Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 09:26 PM UTC
Hi there

I couldn't resist having a play with Eduard's new Spit as preparation for our review:

I've blocked out the cockpit of the "bubble-top" version. There's a choice between etched and styrene parts in couple of places, and I've gone for the etched. No problems, although I found it best to add a little support under the canopy-opening mechanism to keep it steady:

I've never been one for using fancy thinners, but I've thrown caution to the winds this time even by my own standards and used some stuff I spotted in Lidl a week or two ago. Ridiculously cheap and - judging by the results so far with some Humbrol enamel for an undercoat - pretty good stuff!

I'll be using Hataka acrylics for the build (see the general review HERE ) - hence the undercoat to give them something to bite into.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 10:40 PM UTC
Hi Rowan,

Nice start on your sweet sixteen (I like eduards logo, though it could get some spice with chuk's girls )

cheers

Steffen
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 01:46 AM UTC
Cheers Steffen

Presumably you can get the Baufix thinners in Germany - it's worth checking out. I'll definitely buy more whenever it's in stock in my local Lidl.

I probably should have mentioned that I've strayed from Eduard's suggested construction sequence by fitting the lower sidewalls to the fuselage, rather than attaching them to the formers and instrument panel as a sub-assembly. Both ways probably work fine, but this is how I tackled the Mk.IX, so I did the same again without thinking.

All the best

Rowan
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 02:50 AM UTC
It's a special only available when its painting and decorating week but it appears fairly regularly. So you need to grab when its there. They changed the formula a while ago. It used to be more volatile like lacquer thinners in a taller, thinner tin. The present stuff has a yellowish tinge and smells like it's based on toluene. I use it mainly for cleaning my airbrush.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 03:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The present stuff has a yellowish tinge and smells like it's based on toluene. I use it mainly for cleaning my airbrush.

Hi Antoni

Interesting. What I've just bought doesn't have that yellowish tinge you mention and smells distinctly like cellulose thinners.

All the best

Rowan
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 05:12 AM UTC
Really looking forward on your build Rowan . Will you be doing both or just one ?

Terri
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 11:25 AM UTC
Hi Terri

I'll only tackle the low-back for now - I've too many other projects on the go and don't want to tempt Fate any more than I already have.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 01:36 AM UTC
Hi again

Sorry for the total no-show due to pressure of work. I did manage to squeeze an hour or so in earlier, though, so I hope to get the interior finished soon and move on. I'll be out of action tomorrow, but I'll aim to shoots some pics on Thursday, D.V.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 02:56 AM UTC
Rowan,
I really like how lately you've been doing your reviews with a partial build, and dry fitting.

Looking forward to your build.
Joel
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 01:28 AM UTC
Cheers Joel

As you can see, I've broken the habit of a lifetime and gone for a full-build on this one - although, I guess it's still only count as a partial-build as I'm only tackling one half of a double-kit.

I finally made a bit of progress after work today and have now got the fuselage assembled and drying until I can next get to the workbench (probably on Sunday):

All the best

Rowan
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2015 - 02:17 AM UTC
Nicely done cockpit, Rowan. I envy your ability to make the details look so sharp.

Gary
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 04:04 PM UTC
Cheers Gary

But the credit must go to Eduard, because the details are lovely and sharp in the first place, and the pre-coloured instrument panel is eye-poppingly good.

Talking of details, Eduard have included lovely subtle embossed rivets over the whole wing surfaces.

However, I think I remember Edgar mentioning to me when the Mk. IX was released that they were painstaking filled on the real aircraft as far back as the front spar, so I've painted over them with a thick coat of Lifecolor acrylic straight from the jar. That can (hopefully) dry while I catch up with some housework.

All the best

Rowan
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 06:27 PM UTC
It probably wasn't just the IX, since a report said that all factories would incorporate the new finish from mid-September 1942; this would have included Westland, who only built the V & Seafires.
A couple of things that Eduard appear to have missed:-
the thigh-straps were actually moved aft, to the corners of the seat, so as to come over the pilots' hips; this kept them restrained, during negative-G manoeuvres, and prevented contact with the canopy. On wartime XVIs the shoulder straps were bolted direct to the pilot's head armour, and didn't go down behind the seat.
the gunsight was always the oblong gyro gunsight, and there was a special mushroom-shaped throttle handle, which had a pair of Bowden cables leading from the head of the "mushroom" to the gunsight; this was an early "HOTAS" system, enabling the pilot to set the wingspan of his target with his left hand, while flying the aircraft with his right.
Edgar
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 08:24 PM UTC
Rowan,
Your pit is really looking outstanding. While Eduard made the parts, your painting and dry brushing has really brought them to life. Their PE 3 pc IPs are really spectacular. Can you imagine trying to duplicate this with single decals?

Edgar mentioned that the shoulder harnesses were bolted directed to the cockpit bulkhead rather then through it on Mk.IX I built. I noticed that change as soon as I saw your Pit and wondered why. Now I know.

Looking forward to your next update.
Joel
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2015 - 09:35 PM UTC
Hi Edgar and Joel

Many thanks for the extra info and kind words. I'll see if I can fudge something like the throttle/gunsight set-up you describe, and I'll note the point about the seatbelts when I publish the review.

I've got the wings and tailplanes on. The cowl and elevators are just dry-fitted - the latter to keep the tail square (I'll droop them later).:

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 07:22 PM UTC
Hi again

Working a 7-day week has meant no time for modelling, so it was a treat to finally get to the workbench today. I've sprayed a quick white undercoat using Humbrol enamel to highlight any seams that need attention and to give the acrylic camouflage colours something to bite into. White will also help with the yellow wing leading edges:

I'll get on with some reviews while everything dries and hope to make a bit better progress this week.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 01:14 AM UTC
Rowan,
Impressive progress, especially when working 7 day weeks. Fortunately for me, those long weeks are way behind me as I'm looking forward to retiring in less then 1 1/2 years. 70 is old enough to be put out to pasture for my golden years.
Joel
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 01:30 PM UTC
Nice progress Rowan
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2015 - 05:59 AM UTC
Nice work Rowan! You guys build them up so nicely Im not sure how much longer I can resist adding one of these eduard spits to the stash! I should probably suffer through an occidental or an ICM first
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2015 - 12:40 AM UTC
Cheers Mike

I never like the idea of wasting older kits that I paid good money for back in the day, but I fear Eduard's new Spits probably mean my Occidental and ICM versions are probably destined to stay buried in the Stash.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 02:21 AM UTC
Hi again

Doh! Nothing to show, because I realise I must have been so surprised to get some time at the workbench on Sunday, I clean forgot to take any photos!

But... I pre-shaded the Spit with mid and dark grey prior to my first attempt at camouflage with Hitaka acrylics. I've sprayed a few thin coats of the underside colour and it looks pretty promising.

More to follow later this week - and I will try to remember to take pics!

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 09:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi again

Doh! Nothing to show, because I realise I must have been so surprised to get some time at the workbench on Sunday, I clean forgot to take any photos!

But... I pre-shaded the Spit with mid and dark grey prior to my first attempt at camouflage with Hitaka acrylics. I've sprayed a few thin coats of the underside colour and it looks pretty promising.

More to follow later this week - and I will try to remember to take pics!

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,
Of all people to forget to take pictures. What's this world coming to.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP