_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Roden Nieu 28.C
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 05:54 AM UTC
Well gang mine arrived three days ago. Here what I see on first glance. To compare I am using the Windsock Datafile with Mr. Ian Stair's 1992 drawings.

You have seen the images of the 1/48 scale sprues. A sprue with 17 parts B with 33 and C with 1. Instructions are 6 step exploded views. The fuselage appears 3/32 too long at the stern post. The struts appear short by 1/32 of and inch. This is of course in comparison to the drawing. The Landing gear legs are spot on. The wings are exactly correct in chord and span. Minor detail on the undersurface of the lower wing and less detail on the undersurface of the top. This is a good thing folks. Roden shows you a clip of paper that tells you to delete the cowling the has the inset but it seems they did that themselves. The insert had the cooling holes in its center. THe modification that Roden chose at the factory was similar to the Eduard treatment of their Nieuport 17 and the the Sopwith Triplane kits in the same scale. Much better in my opinion. Cabane struts are exactly correct in length. The oil tank is located on the firewall per the original. Though the firewall has an upper and lower half the tank is entirely on the upper section. The War bond posters are stickers that have a peel off backing. The choice here I think was to include all of the poster's colouring in the small scale. These are fine examples of the originals. Far better than the old K&B versions. The wet transfer decals are beautiful. The blue is exactly the same colour that Jeffers used on his Rising Sun Spad XIII. (The Lafayette Foundation has the pilot's left side section of the fabric with the Hat-N-the Ring and the rays passing behind it, from this machine.) Folks this kit is a gem. I'm sure to pick up three more. Go Roden GO!!!

More later. JackFlash
ZoomieE7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 145 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 10:44 AM UTC
Thanks, Steph. . .er. . . Jack. Now all I need are the fcm Bulgarian decals to go with it! Regards, Rob
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 01:01 PM UTC
Dude! I thought that was you...Ha-Kuna Matada!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 09:56 AM UTC
Continuing with the Nieuport 28 seen in the Sopwith Strutter thread.

So that's how you launch a Sopwith Strutter...
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2007 - 10:16 AM UTC
Here is the finished product of my Roden build...mostly OOB except for the rigging.

sbell95
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 02:52 AM UTC
What do you use for the rigging? Awesome job!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What do you use for the rigging? Awesome job!

Hello sbell95. I use smoke coloured invisible sewing thread. 5-8 mil. It can be purchased at any sewing shop.
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 06:51 AM UTC
Howdy Stephen

Mighty nice build as usual there Sir! But, am I understanding you correctly? You built this in 3-days?

Next, to your very nice photos of the Nieuport being loaded aboard the WWI-era battleship. That second shot of the Sopwith 'Strutter' affixed to the launching ramp which is in turn mounted to the top of the number #2 {?} turret with the three main guns being used as the main support for the launching ramp...well, I must say.......a most excellent idea for a small WWI scratchbuild vignette if I ever saw one!
Now all I need to find is a 1/48th scale WWI-era Oklahoma!......or, failing that, maybe just the turret plans in that scale. ;-)

Thx again for posting Stephen, your postings are always a VERY welcome bit of education for me personally.

Tread.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 07:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy Stephen

Mighty nice build as usual there Sir! But, am I understanding you correctly? You built this in 3-days?

Next, to your very nice photos of the Nieuport being loaded aboard the WWI-era battleship. That second shot of the Sopwith 'Strutter' affixed to the launching ramp which is in turn mounted to the top of the number #2 {?} turret with the three main guns being used as the main support for the launching ramp...well, I must say.......a most excellent idea for a small WWI scratchbuild vignette if I ever saw one!
Now all I need to find is a 1/48th scale WWI-era Oklahoma!......or, failing that, maybe just the turret plans in that scale. ;-)

Thx again for posting Stephen, your postings are always a VERY welcome bit of education for me personally.

Tread.

Hey Tread! Sorry to dis-illusion you ... the first posting was was Feb. 10 2004... it was three years ago. I actually did the build in about six weeks back then. Since I have a similar build over in the photoetch thread I thought to bring this one back with a basic build and the new found photo.

I do know where you can find some information on the Texas...

Thanks for the kind words !
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2007 - 04:05 AM UTC

"......Hey Tread! Sorry to dis-illusion you ... the first posting was was Feb. 10 2004... it was three years ago........"

Ya know, Jim really needs to add some more smiley choices to this site........I was thinking of something along the lines of a smiley bumping his forehead rather forcefully with the heel of his hand.....can't believe I missed the date stamp like that

Here's a suggestion Stephen {and I'm hope I not making some kind of 'faux pas' here}. Remember when you posted that rather long running Thread over on the 'Drome showcasing all of your most excellent builds??..........I know from experience that you are a humble gentleman, but if I have to be the guilty one that prods you into repeating that Thread here, then set the stage, turn on the 3rd degree lights, and hand me my numberd sign!
I can't TELL you how much I enjoyed rummaging thru your posted photos of your completed builds there pard'......seriously.
And I don't doubt for a N.Y. second that the rest of the clan here at Aeroscale would enjoy them just as much..........

Consider it.

regards,

Tread.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2007 - 09:01 PM UTC
Keep your eye on the portfolio page folks.

Now for some additional fun on the subject, here is my text on the build posted above. Also some additional input is provided in the second link.

Nieuport 28 C.1 text

more input
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 07:27 PM UTC
Moved from an offtopic thread.

I saw this thread and thought I would post a few pics of my buddy Chris' build. He pretty much builds just WWI stuff. I keep them in my display case for him as he has no place to keep them. This is just one of many. I'm not real up on the era, but I think this is a Nieuport. You experts can correct me if I'm wrong. Just thought I would share his work with folks who like this stuff. I do, but don't know much about it. Anyway, here ya go. "Q"

Unfortunately those images are no longer available (9/22/07)STL
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 04:52 AM UTC

"..... I'm not real up on the era, but I think this is a Nieuport. You experts can correct me if I'm wrong. Just thought I would sahre his work with folks who like this stuff. I do, but don't know much about it. Anyway, here ya go. "Q" ...."

....what's all this about Stephen?....speaking for myself, when it comes to WWI related AC info you are my 'Guru' dear Sir

Tread.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 06:17 AM UTC
Hey Tread,
Thanks for the kind words. My previous post and images were in a Camel thread and I hate to waste anything. The original poster was Matthew and he did it for a friend. Just thought I would transplant it, guess I am a neat freak.
 _GOTOTOP