World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
A6M2b Zero
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 10:41 AM UTC
Fantastic work, Ernest! Your pilot is really coming along well!

Gary
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 12:28 PM UTC
Thank you Joel, the figure's face will look even better once the oils have dried; I'll make sure to take a photo so you can see the difference. The deck is turning out nicely thus far, I have just about decided to drill out the 52 tie downs and replace them with scratch built metal ones, darned AMS kicking in! I was going to paint the deck after the varnish cured, but my sources indicate that flight decks of Japanese carriers were yellowish to a warm toned medium brown in color. I might just leave the deck color as is just adding a white line or two, after sanding it smooth and then weathering it. What do you think?

Ernest

Quoted Text

Ernest,
I've never painted a figure, so I'm totally in awe of yours. He looks fantastic. And that deck. OMG, does it look real.

Joel

greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 12:30 PM UTC
Thank you Gary. I plane to add highlights and shadows to the uniform tonight after works and home chores. I will be gone Tuesday-Friday on a business trip so that will be the last work I'll be able to do for a few days.

Ernest

Quoted Text

Fantastic work, Ernest! Your pilot is really coming along well!

Gary

Kilo_Uniform
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 280 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 04:59 PM UTC
Hi Ernest

Excellent work sir! Your detailing of the engine, your pilot and the wooden deck are all top class. Congratulations.

Looking forward to the next update.

Regards,
Kobus
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2016 - 11:51 PM UTC
Following are a couple of photos after the oil paint has dried. I still have to do a bit of buffing and a touch up or two to finalize the faces, though they look pretty good at normal viewing distances right now. I think you can now see the blending shadows and highlights gives the faces some life and more of a 3 dimensional look. The photos also clearly show the difference in quality between an injected molded figure and resin castings.

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2016 - 06:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you Joel, the figure's face will look even better once the oils have dried; I'll make sure to take a photo so you can see the difference. The deck is turning out nicely thus far, I have just about decided to drill out the 52 tie downs and replace them with scratch built metal ones, darned AMS kicking in! I was going to paint the deck after the varnish cured, but my sources indicate that flight decks of Japanese carriers were yellowish to a warm toned medium brown in color. I might just leave the deck color as is just adding a white line or two, after sanding it smooth and then weathering it. What do you think?

Ernest,
Like I said, the deck looks great. With your scratched out tie downs it will look that much better. But it looks brand new, and all the boards are identical. I would randomly mask off a min of a 1/4 or so of the boards, and lightly weather them. Some a bleaching stain, some a darker stain, and some a redish brown.

I realize it's a lot of work, but in the end it would be worth the effort. I've seen scratch built decks out of wood strips, and that's how they were finished. looked great.

Joel
DaGreatQueeg
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2016 - 07:08 AM UTC
That flight deck looks wicked! Nice pilot so far too .....

cheers
Brent
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2016 - 12:07 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys.

Joel, I plan to do more work to the flight deck. I stained it last night to give it more of a an overall light medium brown hue that I think is pretty close to the color of Japanese carrier decks circa 1942 and makes the deck very pleasing to the eye - mine at least. The next step will be to use a couple of different stains on select boards to add variety to the deck. I then plan to paint a single white line to give a bit of visual interest. Finally, I'll add a few nicks and chips here and there to give the deck a used look. Coupled with drilling out the holes for the tie downs there is still a lot of work ahead on this one.

Alas, I depart shortly on a business trip and don't return until late afternoon/early evening Friday; so there is now a bit of a work stoppage.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 01:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the comments guys.

Joel, I plan to do more work to the flight deck. I stained it last night to give it more of a an overall light medium brown hue that I think is pretty close to the color of Japanese carrier decks circa 1942 and makes the deck very pleasing to the eye - mine at least. The next step will be to use a couple of different stains on select boards to add variety to the deck. I then plan to paint a single white line to give a bit of visual interest. Finally, I'll add a few nicks and chips here and there to give the deck a used look. Coupled with drilling out the holes for the tie downs there is still a lot of work ahead on this one.

Alas, I depart shortly on a business trip and don't return until late afternoon/early evening Friday; so there is now a bit of a work stoppage.

Ernest,
your plan sounds perfect. Can't wait to see the end results.

Joel
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 02:17 PM UTC
Thank you for the kind words Brent.

I have finished painting and weathering the flight deck. I put a second coat of a slightly different color of wood stain on the deck to give it slight color variations. I followed that by adding a third color stain to individual boards to provide depth. The next step was adding fluid stains. I did this using a couple of different AK Interactive washes dipping the brush in the bottle and then a bottle of turpentine; then tapping the brush against my finger causing the wash to splatter. Finally, I used a broken micro drill bit to lightly chip the surface. I still have to install the metal tie downs; and I have decided to goes with some PE ones; hopefully they arrive soon.

After the second coat of stain.

Individual boards are stained and white strip painted.

Various fluid stains.

Close up of the scratching and chipping.
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 02:28 PM UTC
Nice looking wood detail, Ernest!
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 02:43 PM UTC
Thank you Gary! Hopefully I can work in the PE tie downs without messing it up.

Quoted Text

Nice looking wood detail, Ernest!

Kilo_Uniform
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 03:51 PM UTC
The deck is looking very good Ernest!
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 08:24 PM UTC
Thank you Kobus, we'll see how it all looks when I'm finished with it.

I am done painting the shadows and highlights on the pilot figure. I snapped a couple of quick in photos while the paint was still wet. I'll take another shot tomorrow after everything is dried out.

Shadows laid in.

Highlights complete and blended.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 08:06 PM UTC
Ernest,
The figure really looks quite good. I still marvel at how steady your hand must be to work on those small details.

I'm just totally amazed at how the flight deck is turning out. You could easily convince me that it's a picture of the real thing, and I'd believe you. It's that good.

Joel
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 10:22 PM UTC
Thank you Joel, the figure turned out ok for an injection mold figure. The uniform and pose are actually quite good.

If I can bring off the metal tie downs on the deck and do a decent job framing around the base it will make a nice show plate for the model.

Unfortunately, I have had a work stoppage on the plane. The fellow I gave the extra parts to, that included the two parts I need to make the other wing tip that I sent by mistake, has said he mailed the two parts back to me over 21 days ago. However, I am not sure that is the case, as it normally takes 6-8 business days for a small package to reach me, and he said the post office did not ask for a customs form, which they always require when shipping to an APO. So I am skeptical that I will see those parts again. I have contacted another modeler, as well as, Tamiya to see about purchasing the two parts I need.

Hopefully I will get the situation resolved soon.

Ernest

Quoted Text

Ernest,
The figure really looks quite good. I still marvel at how steady your hand must be to work on those small details.

I'm just totally amazed at how the flight deck is turning out. You could easily convince me that it's a picture of the real thing, and I'd believe you. It's that good.

Joel

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 03:12 AM UTC
Ernest,

That really sucks. I know the feeling of having to stop due to missing or broken parts, then spend the time trying to locate them at a decent price. There was one time I had to buy another kit. But one other time while building the GHW Devastator that the importer's rep was kind enough to send me a replacement cowling. So it usually balances out.

Joel
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 07:39 AM UTC
Did you find the inner landing gear doors ridiculously tedious to assemble?

When you say 'post shading' do you mean a wash?
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 12:02 PM UTC
Joel, lesson learned on my part. Hopefully Tamiya will answer my query soon.

Quoted Text

Ernest,

That really sucks. I know the feeling of having to stop due to missing or broken parts, then spend the time trying to locate them at a decent price. There was one time I had to buy another kit. But one other time while building the GHW Devastator that the importer's rep was kind enough to send me a replacement cowling. So it usually balances out.

Joel

greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 12:09 PM UTC
Hi Matt, I thought the entire landing gear assembly was overly complex and a pain to assemble. Trying to make the model a cross between a toy and a static scale representation of the real thing was not a good choice by Tamiya. I opted to glue the gear in a "weighted" attitude so the plane sits right. This, and the decals, were the only aspect of the model that I found to be negative, the rest was outstanding.

I did mean panel wash when I said post shading. I did not have to do very much as I managed to hit the sweet spot while airbrushing and got the effect I was after the first time for the most part.

Quoted Text

Did you find the inner landing gear doors ridiculously tedious to assemble?

When you say 'post shading' do you mean a wash?

greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 02:19 AM UTC
The Zero is finished! Though I still have to complete the carrier deck base, I couldn't resist taking several photos with the plane and pilot posed on it. Overall, I am very satisfied with the build, though, as usual, I managed to make a mistake or two. I like the overall paint job, and find it to be pleasing to my eye, and I think I managed to hit the "sweet spot" of showing a moderately worn and faded aircraft during the Aug-Oct 1942 timeframe. Likewise, I think I got the cockpit about right. As far as the pilot goes, the face could have been better, but a lot of that is due to the limitations of injection molding vs casting; the uniform turned out pretty decently. I am less pleased with the decals, I could have done a better job with them. I plan to make a few posts showing different aspects of the build. All comments and critiques are welcome.

greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 02:28 AM UTC
Following are some close up shots.

greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 02:35 AM UTC
Only a few more detail shots for tonight, as photobucket is acting up.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 05:27 AM UTC
Ernest,
Just a fantastic build.

Joel
Kilo_Uniform
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 10:34 AM UTC
Hi Ernest,

Congratulations on an excellent model!!

I also think you hit the "sweet spot" with your painting and weathering on the plane. Your pilot looks outstanding and the deck is simply unreal!

Regards,
Kobus