_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Do we REALLY need Future/Klear?
Armored76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
AeroScale: 51 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 10:43 PM UTC
Hello,

Since Future/Klear is not sold here in Germany I was wondering if it is really a necessity or just a cheapskate trick to save some money? I mean, I have done some tests with Revell Clear Gloss on clear parts and the results are (to my standards) fine.

Is Future that much better in the end result or is it really just the price?

Thanks a bunch!
Cristian
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
AeroScale: 290 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 10:48 PM UTC
Price plus result will always dictate an items value.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 11:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Price plus result will always dictate an items value.

Or in more common terminology :

Future is a cleaning product that gives at 5 euro a bottle for 1 litre the same results as dedicated modelling products at 10 euro for a few centiliter.
Armored76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 - 11:55 PM UTC
Thanks! So... it's not worth raising hell trying to get a bottle when the normal gloss acrylics would do just as well? Am I getting this right?
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 12:47 AM UTC
yes, you are, at least in my opinion.

By the way, Future is not produced anymore so raising hell will not work. A miracle will be more appropriate.

And if all else fails, many people have tried finding alternatives; Just google: "the complete future by Matt swan" and light will shine upon you
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 02:57 AM UTC
Hi there

I'm glad I laid in a stock of Klear while the original formula was still available. It was great stuff - and amazing value for money (if they'd had any sense, they'd have released a "modellers'" version at ## x the price and we'd probably have still snapped it up!)

But getting back to the crux of your original question: Cristian - if you're happy with the results you're getting with Revell's varnish, that's great - don't let reports of other products put you off what works for you. There are other things that also do a great job (e.g. Gunze Sangyo is often recommended) - so just experiment and find what suits you best... trial and error is really the core of everything we do. Just let us know if you find a great new alternative.

All the best

Rowan
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 03:08 AM UTC
W5 Bodenglanz available at Lidl supermarkets has very similar properties as Future, maybe you could try it.

Vicious
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 03:11 AM UTC
If you want future/Klir/Pladge etc... and you dont find any more Humbrol produce a "copy"....yes is a lot more expensive!

http://www.humbrol.com/uk-en/humbrol-gloss-clear-125ml-bottle.html

work exactly in the same way,clear,acrilyc,self levelling ect...
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

W5 Bodenglanz available at Lidl supermarkets has very similar properties as Future, maybe you could try it.

Hi Gábor

Thanks for the heads-up! I never know what much in advance what my local Lidl is going to stock, but I'll keep an eye open for it. Their cellulose thinners is excellent.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 04:05 AM UTC
here in the states Future is now marketed as Pledge, it's the same exact stuff.

At one time it was my only gloss, now I only use it for small brush jobs. My go to gloss these days is Alcad's Gloss #310, and my Flat of choice is their #314. I still use Testors Glosscoat and Dullcoat from time to time as I have a few bottles of each still.

Joel
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 05:28 AM UTC
I probably bought the last 3 bottles of Pledge Floor Care in Australia a year ago. I reckon they should last me nine years. Hopefully by then I'll come up with an inexpensive alternative.

Gary
Robbd01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
AeroScale: 213 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 05:37 AM UTC
Amazon FTW (do ppl still say that?) anyways here is the link.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pledge+future+floor+care

Cheers

Not sure if it is available everywhere - your mileage may vary...

Update...
It seems using future is loosing its luster (sorry about the pun)

Another KitMaker link related to the subject

https://archive.kitmaker.net/forums/242747

goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 11:36 AM UTC
Hi guys!
Please let me add something. Especially for the german (maybe european) members this could work. For me the best floor wax to use is "ERDAL GLÄNZER" (available at OBI and Hagebau and maybe some other).
Try also Amazon: http://www.amazon.de/Gl%C3%A4nzer-Strapazierglanz-1-L/dp/B00OUCISDK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451455856&sr=8-1&keywords=erdal+gl%C3%A4nzer

It's milky in the (blue) bottle but cures shiny clear.(used it recently on my painted Bulldog-engine before the wash, see "fixed gear campaign").

Same you can achieve with Lidl's "W5" (blue bottle) and with "Putzmeister" from NETTO (white and blue). All clear stuff that is only removable with ammonium chloride (Salmiak)will work because they have acrylic polymeres to tighten the surface.

Thomas
Armored76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 11:58 AM UTC
I'm so glad this topic initiated this discussion! Thanks for all the great suggestions!

It seems like adding W5 Bodenglanz or Erdal Glänzer would also imply adding a new airbrush cleaner (e.g. Ajax Glass).

Just to make sure we are all talking about the same products:

We all mean these, right?

Thanks again!
Cristian
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 12:14 PM UTC
That's right Christian!
But be aware not to ruin your airbrush, these stuff is hard to remove. Use 25% amonnia http://www.amazon.de/Salmiakgeist-3-fach-Ammoniak-L%C3%B6sung-25-technisch/dp/B011UZ6HZA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_121_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=01UBEgBFKuL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=01K7CPMAE5MKK6EJQ1ZK or Ajax with ammonia (Or the brands own basic cleaner). And rinse again with water, since it will harm the seals. And don't let the floor waxes dry out into your airbrush!
Thomas
Armored76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 06:02 PM UTC
Thank you, Thomas! Honestly, this sounds like another good reason for me to not use this stuff...
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 07:27 PM UTC
[/quote]

Hi Gábor

Thanks for the heads-up! I never know what much in advance what my local Lidl is going to stock, but I'll keep an eye open for it. Their cellulose thinners is excellent.

All the best

Rowan [/quote]

I am not sure if it is marketed in all countries where Lidl is present, but it is surely available in Austria and Germany. Also there is a product, SIDOLUX which is basically the same. This is made in Poland and is available in Poland, Slovakia and Czech rep. in supermarkets. These are white in liquid form but dry clear, thin as water and spray very easily. Since it contains much water the surface seems to shrink considerably while drying. It creates a thinner coat than Future does but the properties are roughly the same.

gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 07:32 PM UTC
the W5 bodenglanz I use looks like this (right side):
http://i.marktplaats.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/Y2UAAOSwSHZWdodc/$_84.JPG

while SIDOLUX is this:
http://pac.itrinec.cz/uploads/images/pictures/sidolux/lesk%20drevo.jpg

for me both have worked. No wonder material but sometimes useful.

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 07:54 PM UTC
Hi Cristian,

Good question.

Yes, there are more-available model products out there that perform exceptionally well.

Do we REALLY need Future/Klear?

If one can buy it, I say absolutely. For performance, economy, price, easy of use and versatility (I know people who use it to 'glue' on canopies and 1/700 P/E ship railing.) I believe it is the best product available for modelers. I bought a bottle (12oz?) for $6; compare that to my similar Polly Scale clear finish at $5 for .5oz.

That's my 2c worth.
48thscale
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 229 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 08:52 PM UTC
For the few that want to:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Original-Future-Floor-Wax-250ml-for-Tamiya-Humrol-Airfix-Acrylic-Decal-Sol-Soft-/231144736712?hash=item35d14cc7c8:g:AdMAAOxyIYhSX2VN

H.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 03:30 PM UTC
Hi All,

I was a "heavy" user of Klear, and I like the stuff, but like most other countries, it has not been available here in Sweden for more than five years.

As my supply dwindled I started experimenting with other fluids. In the end I was hooked by AlcladII and their "newish" range of varnishes. The Aqua gloss is water based and works really well, a bit like Future, and in my opinion leaves a better surface for decaling. The Flat and Matte coats performs really well for finishing, though they are not so good to breathe (Though how healthy is it to inhale a vaporised cleaning product?) Wear a mask and use in a well ventilated room!

I still have about a quarter of a bottle of Future – but I'm feeling confident enough to say I woun't use it. So the answer to the question in my opinion is: No we don't need Future.

My two pence

/All the best for the new modelling year 2016
Mikael
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Reporter
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 03:09 AM UTC
My go-to site for anything, everything on Future:

The Complete Future

Cheers,

Tat
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 04:51 AM UTC
I purchased the last 3 litres of Pledge One Go from my local Supermarket about 3 years ago and have barely used any of the first bottle. I dip coat my aircraft canopies in it and it allows me to use CA glue on the clear parts without any fogging. I brush coat it on to some aircraft builds prior to decaling but I have found that a lot of AM decals are now so good that there is very little silvering even when I place them directly over Tamiya acrylics. I have never airbrushed it as I heard some horror stories about gummed up airbrushes.

Cheers, D
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 05:20 AM UTC
This isn't going to go well....

I don't actually care for Future, I avoid using it for as much as possible.

_GOTOTOP