Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 05:29 AM UTC
Hallo Gruppen,

Airfix released a 1/48 Bf 109 Friedrich and I built it in the winter of 1984 as "Rot 1" of r.b.EgKdo 100. It is painted 74/75/76/02 with the late-great Pactra International paints and Floquil Military colors, with kit decals (the yellowed ones) for the national markings and a mix of Fujimi and custom made decals for personal and unit insignias.

It doesn't look as good as I remember it looking when I packed it 8 years ago, yet except for the joystick and Revi gun sight, it is complete. (It traveled over 3,600 miles packed in Styrofoam peanuts.) I plan to treat it with skills and finishes I lacked 32 years ago.

Enjoy.

Lousy photo of the panel and cockpit sides:

(That pilot seat looks thick enough to stop a 90mm!)
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 05:48 AM UTC
Frederick - Thanks for sharing this - must be fun to look back on it and reserection of older works might be an interesting theme for a campaign. Alas I have none of my completed older kits. Cheers- Richard
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 05:55 AM UTC
Frederick,
Except for some small details, it looks quite nice. Who was the pilot?

Gaz
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 10:43 PM UTC
Hi Gaz,

The cowl-fuselage did not fit well and left that step near the windscreen. Back then I didn't try to fill in the gap between the cockpit bulkhead and fuselage. I also noticed, now that the photo magnifies it, the hideous glue/plastic "squish" along the supercharger intake seam. It also appears I didn't get the sprue connector marks cleaned up well between the windscreen and cowl. And the nose guns will be opened. If I find a set and want to get really ambitious, I might even cut them out and put aftermarket troughs and guns into it. The harnesses were almost state of the art for me back then although today I can buy/fashion buckles.

I don't recall using sanding paper to smooth out seams back then, so the fuselage seams & wings/stabilizers-to-fuselage lack of gaps are the glory of Airfix's mold making. I did fill them back then, but I don't recall using putty.

The pilot of this model? (Then) Hauptmann Kristoff Mier. Don't bother looking him up, I have the only archives concerning him and r.b.EgKdo 100. Both are fictional, inspired by marathon games of Avalon Hill's board game Air Force and other multi-player simulations. (Good times.)
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
AeroScale: 318 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2016 - 12:24 AM UTC
That's one good looking bird, Frederick! The Fritz is, in my opinion, the most attractive of the 109 series. Thanks for sharing your build!

JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2016 - 02:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...Fritz is, in my opinion, the most attractive of the 109 series

Thank you, Tim. I concur.

Next, I'll reassemble my 109 "Karl" and show it off.
chrism
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 160 posts
AeroScale: 156 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2016 - 02:39 AM UTC
If I recall, this was the Otaki/Arii re-boxed kit. I had this one back in the early eighties.
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2016 - 04:05 AM UTC
Hi Chris,

Do you mean the Karl, or this 109F. Airfix's 109F is a proprietary model. Otaki's was their own, too, a 109 Gustav. It went to Arii. Otakis has good, yet deep, recessed panel lines. While Airfix included a good cockpit, Otaki's is shallow with mainly molded details.

My 109K is the Revell kit of the early 1980s. (I've read it was the Monogram 109 G-10.) I also recall that every Otaki I built had a crew, which Airfix's does not.

I have not built the Otaki Bf 109 but I have seen them, and until the latest-greatest TamiyFujigagwa offerings, it was a contender as a good model of the 109.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 12:43 AM UTC
Nice one Fred

This kit holds many happy memories for me.

Quoted Text

If I recall, this was the Otaki/Arii re-boxed kit. I had this one back in the early eighties.

Hi Chris

I don't think so - as far as I know, it was an Airfix original. In its day it was rated as the most accurate Friedrich around and was a great build. Sadly, the last example I've bought was showing serious signs of mould wear with masses of flash and the fit had suffered - maybe due to the upheaval when Airfix hit the buffers prior to Hornby coming to rescue.

All the best

Rowan
chrism
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 160 posts
AeroScale: 156 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 02:23 AM UTC
I was most likely wrong about the Otaki re-box, I thought I read some where that Airfix did re-box some of their kits, but that could have been wrong as well.
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 04:21 PM UTC
Chris, Wow, I just found this thread! Doug is building all the round-nose 109s - this is fascinating!

BF 109's, a comparison

Apparently, my "Karl" is a 109 G-10!
simon64
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 29 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2016 - 02:59 PM UTC
Frederick glad your kit servived - in my move I lost every thing I had, stash tools, the lot
 _GOTOTOP