_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
today I chatted with a true hero.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 - 09:48 PM UTC
Today I had the pleasure to have a chat with Geoffrey Wellum. I went along to his house for him to sign a card that will now replace the one that is in the case with the model of his Spitfire Mk I QJ-K.
I also took the opportunity to ask him about the fact that K9998 did in fact have the pump handle for the undercarriage at the time of his fist flight. I had been told that it was more than likely that all Spitfire Mk Is would have been retrofitted with the select lever by this time. Mr Wellum confirmed that K9998 did in fact have the pump lever at the time of his first flight in her and that it was retrofitted with the select mechanism after 92 Squadron moved location. So the diorama that I have planned can now proceed; I had already scratch built the pump handle but the model had stalled until I could ask the question. I also asked Mr Wellum where his ground crew were stood as he approached the aircraft for the first time. So the diorama that I intend to build will be at least as accurate as I can possibly build it

Mr Wellum signed 3 of these for me, one for the model in the heritage centre, one for my own diorama and one for something else that I have planned; but that will not happen for a number of years, hopefully.

The model in its case as it stands at the moment, the signed card will replace the one here.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 12:45 AM UTC
Nice one Mal

A meeting to treasure! I met some of the Battle of Britain aces back in the '70s, when I was just a kid and too young to realise that we lose such opportunities all too quickly.

Fittingly, there's been a Spit flying around on the Island today. I've run to catch a glimpse every time I've heard its unmistakable sound.

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 11:04 AM UTC
Yes the chance to ask this one "silly" question will make building the detailed MkI a real pleasure and I can't wait to point out the pump handle hoping that I will get told that "no, it wouldn't have had that!" Imagine my pleasure to be able to say, "well it did, Mr Wellum told me so"

I need to crack on with building my model which will have a detailed interior, I have already scratch built the pump handle when I had started the old Revell MkI, but stopped when I was informed that it probably didn't have it; That was about 4 years ago! Mr Wellum said that he would like to see it so the build will be brought forward and leapfrog all the other kits that I have on the go That is if I can squeeze the Aires cockpit set into the Revell kit, we shall see

chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 01:25 AM UTC
Mal.
Way cool and a nice build.
Anymore photos per chance?

Chris
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident