_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Ancient Farpro Saiun Finished!
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 06:12 AM UTC
Well, after a bit of time away to work on some other stuff, I managed to get back to the Farpro Saiun that I was getting closer to finishing.

I can say that while the Saiun is a very attractive plane, the Farpro kit needs a bit of work to get it to do the real airframe justice. Still, with a bit of work and some patience, I think I got this old chestnut actually looking pretty darn good.

I love to see what I can manage to do with an older kit. I like to see if I can make an old kit look like a new kit, or at least not look quite so out of place on a show table!

Check out the fruit of my labour, and let me know what you think! Thanks!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/planes/farpro-172-nakajima-c6n1-saiun-myrt/

mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 07:53 AM UTC
Nice work Adam! Quite possible the nicest job ever done on that particular kid, who knows. I really like your interior efforts, Ive had good results lately enhancing 1/72 cockpit detail with colored pencils over paint, drawing wall structure were none existed. Looks great through a canopy.

If you ever did get the itch to enhance the decals, I dont think the 343rds saiun(s?)were extravagantly marked just a white tail number, 343-04, maybe from some spares. I have an interesting book on the 343rd but never noticed that the Saiun profile doesnt show a black nose until your build. Keep up the good work, old kits need love too!
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 08:25 AM UTC
Remarkable! You probably have the best build of this kit in the Woild, you know. I do admire the quixotic in our hobby, and this was both that and exotic.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 - 01:13 AM UTC
Adam,
Very nicely done. Your weathering really leaves the viewer with the sense of a well maintained operational aircraft.
Joel
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 - 06:57 AM UTC
Adam,
Very nicely done. You've inspired me to try doing my panel lines with a dry media on my current model instead of doing a pin wash.

I never even knew about this aurcraft before, so hopelly someday someone will do one in 1/48 scale.

Best Wishes,

Gary
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 - 08:57 AM UTC
Love your work Adam, another "silk purse from a sows ear" for you.

I really like the way you write your blogs, very entertaining and informative. Always read them several times to make sure I haven't missed anything, always come away smiling!

Cheers, D
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 - 05:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I never even knew about this aurcraft before, so hopelly someday someone will do one in 1/48 scale.

Hasegawa has a number of versions out in 1/48. There's also an ancient Tamiya 1/50, but go with Hasegawa!
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 - 05:19 PM UTC
Thanks guys!

I'm really quite surprised this old chestnut has generated as much interest as it has! I feel really flattered that people enjoy reading my blog, too. I do my best to make it entertaining and informative; I don't think we need another dry kit review site. Of course, I also try to do some more obscure stuff; I guess this was certainly that!

I prefer the dry pastel approach because I think it gives me more control. That having been said, I'm working in improving the fineness of it all so that I don't have the same kind of contrast issues I did here. I could look up how to do a pro job, I guess, but I have always found half the fun of the hobby is to try and do new things I make up in my head!

You're in luck, Gary: Hasegawa does one in 1/48! There's even an Eduard PE set for it, if I'm not mistaken. It's from the early 2000's, so it's got 40 years on the Farpro. Check out the family here:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/266933-hasegawa-09488-nakajima-c6n1-s-night-fighter-saiun-myrt-w-30mm-cannon

Thanks for the support, guys!
 _GOTOTOP