Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Airfix Hawker Hurricane Mk.I 1:48
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
AeroScale: 630 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 04:36 PM UTC
Hello Aeroscalers, here are some pictures from my newest roll out. Its the old tool kit from Airfix. Its probably completely outdated by newer kits but it has still a lot to offer, the very nice surfaces for example, raised but subtle as the fabric on the rear part of the fuselage and it looks the part.
My build has a lot of “firsts”
The camo scheme was masked, RAF schemes are hard edged so my favorite free hand spraying won t work. Used self made templates for that, not 100% accurate but a good move.
The ( overdone ) chipping was made with salt on a silver primed surface.
The raised panels were primed in black and/or silver. After the camo was on, i sanded the surfaces wet and the line came through. Not the first try but it worked the first time.
The decals came from the Kit, Techmod and Sky Decals. The Techmod Squadron letters were too dark for my lighter shaded paint work and the Sky Decals letters were used, everything went well on. The ejection chutes were simulated with decal stripes from the kit decals.
The canopy of the kit was successfully messed up by me, so i borrowed a Hasegawa canopy. It slides much better on the rear fuselage of the Airfix kit, than on the kit it was designed for. It was cut in two with a razor blade.
The markings are for P3700, No 303 “Polish” Squadron, Northolt in September 1940.

Best Regards
Bernd
RYSZARD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
KitMaker: 486 posts
AeroScale: 485 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 05:05 PM UTC
Elegant "Hurrry"!! a big round of applause!

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 09:06 PM UTC
Bernd,
Just an excellent build.One would have no way of knowing it's the very old Airfix kit, as you did a masterful job on it.

For me, a model is all about the final presentation without any qualifying comments needed by the builder. Let the final picture presentation stand on its own. And your build does just that. It looks exceptionally well done, and certainly the equal of any build I've recently seen.

Nothing is over done including the paint chipping and wear lines on panels. Your camo paint scheme looks dead on. Nice job on that hard line masking.

The only small thing I noticed, that I'm almost always guilty of, is having paint chipping and wearing especially on the prop hub, but not on the blades. I guess I'm just glad to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't always do that.

Joel
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 09:31 PM UTC
A Hurri is always a nice sight to see. Well done, Bernd!
Need to build one in British markings ....
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 11:07 PM UTC
Bernd,
Your chipping and shading looks excellent! I don't think I would ever have guessed that this was an 'outdated' kit.

Gary
Removed by original poster on 11/07/15 - 07:02:00 (GMT).
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2015 - 12:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Elegant "Hurrry"!! a big round of applause!

Thanks for the kind comment, Ryszard
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2015 - 12:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bernd,
Just an excellent build.One would have no way of knowing it's the very old Airfix kit, as you did a masterful job on it.

For me, a model is all about the final presentation without any qualifying comments needed by the builder. Let the final picture presentation stand on its own. And your build does just that. It looks exceptionally well done, and certainly the equal of any build I've recently seen.

Nothing is over done including the paint chipping and wear lines on panels. Your camo paint scheme looks dead on. Nice job on that hard line masking.

The only small thing I noticed, that I'm almost always guilty of, is having paint chipping and wearing especially on the prop hub, but not on the blades. I guess I'm just glad to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't always do that.

Joel

Hello Joel, thank you very much. Building older kits is the same fun as with newer ones, the Rotol propeller had blades made of wood. My first "version" had metal chipping.
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2015 - 12:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A Hurri is always a nice sight to see. Well done, Bernd!
Need to build one in British markings ....

Thank you very much Torsten, the Hurricane look somewhat "cool"
and i am really looking forward to your coming RAF Hurricane.
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2015 - 12:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bernd,
Your chipping and shading looks excellent! I don't think I would ever have guessed that this was an 'outdated' kit.

Gary

Thanks for the positive feedback, Gary. The old Airfix kit need some more TLC. There is not much detail in the cockpit and the wheel bays, thats improved on newer kits.
My watch list on a certain online auction site has always some older kits included, the current one is a Monogram P-39 in 1/48 scale.
phumbles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 82 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2015 - 03:50 PM UTC
Hi Bernd,
I like what you have done with your Hurricane looks good.
Have fun,Phil
 _GOTOTOP