM UTC
And this one comes to and end !

I didn't use a pastel panel wash this time around . I used Vallejo paints thinned with water and just a drop of dish soup . Pastels I used after wards for details and high lights . Not sure how I did it , but I managed to get dull coat over spray on the inside of the canopy .

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 05:03 PM UTC
Terri,
Congrats on crossing the finish line. Always nice to have another one in the finished column.

Like you, I know do a lot of my post shading weathering with washes of the paints I used, lightened or darkened for the effect I'm looking for. I tend not to use black for anything but the demarcation recessed lines for the flying surfaces.

I noticed on your landing gear struts that Hasegawa has those scissor links over the oleos. Eduard only has them on one version of 5 aircraft in their kit, which I found very strange, but can't find out why since they're all MK.IXcs.

As for the Dullcoat that go into the windshield, can you get a few drops of Pledge/future in there? It's self leveling, and might just do the trick.

Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 05:12 AM UTC
Thanks Joel , at least someone likes it . Appreciate your comments .

It was a head scratcher as well . I have seen photo's with and with out them . In the instructions Hasagawa shows that the scissors are not used . I took the latter and fixed them in place .

Terri
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 - 05:08 PM UTC
Sorry I forgot to reply!

it came out very well and you did a very good job on the kit! But thats what I expected

cheers

Steffen
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 11:43 AM UTC
Nice one Terri

You just can't have too many Spitfires
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2015 - 07:51 PM UTC
That's really a fine looking Spit, Terri!
I like your free hand camo of Dark Green, which I also prefer, like on my Spitfire XII and recently on the Whirlwind. Do you use enamels or acrylic paints?

Torsten
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 - 06:10 PM UTC

F.IX BS556 RF*G. AH2061 5 section hub wheels and spline oleos.

XVI TD240 WX*V AH10019 4 section hub and link type oleos.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 - 08:23 PM UTC
Antonio,
Thanks for posting both of those pictures. But being a Spitfire newbie, it's rather confusing why one Spitfire within the same Mark would have one type of Oleo/strut, and then the switch to another completely different type. I'm guessing that it has more to do with supply availability then anything else.
Joel
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 - 09:33 PM UTC
Dish soup for a tasty build! Very nice, Terri- you're all conspiring to make a Spittie fan of me in spite of myself!
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2015 - 09:37 PM UTC
It's more to do with weight; the four-spoke wheel was stronger than the five, and the links were an extra piece of resistance to keep the wheels straight, and stop the legs bottoming out.
While the IX remained a basic fighter (though some were modified to carry bombs,) the XVI could carry bombs and also had an extra fuel tank behind the pilot which added even more weight.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 06:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's more to do with weight; the four-spoke wheel was stronger than the five, and the links were an extra piece of resistance to keep the wheels straight, and stop the legs bottoming out.
While the IX remained a basic fighter (though some were modified to carry bombs,) the XVI could carry bombs and also had an extra fuel tank behind the pilot which added even more weight.

Edgar,
Thanks for clearing that up. The Eduard kit does indeed offer two different wheels. I never bothered to look at the differences. Now I know why. But then the question comes up of why the two different wheels? Seems to me that just casting the lighter one would be more cost and parts efficient.
Joel
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 05:37 AM UTC
Sorry for not getting back to you guys sooner , been busy with life commitments . Thanks for the positive feedback folks

Steffen , glad I didn't let your expectations down

No Mal , you can never have enough Spitfires

Torsten , I use Tamiya Acrylic paints and thin with both of their thinners . X20a and Lacquer thinner . I really like how the paint sprayed with lacquer . Breaks down the paint pacticles better for a smoother finish . I also us Vallejo for brush painting smaller details and will use Testors Model Master Acrylics .

Thanks-you as well to Edgar and Antoni

Chuck , you should build a Spitfire . Now that would be something to follow !

Terri
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 11:00 AM UTC
Chuck, Yes, you should build a Spitfire

Who else would like to see Chuck build a Spitfire?
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 01:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But then the question comes up of why the two different wheels? Seems to me that just casting the lighter one would be more cost and parts efficient.

It's difficult to second-guess a manufacturer, but, if a toolmaker is paid by the hour, maybe getting him to do two wheel types (should really be three, if you want wheels with the covers in place) at the same time might be cheaper.
Also, as there's an VIII (which looks to have had four-spoke from the start) in the series, it makes sense.
The fun will come with anyone doing a XIV, since they had two four-spoke wheels of differing hub diameters.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 05:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Chuck, Yes, you should build a Spitfire

Who else would like to see Chuck build a Spitfire?

Mal,
Most certainly I would.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 05:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

But then the question comes up of why the two different wheels? Seems to me that just casting the lighter one would be more cost and parts efficient.

It's difficult to second-guess a manufacturer, but, if a toolmaker is paid by the hour, maybe getting him to do two wheel types (should really be three, if you want wheels with the covers in place) at the same time might be cheaper.
Also, as there's an VIII (which looks to have had four-spoke from the start) in the series, it makes sense.
The fun will come with anyone doing a XIV, since they had two four-spoke wheels of differing hub diameters.

Edgar,
You Brits sure don't make it easy for us neophyte Spitfire modelers, no do you.
Joel
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 08:57 PM UTC
[quote You Brits sure don't make it easy for us neophyte Spitfire modelers, no do you.[/quote]
Everyone has to have a hobby
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 03:47 AM UTC
True that !

Joel , you think WW 2 can be confusing . Try WW 1 ! It's even worse

One of the reasons why I mostly build my WW 2 stuff out of the box . I might replace the odd kit part if I have something better in the parts bin . Even with my WW 1 subjects there are only a handful that I do or will do lot's of research on .

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2015 - 05:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

True that !

Joel , you think WW 2 can be confusing . Try WW 1 ! It's even worse

One of the reasons why I mostly build my WW 2 stuff out of the box . I might replace the odd kit part if I have something better in the parts bin . Even with my WW 1 subjects there are only a handful that I do or will do lot's of research on .
Terri

Terri,
Another reason why I've never ventured into WW1. I've learned quite a lot about Spit Mk.IXs. I'm actually looking forward to doing a Mk.1xc early version, and a Mk.VIII, as my next two Spits. Just one or two a year, but it will eventually add up.

As a matter of fact, over the last several weeks I've been contemplating doing something that I've wanted to do for years, but just never got around to even being serious about it, and that's all the aircraft types with correct paint schemes and markings from both sides that were involved with the Battle of Midway. Scale will be whatever I want to build that subject in. Just might go ahead and do it every time I build a prop.
Joel
 _GOTOTOP