_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Vac Canopies Question
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 06:58 PM UTC
Anyone care to weigh in on Squadron vs Falcon vac canopies? I've never seen or used either and I'm thinking of trying them out - specifically for the Ki 43
Thanks in advance for all opinions- Richard
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 07:04 PM UTC
They're the same. Falcon does the Squadron canopies under contract, so you're getting the same quality and attention to detail.

The only difference is that the Squadron canopies are done two to a pack (or one in the case of larger 1/48 subjects) while Falcon produces sets of semi-related subjects.
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 07:36 PM UTC
Jesse - Thanks for the quick reply - if I may pick your brain a little further - Any opinion on Rob -Taurus canopies and how they compare to Squadron/Falcon ? Again for 1/48 Early Oscar - Richard
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 09:56 PM UTC
I can't tell you that; I've never used Rob Taurus canopies.
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 11:20 PM UTC
Thanks just the same Jesse - Richard
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 03:32 AM UTC
Richard,
The few times (exactly twice) I've used a vac canopy, I bought it from the Squadron. Detail was almost as good as the injected molded ones, but the thinness really makes a huge difference when you open up a section of a canopy. For me. learning how to cut it out was an experience, and I honestly had to buy another one the 1st time.

Joel
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 03:47 AM UTC
Joel -

Thanks for the input . I think I will order the Squadron canopies as there are two in the pack . The first one may be " tuition " -

Cheers - Richard
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Any opinion on Rob -Taurus canopies and how they compare to Squadron/Falcon ? Again for 1/48 Early Oscar - Richard

I don't have experience with that particular Rob-Taurus vac canopy, but I did use one theirs (well, part of it) on a P-40M I built a few years ago. Really good stuff, IMO! Very clear plastic, with nice and sharp canopy framing.
Although I haven't actually used Squadron/Falcon canopies yet - I have a those for several of kits in my stash, but based handling those, they appear very similar in clarity and moulding sharpness, but seem to use thinner plastic, so I'd suspect them to be a bit trickier to trim and attach than those by Rob-Taurus.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 06:25 AM UTC
Richard,
One quick tip. Before you cut or sand the canopy, pack it solid with Blu-Tac. It will make it so much sturdier with all the handling it's going to get.

Joel
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 07:05 AM UTC
I guess it's about time to link to the How To.
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 08:47 AM UTC
Many thanks to all for the help - all that's left for me now is to buy'em and try'em-

Richard
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 - 11:40 PM UTC
Jess,
I completely forgot about your "how to do" article. It's a great method.

Joel
moogieman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 - 01:13 AM UTC
I have several of the Rob Taurus canopies- all in 1/72, so can't comment on the 1/48 versions, but they are excellent! Framework very nicely defined, crystal clear, and the thickness is a little greater than the usual vacform canopies, so they are easier to attach and fair in. Most are molded so the windscreens and moveable hoods can be cut apart for the open canopy option. The Mossie canopies with the blisters are especially nice! Engineered to fit specific kitmakers' models, so can't comment on how well they would fit a different kit. Hope this helps.

Mike
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 07:06 PM UTC
Hi and thanks to all - I've just received my Squadron vac canopies and I am surprised and delighted with the sharpness of the frame detail . Now let's see if I can hold up my end of the deal by getting them to fit !

Happy Holidays to all - Richard
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 09:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi and thanks to all - I've just received my Squadron vac canopies and I am surprised and delighted with the sharpness of the frame detail . Now let's see if I can hold up my end of the deal by getting them to fit !

Happy Holidays to all - Richard

Richard,
With your skill level, I wouldn't worry about it. Looking forward to your pictures of the finished canopies.

Joel
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 03:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jesse - Thanks for the quick reply - if I may pick your brain a little further - Any opinion on Rob -Taurus canopies and how they compare to Squadron/Falcon ? Again for 1/48 Early Oscar - Richard

Hi to all - updating this post by answering my own question for the benefit of all who may have been asking the same -
Today I received a set of Rob Taurus vac canopies and the are very nice indeed - these are made specifically for the Hasegawa Ki 43 - I whereas the Squadron/Falcon units are made for the Nichimo Ki - 43 - I .

I have not trimmed either set yet and the Nichimo set may very well fit the Hasegawa kit but the downside of this set is it has a raised area in the windscreen to be cut out for the telescopic sight. This cutout is a notch open all the way to the bottom of the windscreen so it can be dropped down over the sight.
The real aircraft has a hole that the sight inserts through and the Rob Taurus Canopies have location marked out for this hole and are thus more accurate.

Cheers and thanks to all who responded- Richard
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 05:17 AM UTC
Richard , good to know about the hole for the gun sight . I just pick up Hasegawa's Ki-61 I Hein and the Rob Taurus , vac canopy , It is very impressive actual . I only used Squadron vac's in past and find they can be a hit and miss at times .

Terri
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Richard , good to know about the hole for the gun sight . I just pick up Hasegawa's Ki-61 I Hein and the Rob Taurus , vac canopy , It is very impressive actual . I only used Squadron vac's in past and find they can be a hit and miss at times .

Terri

Terri - you may want to check out Tamiya's new Hein - should be in town any day now - Richard
 _GOTOTOP