_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
OFFICIAL: Egg Squared (Caricature) Campaign
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 04:49 AM UTC
Welcome to the Egg Squared Campaign! The campaign will run from 1 May through 1 November, 2016.

If you want to see the rules and join up, look here. To post finished model shots, go to the campaign gallery. Discussion about builds and the campaign generally post in this thread.

Looking forward to some very eggselent builds!

Michael
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
AeroScale: 201 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 05:16 AM UTC
Thanks Michael. Looking forward to getting the Tup started.

Mike
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 07:34 PM UTC
This is what I'm building for this campaign:

The paint scheme I intend:

The parts-breakdown. Not too many. Though this is a "snap-fit" kit, I am amazed at the quality of molding and fit. (decals under the blue section are aftermarket. kit decals are stickers)

I started this morning. The bombs are two pieces each. I used Tamiya Thin glue throughout. Propellers are also two parts; hub with blades and the 'collar' that'll keep it in place once the upper and lower halves are put together. I added the lower halves of the engine cowling to the bottom half of the fuselage (again, Tamiya Thin helps seal up the exceptionally tiny gap - did I say fit was excellent?), the engine air intakes to the top section of the engine cowling, and the tail boom to the top section.

I'll give the cement plenty of time to cure then prime.

As simple as this kit is, Meng did an excellent job.

Mike
bwiber
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 436 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 11:34 PM UTC
Looking good..... Wondered how the Meng kits were.... might have to look at picking up the Grief...

Don't know if you have seen this site or not.... http://www.milto.net/eggstreme-machines.php
Some very egg-ceptional scratch builds.

Now I just have to decide what I am going to build....

Bob
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 12:57 AM UTC
Bob, considering the Meng kit is "merely" a Snap-Tite, it's fantastic. They really look good up close (I have all of them).

These would be great for a Parent/Grand-Parent/Child build or for those (like me) that really like the Egg'rs.

The Eggstreme-Machines site is neat; amazing the imagination some people have.

Mike
bwiber
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 08:58 AM UTC
Mike,

Well, I have to admit I have a thing for egg-centric modeling. Built an Albatross D.V after I finished the WNW kit, and have been collecting ideas for a while. Am seriously looking at building another Albatross... this time an HU-16, but haven't figured out all the ins-and-outs of that one yet. The Eggstreme-Machines site is definitely a source of inspiration.

I had been going to build a Me109 but decided to go with the P-40 instead. So, here is the box art....

And the contents....

Am going to have to do a couple little things to the kit... it has to be backdated to a B version. Mostly this involves, for this build anyway, adding the two nose guns.

Figured on building this aircraft....

Various sources attribute this to Lt. Taylor during his flights on Dec. 7th, 1941 at Pearl Harbor. I don't know if that is true, but that is the plane I am building....

Bob
bwiber
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 - 03:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Figured on building this aircraft....

Various sources attribute this to Lt. Taylor during his flights on Dec. 7th, 1941 at Pearl Harbor. I don't know if that is true, but that is the plane I am building....

Actually, it is attributed to Lt. Welch who flew with Taylor.... my mistake. There is a nice account of their activities on YouTube...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS8HWFWaqa4

Bob
bwiber
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 08:32 AM UTC
Ok, I actually started playing with the kit and it looks like this....

I am adding the nose guns, filling in the middle shell ejector slot as the B model only has 2 wing guns on each side, and as I am not installing the belly tank I am filling its mounting hole. I still have to remove the middle gun barrels on the wings and the radio antenna mast behind the cabin.

Other than that, it should be pretty much out of the box..... :-/

Bob
BoiseBlade
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 342 posts
AeroScale: 250 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 08:03 AM UTC
Hi All,

I am in! I need something easy and light hearted.....
Having a hard time with my submarine.....

Here is my entry
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 08:35 AM UTC
Welcome Jeff-D. Gotta love the SR71!

Mike
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 11:22 PM UTC
Primed and ready for the 3 colors on the outside....need to find out what color the Russians painted the interiors (like zinc chromate or...?).

Mike
bwiber
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 06, 2016 - 09:22 AM UTC
Jeff-D..... Nice. Have seen that bird in the catalogs but never picked one up. Now I get to watch you build it..

Mike..... Looks nice in primer, am interested in seeing what you come up with for a cockpit color. I got it simple... Zinc Chromate! I hope you cleaned your bench for the photos, I would hate to think that people can build on a bench that clean...

Well, I have been busy removing wing guns and adding nose guns.

Not sure if I am going to paint the instrument panel or just use the decal. However, I have been playing around with the seating.

Yes, I do know this is an egg build, but I don't normally build aircraft so I thought I would play a bit with the office painting.

You can also see the nose gun in place.... and all the guns have been drilled out.

One nice thing is that like Mike's build this one goes together tight. So far I haven't seen a gap where one shouldn't be, which is probably has more to say about their engineering than my building.

Later, Bob
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, May 06, 2016 - 05:54 PM UTC
LOL Bob, that's generally how my bench is...tho I did move some Italeri M108 and Tamiya Pak-36 parts out of the way.

Quick internet search brought me to this page: Table of colors utilized on Soviet warplanes 1937-1947 by Massimo Tessitori. Looks like "Steel Gray" for my Tu's innards.

I like your mods Bob. Eggs need AM love too!

Mike
bwiber
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2016 - 07:33 AM UTC
Mike.... my work bench has been many places, but the one constant is that it looks like a bomb went off on it.... that is according to SHMBO. Oh well, as long as we both can build something once in a while I suppose it is good....

Speaking of that....

They give you two instrument panels.... one with dials and one plain for either decals or stickers. As you can see I used the one with dials. The first one I have done in a long time.... Thankfully it will be hidden under a very thick canopy.

Looking better already! The fuselage is only snapped together at this point...

And now to move along....
Bob
BoiseBlade
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 11:02 PM UTC
Bob,

I think you did a good job on the CP.
The seat looks great as well.

Looking forward to seeing it completed.
bwiber
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 - 08:44 AM UTC
I think that you guys are going a bit egg-cessive on the positive comments....

Well, the little egg is all dressed, and standing tall. Just needs those accessories (detail painting, a touch of weathering, and the decals) that add punch to any outfit....

I was worried about finding a good OD for this one, and I think this OD is fine. The nice thing is that it is also a primer.... Vallejo Surface Primer. Wasn't quite sure if it would brush paint, but it goes on nicely. I brush painted the nose cone and propeller blades. Of course, you will have to take my word for it, as they aren't in any of the photos.

The gray on the other hand is Tamiya.... Somewhere along the line I seem to have decided to give all that messy seam filling a miss on this build. I personally don't think it detracts at all from the looks.

I am very impressed by the canopy.... for as thick as it is I think it is remarkably clear. Or am I just remembering the canopies on the old Monogram P-40? Either way, I am glad I did some detailing in the cockpit.

Later......
BoiseBlade
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 09:27 AM UTC
Ok Started working on this.
I am trying to make a BIG head pilot for it but keep running into issues using some things I have. I may just have to chop up a 1/48 Pilot to fit the sculpt the head.
Onkos1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 12:31 PM UTC
Hi Guys

I'm joining on behalf of my 6 years old daughter.
The firs kit is started, but we wan't to share with you the progress anyway.
It's a Tiger Model Corsair.

bwiber
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 02:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys

I'm joining on behalf of my 6 years old daughter.
The firs kit is started, but we wan't to share with you the progress anyway.
It's a Tiger Model Corsair.

Very nice Corsair.... I really like the blue. Am working on the P-40 and the kits are really nice. Might have to pick up one or two more in the series.

Am looking forward to seeing your finished airplane. Like I said it is really looking nice.

Bob
BoiseBlade
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 05:31 AM UTC
That Corsair and P-40 look like really nice little kits.
Interesting to see how they look when finished. Seems like a little more to them than this SR.
bwiber
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 08:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That Corsair and P-40 look like really nice little kits.
Interesting to see how they look when finished. Seems like a little more to them than this SR.

The P-40 is from the same series as the Corsair and has about the same characteristics. It would build up into a very nice little Flying Tiger model right from the box, I just decided to go another way with it. It snaps together very tight and to be honest, I didn't glue much of it.

Speaking of the model.....

I am going to call it finished. Was going to do some weathering, but really? I think that clean is good, it was a prewar aircraft after all.

The decals on the propeller are from the kit. All the others I printed off myself, so any errors in color, etc. are mine and not the kits.

Am very interested in seeing how the other builds come together. Hope that someone pops up with one of the tank kits, that KV really looked interesting.

Have fun with your builds!!!
Bob
Removed by original poster on 05/16/16 - 05:16:18 (GMT).
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 06:41 PM UTC
Quick update...brush-painted Model Master's Euro 1 Gray in the interior of the Tu-2. I really hope to get the Russian Underside Blue shot today.

Bob, the 'Hawk looks good. I really like the "canopy-shot" you provided...you can see quite a bit in there. (I've had the Corsair for some time now...and....the rest of the series are on the way from Hong Kong )

Jeff-D, looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a pilot. It seems only some of the earlier editions (jets?) had the "Big-Head" pilots. It'd be tempting to cast some....

Blazey, gotta love a Corsair! Really looking good so far.

Mike
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Reporter
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2016 - 06:48 AM UTC
Hello,

Nice builds guys. Ditto on that Corsair -- awesome color!

Well I guess its time to start mine:

Its a first for me, building a caricature kit. Very big difference to what I'm used to in terms of parts count. The kit comes in four sprues. It also includes a friction drive which can be installed optionally.

It starts off with the exhaust. It snaps-on quite well. While there was a gap after the exhaust haves were joined, it was easily corrected with a bit of sanding. I may need to scratch the exhaust pipe as there's none in the kit.

I'd say the plastic is good -- neither too soft nor brittle. Not much cleanup required. So far this is the only one that needs filling up.

The kit definitely builds quickly! If it were the normal Pz IV I'd typically be cutting, cleaning, mounting 64 pieces for the roadwheels, another 16 for the return rollers. And yes, about 200 or so individual links for the tracks. This one's surely a time saver

More to come.

Cheers,

Tat
bwiber
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2016 - 08:02 AM UTC
Tat..... Very happy to see you and the Panzer IV, was hoping to see a tank here. Now we need a ship! I agree, it definitely looks to be a time saver on the suspension units...

Guys, I have a favor to ask of all of you.....

Having just finished the egg P-40, and having to order some stuff for the next major build, I have some time to kill. I picked up a quarter scale Kubelwagen and started to think about building it. Then things got scrambled in my mind and I came up with this..

I am asking for your opinions on the proportions of the various image elements..... mostly the length, width and height of the Kubelwagen. Also, which of the wheels in the front view would be best to aim at.

Once the basic proportions and wheel size is set up I can work out the size of the actual model, as well as the details. Then I will break out the white stuff and see if I can actually goof up a model on purpose!

Thanks for your help.....
Bob
 _GOTOTOP