_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1/32 Fokker DVII kit help
hogger99
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 418 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2016 - 07:40 PM UTC
Hello,

I would like to build a 1/32 Fokker DVII, but will not pay the stupid prices for a WNW kit that people on ebay are selling them for. What is the next best kit to build?

Thanks
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2016 - 10:31 PM UTC
Here are some of the variations that have been reviewed at Aeroscale. Click Her.

The nearest scale (1/28) that you can get away with cheaply & still on the market would possibly be the Revell kit.
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 02:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello,

I would like to build a 1/32 Fokker DVII, but will not pay the stupid prices for a WNW kit that people on ebay are selling them for. What is the next best kit to build?

Thanks

The term "stupid prices" is a subjective one and simply reflects both the esteem in which these fabulous kits are held and also the demand amongst modellers for them and who missed them first time around. Big kit wise options; if you want to try the old 'Battleaxe' 1/32 Fokker DVII then if you actually manage to finish it or get any of the parts to fit together - kudos - or the Revell 1/28 one which is a fairly simple build but looks toy like when finished. Those who know the subject say it is grossly inaccurate in many areas but, in truth, "it looks like a DVII to me" as they say.

It depends how much you want one but perhaps offloading a few kits you know you will never build (we all have them) to pay for it may be a better option than simply forking straight out for one. I don't know if you have had one of the WNW DVII's in your hands but they have a terrible habit of making you reach for the wallet!

You may come across one cheap at a show or an estate sale etc and if you do, get one because what is certain is, (a) they are not making them any more at the moment (if ever) and (b) they will never get any 'cheaper'.

Good luck and if you only ever build one DVII; wait a while for it to be a WNW DVII.

Gary
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 05:18 AM UTC
I've built the Guillows 1/18? scale kit, Revell 1/28 kit, the Battle Axe 1/32 kit and the WNW 1/32 OAW kit. By far, WNW is best, but given they are all OOP, they can be pricey. The Revell kit is OK, but there are some significant shape and oversimplification issues rendering it very toylike. The Guillows kit is of course stick and tissue, and could be made into a nice model if you like large stick and tissue aircraft, and lots of scratchbuilding. The Battle Axe kit is actually not that bad given the original price of $49.00 (not sure what they are going for today), has a pretty good resin engine, PE details, and an interior frame. on the downside, it requires a lot of cleanup, has fairly brittle plastic, and is more like a cottage industry resin kit in design, requiring, as said before, lots of cleanup. The Lozenge decals are an odd color. The WNW kit is superb. If you can't find a WNW kit, but can get a Battle Axe kit cheap, go with that-- it's work but it can be built into a nice model and looks the part.
VR, Russ
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 10:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

". . .The Battle Axe kit is actually not that bad given the original price of $49.00 (not sure what they are going for today), has a pretty good resin engine, PE details, and an interior frame. On the downside, it requires a lot of cleanup, has fairly brittle plastic, and is more like a cottage industry resin kit in design, requiring, as said before, lots of cleanup. The Lozenge decals are an odd color. . .

Small correction Russ. The BA kit originally only came with a plastic motor. The resin item I used in the review was a highly modified Tom's Modelworks resin item. I had to as the kit motor was undersized and too short to fit right.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 12:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've built the Guillows 1/18? scale kit, Revell 1/28 kit, the Battle Axe 1/32 kit and the WNW 1/32 OAW kit. By far, WNW is best, but given they are all OOP, they can be pricey. The Revell kit is OK, but there are some significant shape and oversimplification issues rendering it very toylike. The Guillows kit is of course stick and tissue, and could be made into a nice model if you like large stick and tissue aircraft, and lots of scratchbuilding. The Battle Axe kit is actually not that bad given the original price of $49.00 (not sure what they are going for today), has a pretty good resin engine, PE details, and an interior frame. on the downside, it requires a lot of cleanup, has fairly brittle plastic, and is more like a cottage industry resin kit in design, requiring, as said before, lots of cleanup. The Lozenge decals are an odd color. The WNW kit is superb. If you can't find a WNW kit, but can get a Battle Axe kit cheap, go with that-- it's work but it can be built into a nice model and looks the part.
VR, Russ

I'd say the Battle Axe kit is challenge to say the least – and I agree with what Russ says. I would like to ad to this by saying that it depends on what kind of builder you are – if the BA is a good substitute for a WNW DVII or not.

If you are the persevering (masochistic) type with lots of experience of sanding and grinding – the type who likes making a silk purse out of a sows ear – then go for it. If you are more of a comfort builder that thinks Tamiya quality is your thing then – stay away! I have built both the BA and the WNW DVII and they can't be compared in the same universe in my opinion. Also you will end up spending extra money on the BA getting AM lozenge etc. The WNW is good to go as is.

My two cents

/Mikael
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 - 10:36 AM UTC

I'd say the Battle Axe kit is challenge to say the least –..... Also you will end up spending extra money on the BA getting AM lozenge etc... /Mikael[/quote]

Mikael, Stephen--
My BA DVII kit did come with a resin engine, stapled to the divider on the inside of the box, I did get it second hand, so it's possible the engine was added to the kit by the previous owner. As for the lozenge decals, BA made a really nice set of aftermarket 1/32 four color lozenge decals without the "funny" coloring of the kit decals. I ran across 4 sets at another LHS in about 2012, and bought them all up. Good thing I did, because I messed up the decal application on one of my Roden kits, and used the BA lozenge-- they worked perfectly. I sold the DVII a year later, but still have the DVIII in the stash. No improvement over the DVII quality (or lack of). I agree with everybody though-- if you can find a Wingnut Wings DVII, get it, but I just ran across one today at a price of $230!!! BA has to be cheaper.
VR Russ
 _GOTOTOP