_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II: Great Britain
Aircraft of Great Britain in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Differences Hurricane Mk. IIb and Mk. IIc?
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 - 12:20 AM UTC
Hi folks!

I need the help of the Hurricane experts between the Aeroscalers. I have here the 1/48 Revell (ex Hasegawa) kit of the Hurricane Mk. IIc and would like to build a Soviet Air Force Mk. IIb out of it, for which I have some nice decals. So I wonder what are the main (visible) differences between those versions (if any), beside the 20 mm cannons of course. Can I use the Revell kit (it has some parts on the sprues which are not needed) to build the desired version? Any advice will be appreciated.

Torsten
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 - 12:44 AM UTC
Big difference, if not only, is the armament. The IIb had 12 .303 machine guns (4 in each original wing placement and 2 more outboard in each wing) while the IIc had the 4 20mm cannon. You'll want some drawings of the wings to see where the outboard machine guns doors were, I believe the inboard guns were in the same place as the Mk.I. Also, the Russian IIb probably didn't have the large tropical filter under the nose. The kit might actually have the 4 gun insert for the wings (IIRC) but there's rescribing ahead for the doors.

HTH!

Michael
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 - 02:31 AM UTC
AFAIK, the main difference is the armament.

Looking at instruction scans of one of Hasegawa's Hurricane reboxings instructions, it looks like the mk.II kit(s) include parts for both the mk.IIb and mk.IIc, so if the Revell kit contains the same parts, I presume you could build a mk.IIb out it as well.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 - 12:14 PM UTC
Thanks for your feedback, guys!

Meanwhile I learned a bit more. It was not only the weapons that were different, also the weapons between RAF and VVS Hurris were different. Yesterday evening I checked Osprey's Lend-Lease Aces book and found out, that soviet Mk. IIb had only 1 x 20 mm cannon and 1 x 12,7 mm MG per wing, plus underwing rockets on rails and bombs. So really armed to the teeth. Found photos about that. When I'm back home (right now I'm at work) I'll check the Revell contruction plan, Eetu. Maybe I can scan the photo that I found.

And at least I'm not in hurry with the Hurri. It's a plan I want to build maybe next year ....

Torsten
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 - 06:02 PM UTC
IIRC, the armament modification wasn't 'automatically' done on all lend-lease hurricanes right away, but rather later on to improve performance and lessen the reliance on lend-lease supplies of ammunition and spare parts. So I think references will come handy in determining the armament of the particular Hurricane you plan to build.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 - 09:11 PM UTC
I also guess so, Eetu.

I've checked the Revell/Hasegawa kit for the IIc. There are not the needed sprues R and Q included. So I guess I have to wait until the correct kit crosses my way. But if I look on these photos they speak a different language (probably russian ... ). Both are taken from that Osprey book. The tubes could easily be done with Evergreen profiles and the rocket rails will surely be sponsored by the Trumpeter MiG 3.

But as I said, I'm not in a hurry with that kit. Would have just been nice to see a VVS Hurricane side by side to my FiAF Hurricane. Still have some other Hurricane kits.

Torsten
KosachevSergey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Russia
KitMaker: 91 posts
AeroScale: 90 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 02:20 AM UTC
The scheme of the Soviet weapons on the Hurricane IIb

Sergey.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 12:24 AM UTC
Thanks a lot, Sergey! That's exactly the information I need!
These wings are included in the Revell kit I have. And I can modify the part of the leading edge easily. Just have to drill 2 holes in it and use round Evergreen profiles that fit in there. So I have another project for 2017 ....

Torsten
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 - 01:15 AM UTC
Hi Torsten

Something to watch out for in period photos is the outer spent shell ejection ports still in place, even when the guns have been removed and their positions faired or taped over.

http://cdn.historynet.com/wp-content/uploads/image/2008/worldwar2/julyissue/580x265xww2-july2008-lendlease.jpg.pagespeed.ic.4sTOtQOOIG.jpg

http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/AP/AP08-3/31-2.jpg

All the best

Rowan
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2016 - 12:12 AM UTC
Thanks for the hint, Rowan. Would not have noticed it. The ports are not visible on the kits lower wing part but I guess it's easy to modify.

Torsten
 _GOTOTOP