_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Italeri boxings of Nieuport 17 and Camel
Familyman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 12:20 PM UTC
These seem to be out. There's some cool decal options:

http://shop.italeri.com/Products/21687-2508-nieuport-17-wwi.aspx

http://shop.italeri.com/Products/21686-2507-sopwith-camel-wwi.aspx

Mikko
lentorpe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alava, Spain / España
KitMaker: 104 posts
AeroScale: 37 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2015 - 04:06 PM UTC
Hobbycraft - Academy heritage.

Sadly, in the case of the Camel, those are NOT the reworked, refined, re-tooled molds of the later Academy versions (Le Rhône - Clerget) but those of the initial release.

A bit irritating.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 05:25 PM UTC
How does the Nieuport compare with the academy boxing or are they identical?
Familyman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 09:14 PM UTC
The new Academy '100th anniversary' box has got an PE set included, but it seems to be next to useless, so there is not much differences really. The decal options are different, tho

Mikko
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 10:17 PM UTC
I have to admit the italeri does have some good decal choices. I just didn't know if the plastic was any different. I like the RFC and Italian scheme. I want to get into the bigger scale WW1 and I'm thinking they might be s good budget entry level (rigging etc) before I blow the big bucks on a Wingnut kit!
Bink123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 364 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 11:03 PM UTC
I am building the Academy Sopwith Camel, which is the same kit as the Italeri. Most of the parts need work to correct them - many errors.

A few Years ago I bought the Academy Nieuport 17, and I think it is the sme plastic as the Italeri. I think it may be a bit shy on detail, and the wing ribs tapes need a little refining, the lacing on the tires is a tad over done, BUT, it builds into a large beautiful, graceful silver aircraft. What's more, the 'V' shaped interplane struts make assembling the upper wiing easier. I'd go for the Nieuport 17 over the Camel. The decal choices for the Italeri kit look great - U.S., RFC, Italian, French, and German - Wow!

Current build-in-progress - Academy 1/32 Sopwith Camel. L. Breadner, RNAS

On deck - Airfix 1/48 Hawker Fury 1 - SAAF, 1940.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 11:40 PM UTC
Hi there

I bought and reviewed the Academy Nieuport a few years ago:

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/review/3669

Despite its flaws, it was amazingly good value for money. I don't know what Italeri will be charging for the re-box though...

All the best

Rowan
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 12:11 AM UTC
Cheers.
It sounds like it should be a good one. I'm not too fussed about detail, as long as it all goes together that's the important thing. It's something to get my teeth into really.
I'll do some price comparing but given the options and the fact that Italeri decals are usually very good, it might be the better option.
Bink123
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 414 posts
AeroScale: 364 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 01:56 AM UTC
The Nieuport 17 cockpit is fairly spasre in the real thing. The headrest area will need to be filled in. Not much rigging to be done - the ailerons are controlled by rods built into the wings, not wired. My Academy version had decals for Billy Bishop, but were little thin and transluceent - I expect the Italeri decals to be better.

OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 04, 2015 - 02:38 PM UTC
The Nie 17 would be a good value buy for the decals alone in my opinion. I've been thinking about doing an Italian one for ages.

Like Rowans review says this kit is a very good starting point for the beginner. However, if one wanted to spice things up a bit – there was a nice interior made by Master Casters that would be well worth picking up, and they also had a cowling (very tight fit though) and a pair of wheels. To make the cowling fit, you would have to do some serious trimming on the rather portly nose – but this could make for a pretty nice model in the end.

As for the Camel, it would seem very strange Italieri are using the old, and very inaccurate moulds. Mind you, with recent news on the WNW development, it probably wouldn't have mattered if they used the later Le Rhone/Clerget moulds.

Mikael
 _GOTOTOP