World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
A few models in-progress
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 10:36 PM UTC
Thank you Joel!

If the kit has a well detailed interior I do my best to detail paint it but on the older less detailed kits I don't worry about it too much.
With the Tamiya Dinah III not only is there some good O.O.B. interior detail the canopy is large and clear enough to see that detail...and a big plus is the Mikesh ''Japanese Interiors'' book that I have does have plenty of useful information that will really help me during painting the interior.

Matrixone
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 05:01 AM UTC
The old Tamiya Ki-84 is getting some pin washes with oil paint, I am about halfway on getting this done. This model is getting close to being finished.

While I had the oil paints out I used some of them on the interior parts of the Ki-46 Dinah III to help add some wear and tear.

I only have just few things left to paint on the interior of the Ki-46 and I can close up the fuselage halves for good.

Matrixone

matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 01:27 AM UTC
Here are a few more pictures of my Japanese airplanes in-progress.

The last of the detail painting on the Ki-46 Dinah III interior was done and now the fuselage halves can be glued together.

Here the Ki-46 cockpit is undergoing a dry fit just before being glued in the fuselage and next to the Ki-46 nose are the main wheels for the Ki-84 which have been painted and weathered.

I finished with the oil paint pin washes on the Ki-84 and added a tiny amount of additional paint chipping.
Not as easy to see is the patches of red that were put on some of the rising sun national emblems...from what I understand the national emblems were retouched if the paint was faded or had flaked off and I wanted to try and replicate that feature on my model.

The Arii Ki-61 has had the fuselage halves glued together and the wing can be seen here during some dry fitting.

Matrixone
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 03:50 AM UTC
Hi Les,
All of your cockpits look great. I'm loving the wear you're putting on that Ki-84. Making wearing look realistic is very difficult for many, but you're pulling it off very well.

Gary
Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 339 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 11:07 PM UTC
Hi Les,

your Ki gives me good hope that my Revell 1/32 Focke wulf (old kit) will get me anywhere. I lately snapped it up on ebay on a wave of nostalgica. I build it around 1990 when I was 14 :-).
I am wondering though didn't you add any schratch build items to the Ki?

Loveley camo on the Junkers btw... and that on 1/72

gr TC
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 11:37 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments Gary and TC!

TC,
I am an old school modeler and build O.O.B. about 95% of the time, whenever possible I do try and put my models in less well known markings to have them look original...as much as I love Fw 190's you will NEVER see a build of one of the JV 44 Dora's from me since they have been done to death by other modelers.

Which old Revell Fw 190 kit did you get? I built the 1960's era 1/32 scale Fw 190D-9 before and have the Revell 1/32 scale Fw 190F in my stash. The Fw 190F is based on the really old Hasegawa kit but does have correct markings included.
A few years back Revell re-boxed the more recent Hasegawa Fw 190D-9 and it is an excellent kit and a big plus with the Revell kit is they even provide an option for the big tail which Hasegawa never offered in their boxing of the kit.

Matrixone
Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 11:45 PM UTC
Hi Maxitrone,

I have the 1989 boxed D-9 wich is an old 70ties reboxing. It was my second big plane after the Corsair. I read on the net that this kit hasnt the best reputation. But like I said bought it with a sense of nostalgica and I am planning now to build it OTB and try to get it as good as it gets. Maybe not historical accurate but good looking.. .that would be nice :-)
Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 - 11:47 PM UTC
MT
the most resent Reveel FW190 is a new tool kit isn't it? So there is another "newer" Revell FW190?

gr TC
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 01:59 AM UTC
Lars,
Just a few months ago Revell released a new mold kit of the Focke-Wulf Fw 109F-8 and that is not to be confused with the Revell re-boxing of the 1970's era Hasegawa kit that was released a few years back. The older kit was fine in its day but the newest Revell Fw 190F kit is better in every way.

I am a big fan of old kits and enjoy building them, you would be surprised how good some of the old kits can look when modern decals and paints are used. Aside from the M.O.M. on this site I don't do contests and am not bothered too much if some rivets or panel lines are not 100% accurate on old kits like the Arii Ki-61 and 1/72 scale Ki-46 trainer seen in this build thread, they are still cheap entertainment and that's what really matters.

Matrixone
Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 02:44 AM UTC
Hi Maxitrone,

I myself see it as the key to the hobby: creating something you like. Ofcourse it is nice when it is appreciated by others, but the most important is that you like what you see I think. I the end you are the one whole will look on the modelshelf every day.
I have build newer kits and older kits. But the 2 models I am still most fond of are an old PZIV-H (Academy, the one wich could have been build as RC) because I detailed it to a degree it looks sharp again. And an old Tamiya PZII because I like the winterwash technique I used, it really looks cold :-).
If someone just wants the right dimensions, rivets total historical correctness, I think thats fine. I do that too sometimes... and sometimes I just want to build a model that looks and feels nice.
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 03:56 AM UTC
The decals for the trio of Luft'46 models have been put on.

Ho 229

Junkers Ju EF 128

Me P.1101

The Me P.1101 will get the rest of its camouflage painted on after the decals are 100% dry, this particular aircraft had field applied camouflage added to it and was roughly sprayed on around all its markings.

Matrixone
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 - 08:30 AM UTC
All three look great, Les! Love the Wilde Sau decal!
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 01:09 AM UTC
Thank you Gary!

The decals on the Me P.1101 have fully dried and they were given a thin coat of Future to seal them and when that was dry I finished spraying on the camouflage on it.

The landing gear doors are stuck on for the sake of painting the scribble camouflage on them, that's why they look a bit off.

Matrixone
Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 - 02:30 AM UTC
Hi Max,
I like the Junkers most. To be honest I think you should have left the ME in its basecolours and weather those a bit more... it looked awsome :-)
gr TC
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 01:31 AM UTC
Thanks Lars!

On very late war night fighters it was most important to conceal them from being seen from the air during the day so there was a trend towards spraying additional camouflage paint colors on them to aid in hiding them under camouflage netting or tree branches so that's why I applied the scribble camouflage on the Me P.1101, its not very attractive but I wanted to finish this model like it was an operational machine.

Here is the start of the 1/48 scale Hasegawa Bf 109K-4.

The wheels are painted and ready for weathering, I tend to paint and weather the wheels like they are models themselves, this way the wheels look good and filthy.

The old Arii 1/48 scale Ki-61 has had plenty of poor fitting parts...the gap on the upper engine cowling is a whopper.

The Tamiya Dinah has had the wings and fuselage joined together and the wheels have been assembled and painted, the wheels will be given their weathering later on.

The engine nacelles are not glued in just yet, the fit is so good glue may not be needed.

Matrixone
Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 02:35 AM UTC
Hi Max

from what I can see the cockpit of the ME looks awsome!
gr TC
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 03:59 AM UTC
Les,
What an absolutely impressive miniature assembly line of aircraft. How you can keep track of, and maintain your mojo in each build just amazes me.

The camo scheme on your Me P.1101 really came out extremely well.

Joel
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 05:01 AM UTC
Thanks very much Lars and Joel!

The Ki-48 is nearly finished but I am in no hurry to finish it, there have been a series of strong storms moving through the area and getting pictures of it is out of the question until the weather settles down.
Its so windy even getting some new in-progress pictures in my carport is a no go and that's where 90% of my in-progress pictures are taken.

Matrixone

GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 10:32 AM UTC
Les,
Great to see you building another 109. Pit looks fantastic. Your Dinah looks beefy...I'm gonna hafta build one, someday.

Gary
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 02:54 AM UTC
Thanks Gary!

More work done on the 109...the airframe has been assembled and its seam lines were given a quick spray of gray paint to check for problems.
The spinner/propeller is assembled and the spiral has been painted on the spinner. Also the canopy has been masked and the wheels have been weathered.

The Dinah III also had its wheels weathered. Some find it strange that I weather the wheels so early in my builds but I find that by doing things this way I never skimp on the painting or weathering of them...my older builds had me painting wheels near the end of a build and sometimes painted them as an afterthought and it showed.

The lower surfaces of the Ho 229 have been given some weathering with oil paint.

Matrixone
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 01:39 PM UTC
Les,
Your wheels are fantastic! I'm sure there are a lot of people like me who'd love to know how you do it.

Gary
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 01:02 AM UTC
Thanks Gary!

A short update on a couple of these models.

The Ki-61 will be getting a NMF and some gloss black was sprayed on first before I spray on the NMF.

The Bf 109K-4 is in the pre-shading stage, a thin base coat of pale RLM 76 was sprayed on followed by some gloss black on just a few of the panel lines to keep the model from looking like a quilt later on.

Next some random panels will be sprayed flat white to provide a little more contrast and after that the final coat of RLM 76 will be sprayed on just heavy enough to greatly tone down the pre-shading effects but not completely cover all of it.

Matrixone
Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 06:50 PM UTC
Hi Max,

I will follow your updates!
Happy Xmass moddeling :-)

gr TC
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 04:28 AM UTC
Thanks for looking Lars!

I had expected to be posting pictures of the finished Luft'46 models by now but it was not meant to be.
Here are where I am with these models, they should be finished by the weekend.

Matrixone
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2015 - 02:05 PM UTC
Les! They are lovely! Be sure to post some good photo coverage of each of them!

Magnus