_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Get your Wingnut Wings kits from Sprue Bros
Robbd01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
AeroScale: 213 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 07:01 PM UTC
http://spruebrothers.com/

clip from their Latest News page

LATEST NEWS
Welcome Wingnut Wings (January 12, 2017)

Wingnut Wings Ltd, a New Zealand based plastic model manufacturer, has reached an agreement with Sprue Brothers Models LLC/Douglas Model Distributors appointing us as their US products distributor/dealer.

Previously, retail customers could order only direct from Wingnut Wings in New Zealand. With this agreement, US customers will receive faster service at competitive prices. Wingnut Wings is the premier large scale scale World War I aircraft plastic model kit manufacturer.

Product availability (including the new Sopwith Camel kits) will be announced as it becomes available in the coming week(s).

Cheers

Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2017 - 09:02 PM UTC
This is a little unsettling, considering I ordered the new sopwith Camel when it came up as a pre-order on the WnW site and was directed to the Weta site-- and they've already charged my card for an $11 "holding fee" for the kit, then taken it off the website. Wish I'd known this earlier regarding Sprue Bros. Does this mean the Weta site won't be handling for the U.S. anymore?
VR, Russ
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is a little unsettling, considering I ordered the new sopwith Camel when it came up as a pre-order on the WnW site and was directed to the Weta site-- and they've already charged my card for an $11 "holding fee" for the kit, then taken it off the website. Wish I'd known this earlier regarding Sprue Bros. Does this mean the Weta site won't be handling for the U.S. anymore?
VR, Russ

Ha - I wonder where they will be available first - Weta Workshop or Sprue Bros ?

I certainly have no problem with buying from Sprue Bros as I think they have the best service in the industry.

I should think that if Sprue Bros deal says they are the U.S. Distributor then it would seem that you would have to buy from them in the U.S.

Very interesting that this deal is announced in the midst of " computer sales problems " . Hmm - Richard
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 - 07:16 AM UTC
Cue the Benny Hill music....
iakarch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 459 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 - 08:01 AM UTC
It's great news we have a distributor in the US now.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 - 11:00 AM UTC
If you look at the WnW website, and scroll down to the FAQs, or contact, you'll see they are inviting other dealers to contact them to distribute as well-- I don't think it's just Sprue Bros as the "sole" US distributor. But I am concerned that Weta and WnW honors its commitments to customers who've been loyal, and to those who have been pre-charged for a kit they haven't received. Let's hope this all works out.
VR, Russ
sadmuppet
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 58 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 - 05:52 PM UTC
Hannnants seem to have done a deal for the UK and are taking pre orders for the Camel.
But for US customers will deffinatly be a cheaper option from Sprue Brothers

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 - 08:53 PM UTC
I certainly wasn't expecting this. It just might be the final little push I need to try my hand at a few wooden wonders.
Joel
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 - 09:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I certainly wasn't expecting this. It just might be the final little push I need to try my hand at a few wooden wonders.
Joel

My thoughts exactly.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Joel

My thoughts exactly.

Matt,
glad you're going to be joining me on this new adventure. My brother is already checking Sprue Brothers daily too.

I'm hoping that with WNW expanding it's retail reach this way, that they might be persuaded to reissue their previous sold out kits. I can already see this as totally blowing my modeling budget, and plans for the coming year. And with full retirement in 10 months, the current unlimited budget will have major limitations from the head of Finance (my wife for those who are single )

Joel
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 - 10:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Joel

My thoughts exactly.

Matt,
glad you're going to be joining me on this new adventure. My brother is already checking Sprue Brothers daily too.

I'm hoping that with WNW expanding it's retail reach this way, that they might be persuaded to reissue their previous sold out kits. I can already see this as totally blowing my modeling budget, and plans for the coming year. And with full retirement in 10 months, the current unlimited budget will have major limitations from the head of Finance (my wife for those who are single )

Joel

Joel -

Wingnut Wings has great marketing strategy- Get'em while you can for fear of sell out . I too hope for reissue ( D VII mostly) I wonder, though, If they will . I bet they would sell out another run of D VII's in short order seeing as the asking price on e bay is nearly double original retail . It will also be interesting to see if Sprue Bros discounts these kits. I've got my finger on the trigger for the Clerget Camel as soon as it becomes available- who knows how long it will sit in the stash next to the Albatros D V. You have a double edge sword to contend with given the inevitable belt tightening that comes with retirement so " Get'em while you can " applies double for you !
Cheers -Richard
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2017 - 01:49 AM UTC

[/quote]
"...I'm hoping that with WNW expanding it's retail reach this way, that they might be persuaded to reissue their previous sold out kits. I can already see this as totally blowing my modeling budget, and plans for the coming year. And with full retirement in 10 months, the current unlimited budget will have major limitations from the head of Finance (my wife for those who are single )..."

"...Wingnut Wings has great marketing strategy- Get'em while you can for fear of sell out . I too hope for reissue ( D VII mostly) I wonder, though, If they will...so " Get'em while you can " applies double for you !"...
[/quote]

I wouldn't bet on "reissues" anytime soon, maybe as the "Duellist" packages but we haven't seen individual kits reissued since they started back in 2007 (by the way, the Duellist line is a good way to save a little). I've been keeping an informal list of their kit number issues so far and there have been blanks on the list but it's filling out fast. That doesn't mean they can't start a new set of kit numbers, but I bet they won't "reissue" until the line is completed, who knows when that will be with only one or two kits coming out a year? I can't help but think this distributorship "expansion" off the shores of NZ is a good thing, implying a wider market-- my LHS is even thinking about carrying the kits now too. However, one needs to think cautiously about retirement, income, lifespan and continued ability to model when it comes to this line of kits-- if you are interested in any of them in particular, and you are of retirement age (I retired in 2006), I recommend getting them now while you are still able. I've seen too many kit manufacturers cash in unexpectedly, or sell out in my 50+ years of modeling. These are unusual in that they are gems from the get go, and will only get more expensive and rarer as time goes on. I hope Sir Peter Jackson's business model is a good one here, but if you are "waiting" for something to happen with WnW "before you take the plunge" you might be disappointed. I have 16 of their kits in my stash, and will likely add two or three more before I'm done--so I can say if you haven't "jumped in" now, after 7 years-- you should do it before it's too late. Regardless of what happens to WnW, these kits are certainly an investment as we've already seen with other WnW OOP kits. Unlike other models that decrease in value as they age, these are bound to at least stay the same value as the years go by (at least that's what I've told my "Minister of Finance"). I also save my family a lot of heartache and money over Birthdays and Holidays when someone asks what I want--I just print out the WnW catalog with my choices circled and hand it to them. That way I get what I want (unless of course you were awaiting a Camel for Xmas )and they don't have to hassle finding a gift for an old man!
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP