_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat 1:48
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
AeroScale: 630 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 03:30 PM UTC
Hello, it has been a long time since my last post here on Aeroscale, sorry for that, most of my modelling subjects didn t have wings bolted on, but here is my newest roll out with wings on!
Its Eduards F6F-3 Hellcat Profi Pack in 1:48 scale, build oob.
The markings are for BuNo 40467, VF-6 from the U.S.S Intrepid, flown by navy ace Alexander Vraicu.
Lovely kit, the weakest part are probably the wheels, will replace them at some time with resin stuff.

Hope you like it

Best Regards
Bernd
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 07:57 PM UTC
Nice one, Bernd! What paints did you use?
I have several Eduard-Hellcats in my stash. Guess I need to build one ....
I also know that problem when you build armor and aircraft. I have always 2 kits on the bench at the same time.

Torsten
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 08:14 PM UTC
Bernd,
Just an outstanding build of a USN WW11 F6F-3 Hellcat. Very nicely done tri-color paint scheme, with just the right amount of weathering. As for the wheels, they look just fine in your pictures. Up close I'm sure that the details are a little soft.

I've been building nothing but aircraft for several years now, although I have built several armor pieces, and I have a real interest in race cars from the 1960s-1980s. I wonder if I could post just some finished pictures in Pre-Flight forum, so that I could share my work with my Aeroscale friends, rather then in the other sites where none of us generally visits.

Joel
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 10:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice one, Bernd! What paints did you use?
I have several Eduard-Hellcats in my stash. Guess I need to build one ....
I also know that problem when you build armor and aircraft. I have always 2 kits on the bench at the same time.

Torsten

Thank you very much for your kind feedback, Torsten

The paints are from Model Master and Revell, i used the non specular sea blue from MM and Revells flat white for the underside.
The USN three tone camo is a graded one, so i mixed the blue and white for the intermediate blue 50/50.

There are always some builds on my bench, too. In the last years i did a 1/48 aircraft, than another and so on, that became quite boring and my "stash" of unfinished kits is sky high, will melt it down a bit ( hope so )
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 10:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bernd,
Just an outstanding build of a USN WW11 F6F-3 Hellcat. Very nicely done tri-color paint scheme, with just the right amount of weathering. As for the wheels, they look just fine in your pictures. Up close I'm sure that the details are a little soft.

I've been building nothing but aircraft for several years now, although I have built several armor pieces, and I have a real interest in race cars from the 1960s-1980s. I wonder if I could post just some finished pictures in Pre-Flight forum, so that I could share my work with my Aeroscale friends, rather then in the other sites where none of us generally visits.

Joel

Hello Joel, thank you very much. The first "version" of my weathering attempt was way overdone, so i "graded" it back. WWII USN aircraft were well maintained.
I would love to see your armor kits here, cars or racers are tempting me too, its just a question of time until the first car on my bench.
Why not posting and sharing ?
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 10:46 AM UTC
Bernd,
Your F6F looks awesome! I really like how your colors merge seamlessly!

Gary
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 05:08 PM UTC
Very nice work! Turned out great.

Quoted Text

As for the wheels, they look just fine in your pictures. Up close I'm sure that the details are a little soft.

The details in the wheels are actually very nice for plastic parts. The problem is that the wheels represent the smooth-tired early narrow wheels, which are inaccurate for most of the marking options included in the kit.
Luckily, Eduard seemed to listen to feedback, and their later boxings (excluding weekend editions, I presume) seem to include resin wheels.

With the early boxings, one could widen the plastic wheels with some styrene sheet if smooth-tired wheels are OK, or use some resin parts.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 06:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Joel, thank you very much. The first "version" of my weathering attempt was way overdone, so i "graded" it back. WWII USN aircraft were well maintained.
I would love to see your armor kits here, cars or racers are tempting me too, its just a question of time until the first car on my bench.

My thoughts were that my posts of just finished non-aircraft builds would be moved to the appropriate Kitmakers Network, where I'm not known, and I don't know anyone. That's not the real issue, it's that like almost all of us I never visit those sites, so those builds would most likely not be seen by my Aeroscale friends.

For me, I just like looking at a well built model, no matter what the type is. Hopefully one of the mods will respond as to what is correct procedure. Maybe changing the name of the forum to "ready for display" or something along those lines would be more representative of the model content.

Joel
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 11:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bernd,
Your F6F looks awesome! I really like how your colors merge seamlessly!

Gary

Hi Gary, thanks for your kind words, the colors were sprayed on in more than one session, to get the demarcation soft but sharp as well.My airbrush compressor is ancient, you can dial between on and off, so i use thicker and thinner layers, to get this acceptable.
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 11:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice work! Turned out great.

Quoted Text

As for the wheels, they look just fine in your pictures. Up close I'm sure that the details are a little soft.

The details in the wheels are actually very nice for plastic parts. The problem is that the wheels represent the smooth-tired early narrow wheels, which are inaccurate for most of the marking options included in the kit.
Luckily, Eduard seemed to listen to feedback, and their later boxings (excluding weekend editions, I presume) seem to include resin wheels.

With the early boxings, one could widen the plastic wheels with some styrene sheet if smooth-tired wheels are OK, or use some resin parts.

Thank you very much for commenting, you are right, this was an early boxing and the wheels are glued on with wood glue, for easy removing. Will replace them at some time and i didn t had a wish to raid my -5 Profi Pack kits.
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 11:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

My thoughts were that my posts of just finished non-aircraft builds would be moved to the appropriate Kitmakers Network, where I'm not known, and I don't know anyone. That's not the real issue, it's that like almost all of us I never visit those sites, so those builds would most likely not be seen by my Aeroscale friends.

For me, I just like looking at a well built model, no matter what the type is. Hopefully one of the mods will respond as to what is correct procedure. Maybe changing the name of the forum to "ready for display" or something along those lines would be more representative of the model content.

Joel

May there will be a way for non aircraft builds, here on Aeroscale. Will be very interesting, to see the non winged stuff from the modellers here.
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 - 12:59 AM UTC
Great work Bernd. I like especially the marks left by the exhaust fumes.I like the Hellcat as a plane. Its so massive and powerfull. If You put it next to a Me-109 or a P-51 now thats puts things into a perspective, doesnt it ? I think when Grumman was designing the Hellcat, they just took the Avenger, made it a one seater and deleted the bomb bay
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 10:49 AM UTC
Thanks and you are right, the Hellcat was a really big cat.
Placed the finished kit alongside a MiG-3 and a C.202. It looked like the wrong scale.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 12:18 PM UTC
Well Bernd, a MiG 3 is indeed a small aircraft. And for a Folgore it was fitting an airframe around an engine. A Hellcat was fitting an engine in an airframe ....
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2015 - 09:13 PM UTC
Naseby,
The Hellcat series followed the Grumman F4F build philosophy of building a fighter that could take a lot of punishment, and still bring both the pilot and plane back home to fight another day.

Growing up on LI, and so close to both the Grumman and Republic plants, I use to think that they both used the same basic philosophy. After all, the P-47 series was to the Air Force as the F6F was to the Navy.

Joel
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2015 - 07:44 PM UTC
Did you clearcoat before the decals and flat coat after?

Looks good. When trying to take a photo of the cockpit, use a light to illuminate the cockpit itself and turn the flash off. Otherwise you just get the big black hole.
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2015 - 08:13 PM UTC
Bernd,

The Hellcat is beautiful. The way you did the exhaust stains is superb and very realistic.

Best wishes,

Ian

berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 09:58 AM UTC
Hi Torsten, its a great sight, to have all these types on one shelf, with all the different design attempts.
You can t have enough of those prop birds. Its Sunday morning, weather is bad, looks like a perfect match for a relaxed modelling time !

berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 10:04 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply, Matt. My "photo studio" was a black cardboard on our laundry drier in the garden. light came from the morning sun, i think the result look good.

Yes i used clear, than decals, than flat. After the decals were on, i noticed that the contrast national insignias/camo looked wrong and i gave the kit a thin layer of blue paint.
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 10:06 AM UTC
Thank you, Ian. The exhaust stripes are some layers of grays and browns, sprayed on.
Its maybe still a tad too dark, on some photos the exhaust stains look nearly white.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2015 - 08:38 PM UTC
Bernd,
I almost always do the same light overspray after sealing the decals. The problem is that all decals are printed as though they're brand new markings on a new aircraft. And for the most part we're not modeling a new aircraft.
Joel
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 01:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bernd,
I almost always do the same light overspray after sealing the decals. The problem is that all decals are printed as though they're brand new markings on a new aircraft. And for the most part we're not modeling a new aircraft.
Joel

Correct, Joel, some "down shading" of the decals make the build look more realistic.
On the other hand, too much weathering says a lot about the weathering quality of the builder but will look wrong too.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 02:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Bernd,
Joel

Correct, Joel, some "down shading" of the decals make the build look more realistic.
On the other hand, too much weathering says a lot about the weathering quality of the builder but will look wrong too.

Bernd,
Sure does. And I've used this technique more then a few times to correct decaling issues from just being lazy in the prep part of the process.
Joel
 _GOTOTOP