_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/48 scale ARII Ki-44 Shoki
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2015 - 11:14 AM UTC
Hi Bill,
Thank you for your kind words. I always find plenty of these Otaki kits online at E-bay.
billflorig
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2015 - 12:10 PM UTC
Gary,

Thanks for the response! I just looked and have got to pick up the Frank, Jack, and Tony! These were soooo much fun!

Bill
billflorig
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2015 - 12:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Gary, great work! I just acquired the Otaki P-40 with the Aleutians markings for 11th Air force. Can't wait to build it. I finished the Arii P-51 a few years ago, it was my first kit after a 25 year hiatus! I built the Otaki "Jack" as a kid. I love these old kits. Is there a vendor that is still selling the Arii versions online?

Best, Bill

Bill,
You're making me feel really old. I was already married when the Otaki kits 1st hit the shelves at my local Squadron Shop in Syosset New York.

Joel, I'm feeling old just asking that question! I'm going to knock a few of these out before I jump into some more complex kits! You are young at heart!

Best,

Bill
Joel

GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2015 - 01:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gary,

Thanks for the response! I just looked and have got to pick up the Frank, Jack, and Tony! These were soooo much fun!

Bill

Bill, I have a Hasegawa Tony that is waiting to get covered in foil. They had some pretty snazzy paint schemes, too. I should try to get some afternarket decals because the ones I have aren't very eye catching.
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 01:11 AM UTC
That turned out great Gary!

Also I really like the pictures that were taken outdoors, too bad more modelers don't do this.

Matrixone
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 01:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That turned out great Gary!

Also I really like the pictures that were taken outdoors, too bad more modelers don't do this.

Matrixone

Les,
That's an excellent point. But as we transition to winter, outdoor model photography can be iffy at best with temps below freezing.
Joel
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 04:52 AM UTC
Joel,
Its not just the temps that are a hindrance in outdoor model photography, right this minute there is a raging wind and rain storm in-progress here and it would be impossible to even get in-progress pictures of model parts.
Sometimes I have to wait a day or three to get my model pictures but having natural daylight to work with is worth the wait.

Matrixone
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 - 10:46 AM UTC
Hi Les,
Thank you very much! Real metal looks best in real light. In a light box you can make a painted NMF look like the real thing as long as it's weathered well, and is a talent in and of itself.
I plan to make a background of hangars so that the outdoor pictures will have a more convincing background than my pool and vines.

Gary
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 09:34 AM UTC
Gary,
Your shoki really turned out great! The foil really steals the show! I thank you for posting your tutorial, I'm considering some builds where I might try this out
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 02:51 PM UTC
Hey Mike,
Thank you very much! I went to my LHS saturday only to fetch some brass rod and tubing. Of course, I had to check the shelves and there sat a Hasegawa Shoki. Christmas for me!
I'm glad you liked the tutorial. Foiling is really quite simple once you step into it. If I can provide any other help feel free to pm me.

Gary
 _GOTOTOP