_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
REVIEW Hansa-Brandenburg W.12 (Early)
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 12:28 AM UTC
Hi again

Onwards and downwards! In my usual haphazard building style, I've started playing with filling the seams on the top wing:

I've used Deluxe Materials "Perfect Plastic Putty" - which, of course, isn't "perfect" (what is?), but does do an excellent job - and is water-solluble, so it doesn't risk damaging the surrounding detail.

A bit of sanding was required to level the sections in places, and a coat of Humbrol enamel primer shows there's little more work to do, but is quite encouraging, nevertheless - this was the one part of the build that rang a few alarm bells for me because, no matter how well WNW engineered it, it's an awkward joint in an exposed position.

All the best

Rowan
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 12:19 AM UTC
On the engine cylinders, are the pushrods molded on or did you attach separate rods? these are the options on the Hannover.

Captn Tommy
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 12:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

On the engine cylinders, are the pushrods molded on or did you attach separate rods? these are the options on the Hannover.

Captn Tommy

Hi Tom

As I started out trying to keep this one basically OOB, I followed the instructions and used the moulded-on set. They're very crisp (as you'd expect with a WNW kit) but, now I've decided I can't bear not to at least add some ignition wires, I've blown my "OOB" idea anyway. I'd go for adding separate push-rods if I were to do it again - they'd only take a couple of ticks and would look superior.

I've finally got a bit of time free this weekend, so I hope to make a bit of progress once I've caught up with reviews etc.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP