_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Sopwith Camel (1:72) - gettin' small(er)
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 609 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 07:07 PM UTC
Hi there,

For those who have wondered, I am alive... Past two years have not treated me well. I moved with my family from one country to another, quit my job... and I even had to sell some of my stash. But I am back now, and don't expect too much, since I have to warm up again... and start small!!! I will have fun with some bits and pieces that have survived the crisis... I will treat myself with some leftovers of Revell's 1:72 Sopwith Camel with a bit of this and that, and some scratching as well... Treat me kind, because I am just warming up!

I will start posting some photos, but only after I get to know how to do it again

All the best,

and it's good to be live and modelling, again!
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 01:14 PM UTC
Just a few photos of the finished fuselage... Plastruct 0.5 mm square rods with some PE leftover enhancement. Yes, and my favorite and cheap paper jig The platform is now ready to receive some details... Hope you like it! Comments welcome!

Images are taken with my phone... Sorry, I have no better alternative, and no photo enhancement software.

All the best,
E
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 11:35 PM UTC
Inspiring build and sorry for the circumstances - welcome back in the saddle.

The photos are actually pretty good - watching with interest and some understandable jealousy...
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 02:15 AM UTC
Awesome detailing! Hopefully your effort will be visible. As I remember the Camel in this scale is really small!

Oliver
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 02:18 AM UTC
Thank you for the interest... hopefully I won't let you down! I am working on some bits and pieces at the moment, and will post more soon!

All the best,
E
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 11:24 PM UTC
This is old school something I haven't done for years. looking really good. I like the use of Card (even if you may replace it).

Captn Tommy
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 02:31 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Thanks for your comments and encouragement... There was not much work over here, but I managed to finish the instrumental panel. The photo is not doing justice to the panel, and it looks pretty nice concerning the scale (that match looks huge next to it!)... In my honest opinion, the pulsometer is the highlight of the instrumental panel... Let's see how this will turn out in the end Comments are welcome...

All the best,
E
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 12:26 PM UTC
Good to have you back Entoni!

Looking forward to follow this, I've tried it once many years ago but never finished my build (a Swedish "Tummelisa" trainer fighter from the 1920s).

Magnus
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 01:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good to have you back Entoni!

Looking forward to follow this, I've tried it once many years ago but never finished my build (a Swedish "Tummelisa" trainer fighter from the 1920s).

Magnus

Hi Magnus... I remember some of your builds very vividly! And thanks for your words of encouragement. One of my next builds is Enoch Thulin's D-type in 1:48... It would be nice to have you then. I have some Vague resources on the Thulin's machines, but this particular type is a variation of the Morane Saulnier L, but I also noticed few differences. However, I have no information on the cockpit whatsoever. No photos or anything that may serve as a resource for my build... I am also waiting for the Small Stuff's beautiful Le Rhone. See you soon, and thanks for following the build!

All the best,
E
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 09:39 PM UTC
Good to see you back to your old tricks Entoni! Nice work indeed so far.

Michael
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 10:36 PM UTC
Very nice!
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 - 11:08 PM UTC
Hi Michael and Stephen... Nice to be back, and to receive so much encouragement! Thanks for your comments and interest!

Soon,
E
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2016 - 10:46 PM UTC
Entoni! Thulin aircraft are a long way from my area of "expertise" (or whatever we should call it) but I'll try my best to help you when time comes! I have however worked for that company but that was 70 years after the day they stopped doing aircraft !

Magnus
Louis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bas-Rhin, France
KitMaker: 472 posts
AeroScale: 471 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 10:02 PM UTC
Oh my god!
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 11:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh my god!

Hi Louis,

Should I take this as a compliment? LOL

Great to see you here! Been following some of your builds as well...

All the best,
E
Louis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bas-Rhin, France
KitMaker: 472 posts
AeroScale: 471 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 - 03:18 AM UTC
Of course it's a compliment.

And it is so small!!!
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 05:17 AM UTC
OK, folks... Just a quick update. Those who don't know me should get used to it! I simply change my mind too often... and I am a bit silly, too! I didn't like the look of the etched instrument panel, and I decided to go with my own interpretation... It is not 100% accurate, but is satisfyingly so The scale of this model is such that barely anything apart the panel itself is hardly noticeable... and magnification just won't do justice to the overall appeal of the original panel... The match is still huge, and the panel will receive final detailing when positioned in place ( I don't want to do it now)... That wet look is due to a coat of future that has not dried yet... I believe it will be even better in the morning when it dries out to a satin finish. Hope you like it so far...

All the best,
E
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2016 - 04:33 PM UTC
Hi folks,

It's time for another update... I had to wait for some aftermarket parts to arrive, but I already promised this will be a slow build.

First of all, I have this beautiful Le Rhone 9J from Small Stuff. I have no words to compliment Evgeny and his outstanding craftsmanship and attention to detail that makes his work standing out when compared with competition. A review of the item is long overdue, but I will try to emphasize some prominent features of this small engine during my build.

The next is a pair of Vickers MkI from Mini World. These are simply beautifully cast in metal, and all the small details are really standing out. You also get an etched ammo belt, which is very nice addition having in mind the actual scale.

I don't have a proper camera, but I think you can judge even from this blurry photos about the quality of casting.

Then comes my scratched control stick, which is also ok, me thinks, but it was really hard to make it in this scale. The part of the excitement from this build comes from my enjoyment in scratching bits and pieces, and I hope there will be more in store for you...

... and finally, a photo confirmation that the end result with the instrumental panel is more than pleasing. I hope you like it too... I switched to the liner, so you can see the actual size of each item.

All the best, and thanks for following!

E
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 06:33 PM UTC
It is truly amazing the quality you acheived considering the small scale!
Indeed it would be outstanding also in 1:32.. but 1:72 WOW
it blows my mind!

great build indeed!
ciao
Edo
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 10:44 PM UTC
Edo, thank you for your nice comments! Doing things nicely in this scale requires both patience and skill... It is truly a challenge! Today I scratched the main fuel tank and gravity tank, and I am also working on several smaller parts. Will post some images soon... Thanks for visiting!

All the best,
E
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2016 - 06:37 PM UTC
Hi folks,

Just a quick update on the fuel tank. I scratched it from a leftover piece of resin, added three styrene straps (with simulated rivets), and primed with ak-interactive primer. It is not finished yet, but it turned out quite well... lot's of fine sandpapers involved Tonight I will work on the gravity and oil tank, and ammo canisters. Hope you like it!

... and thanks for stopping by!

All the best,
E
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2016 - 07:43 PM UTC
Entoni, Your work here is excellent! Personally Ive found scratch building my own details and working in smaller scales to be very rewarding. I havent done very much of combining the two, as you do but eventually I will and your build here is great inspiration. Im not sure how much use youll have for the actually kit!

I really like your scratch built instrument panel better than the etch, seems more alive. The oil pulsometer is certainly the highlight, how did you make it? Im also excited to see the small stuff LeRhone 9j in use. Ive seen them advertised but no reviews or close ups yet.
eseperic
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2016 - 08:38 PM UTC
mrockhill, thanks for your comments! I personally like scratching my own bits and pieces, and this build is no exception. I didn't mention that the fuselage will be stripped, so that all the interior parts will ultimately be visible. Therefore the attention to details. The pulsometer is scratched from a tiny piece of stretched transparent plastic leftover, and glued to a plastic base with a pinch of liquid glue. When it dried, I gave it a coat of future, hence it's translucent! I am happy if you liked my build so far!

E
 _GOTOTOP