_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
CAM de Dunkerque Hanriot colour question
JackG
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 172 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 01:37 PM UTC
Looking to paint one of these up, but not quite sure what to do with this floatplane:

Looks to be two colours, or perhaps overall aluminum/silver with the bare metal being shiny? Kit is HR Models, and they suggest a light blue grey, but online finds all sorts of ideas, including the traditional doped linen.

regards,
Jack
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 - 01:19 AM UTC
Hi Jack,

I reckon the alu-dope with bare metal cowling is the way to go here.

This is how the contemporary land based Nieuports were finsished, before the four/five tone cammo came into use. The alu dope would look greyish from some angles, but closer inspection would reveal a metallic sheen. I think agood measeure of medium grey with perhaps 10-20% silver would be about right.

Hope this helps.
/Mikael
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 - 02:05 AM UTC
Michael is correct in the coverage from the factory for most Hanriot HD sea aircraft (like D 20 & 37). But as you can see D 30 has a replacement top wing of the typical camouflage type. For more on the subect see the Search box above and type in - Hanriot HD - with the selector dot on aeroscale.co.uk Not on "web".

See here.
Removed by original poster on 02/27/16 - 06:38:09 (GMT).
JackG
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 172 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 - 11:38 AM UTC
Thank you both, Mikael and Stephen.

Never considered the upper wings were camouflaged on D30, so might change the serial code as that find just brings up more questions.

I noticed the back end of the fuselage is darker, and artist conceptions tend to illustrate this as dark grey, but could it be red to match the rudder stripe?

regards,
Jack
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2016 - 03:46 PM UTC
Hi there

It's interesting how strongly the rib tapes stand out on the non-camouflaged wings.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP