Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hobbycraft 1/48 Me109K "The last of the last
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
AeroScale: 1,517 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 02:51 AM UTC
Well would you look at that I'm doing another build log! You guys sick of me yet? LOL actually no don't answer that I might not like the answers.

I'm part of the 1945 campaign and I am building the Hobbycraft kit with the Cooper Details cockpit update set. A really very nice set if you can find it, it has resin exhausts, a whitemetal tailwheel, photo-etch harness, resin barrels for the fuselage MG's and of course a very nicely detailed cockpit. The Hobbycraft kit has very fine recessed panel lines, a little too fine in places, and a rudimentary cockpit at best.

The Cooper's Detail set will update the kit very very nicely. The resin set is not designed for this kit, it's actually for the Monogram kit but I've found that it fits this kit perfectly.

I have removed all internal detail from the side walls squared off the back of the cockpit (as you would also do for the Monogram kit) and removed the mount for the instrument panel rounding the fuselage out for the new resin I.P. I had to cut and glue in some square stock styrene to make a surface to solidly attach the I.P. to. After gluing it I found that the cockpit sits pretty much smack on in the fuselage. A little filing was needed to get it to sit flush with the top of the side walls but I was impressed with how easy everything has fitted inside. No thinning down the fuselage sides to paper thin to get it to fit here! It will look pretty darn good once I've given it a wash and worn it a little. I've still to pick out the details but it's moving along nicely.

Check out pics for the details.

Comparison between resin exhausts and kits. You can't see it very well but the ends of the resin exhausts are hollow!

The exhausts are simple drop in replacements for the kit parts a little filing of the exhaust shroud on the port side is required for a decent fit in this area.

The metal pin sticking out the side is a repair for the missing resin pin to mount the trim wheels and chain on.

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 03:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well would you look at that I'm doing another build log! You guys sick of me yet?

Yes! Seriously sick of you, but only because I am extremely jealous of the amount of bench time you are able to put in!

Awesome start mate, looks great. I will be following this build closely.

Cheers, D
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 03:42 AM UTC
I did mention once that between this, housework and work there isn't much else I do LOL. Sad really ..... nahhhh not really I really enjoy working on my models. As always welcome aboard D LOL jealousy and all!
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 04:52 AM UTC
Always glad to see you, Chris! Especially when you are building my favorite family of aircraft. There are some really interesting schemes for real late production machines due to either paint shortages, rushed production, or RLM color directives. Can't wait to see yours finished.

Gary
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 08:05 AM UTC
Wow, Cooper Details, there's a name I haven't heard in ages.
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 11:50 AM UTC
Hi Matt! Yes sadly long out of production but still available on occasion from eBay. I got this set with the kit I'm currently building and I'm pleasantly surprised with how buildable it is.
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2015 - 01:54 PM UTC
Okay I've got the cockpit assembled painted and in place. it looks pretty great just need to dry brush a little white over the I.P. to make the gauges pop a little and then it's time for the seat harness.

Compare the kit wheel covers with the resin ones totally different beasts!

And the worlds ugliest prop! Anybody suggest a good replacement?

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2015 - 08:17 PM UTC
Chris,
Wow, Blog number 2 !! I'm really impressed.

You've made excellent progress on the cockpit with the resin replacement, which really looks quite detailed.

One of the big advantages of resin replacement parts like the exhausts, is that they're already hollowed out. No need to try and do oblong shapes with a drill and files.

Looking forward to your next update.

Joel
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2015 - 01:29 PM UTC
Thanks Joel!

Okay a little further along. I have the wings on and the gaps filled. The tail wheel on as per instructions, seems a little tall but oh well, it is listed as a "long" tail wheel after all. I've also started to create the canopy restraint bar and wire rope as it is rather visible through the erla hood.

c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 06:30 AM UTC
Working on the canopy and the drop tank just adding a few details that aren't included. Namely the band around the tank and the rear fillets on the armour glass I'll paint it soon and then proceed to install it.

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 11:39 AM UTC
Looking good Chris, great detail work!

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 10:16 PM UTC
Chris,
Very impressive detailing work, especially that tank band.
Joel
Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 339 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 11:52 PM UTC
Nice detailling :-
Could you please post a pic of the interior?
gr TC
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 11:32 AM UTC
@Lars: As soon as I've got the belts in I'll see what I can do .... small space BIG camera LOL.

@Joel: Merci mon ami! Pleased you like the progress so far Joel. I only hope that I can bring it up to the Joel Willstein standard of excellence!

@Damian: Cheers buddy! Great to have you hovering over my shoulder metaphorically speaking.
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 02:01 PM UTC
Okay Lars these are pretty much the best I can get still got to add a wash to create a little shadow and dirt, but here you go.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 10:37 PM UTC
Chris,
Those belts and harnesses look incredible.

Joel
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 01:01 PM UTC
Aw shucks Joel you sure know how to make a fellow modeller blush! They did appear to be a little two dimensional to me but after the wash with burnt umber oil paint they look much better, take a look for yourselves.

GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 01:17 PM UTC
Great looking seatbelts, Chris
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 01:28 PM UTC
Cheers Gary they do look quite good and more three dimensional than decals that's for sure. I'm think of using precut cloth ones for my next 1/32nd build.
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 01:37 PM UTC
I like the idea of having nice stuff with a kit, but I get lazy when it comes to chasing aftermarket. I've been using Tamiya tape and bits of foil.
bzak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 264 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 08:38 PM UTC
Howdy,

Cool build so far.

Ultracast makes wide prop blades that could be grafted on to the prop hub.

http://www.ultracast.ca/products/48/050/default.htm

Brian Riedel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 - 09:47 PM UTC
Chris,
Once I tried seat belt/Harness Tamiya decals, and honestly hated the finished look. They literally had a painted on feel and look to them, as that's what decals do best, replicate paint, not 3D objects.

Like so many others here, I tend to use Eduard PE colored sets if possible, as the basic painting is even done for you. I've tried tape in various configurations, and while the tape works well, I've never been able to come up with a really nice looking buckles, and metal adjusters, etc. I can see there being a market for PE ones in 1/48 scale and up.

Joel
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 11:10 PM UTC
Cheers for the link Brian. In my search for a wide chord blade for the kit I came across a spare I had from a Tamiya Fw190 kit while not exactly for this kit it does improve the look of the spinner quite a bit. While looking for information on prop blades spinners etc I found out the the hole in the spinner for the prop blades is supposed to be tear drop shaped. The blast tube in the spinner is more pronounced and flared at the end. So I've made an effort to replicate this on the spinner provided (we'll ignore profile inconsistencies for now). Looks pretty darn good when assembled all together. (Well in my humble opinion at least lol)

BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 - 12:05 AM UTC
Good progress on that old kit, Chris! Is the Hobbycraft kit the same as Academy .... ?

Torsten
c4willy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2015 - 12:57 AM UTC
Hiya Torsten ol' buddy, thanks for the kind assesmsnt! Yes I think so .... although Academy may have "upgraded" the moulds.
 _GOTOTOP