_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Old Model Aircraft Engines
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 06:49 AM UTC
Hi Ho Group,

Back in December I started a post like this titled Old Model Aircraft Parts, Random.

Well, I decided to take a break from "business" posts and present this selection of many engines salvaged from my models gone by. Even before I started painting my models (c. 2010, or was it 1970?) yet before I decided to cease blowing them up, for some reason I decided to start harvesting parts off of them for future use. I guess that even back then I had plans to put engines into models that didn't have them, or make dioramas, or whatnot.

So, just as last December, searching for some items for a current build, I stumbled across these random powerplants that took me into the supply hanger of Nostalgia Airfield. These days I enjoy occasionally taking a walk down memory lane. Just makes me happy.

Can you identify any of these? I'll answer in a week or two.

(Some of that excess glue - how embarrassing.)

More to come!
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 07:32 AM UTC
Ah, c'mon. Nobody wants to ID any of these?

Okay, I'll start out:

3. BMW 801, 1/32 Hasegawa Fw 190

C. & 6. Oberursel, Revell 1/28 Fokker Dr.I
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2017 - 10:45 AM UTC
I'll take a stab at D, E & F:
D looked like it came from Monograms Piper Tri-Pacer, E looks like it came from one of the early Aurora 1/48 scale WWI Albatross or Hannover kits, and F looks like another Aurora Mercedes -- maybe a Gotha or perhaps another kit like a Fokker DVII? I can't see enough detail on the rest, but I think there is a 1/32 scale Revell ME109 Daimler engine in the first photo too.
VR, Russ
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 04:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Monograms Piper Tri-Pacer
Aurora 1/48 scale WWI Albatross or Hannover
Aurora Mercedes -- Fokker DVII
...1/32 scale Revell ME109 Daimler engine in the first photo too.

Hi Russ,

Yup, yup, yup and the other is from the 1/32 Monogram Phantom Mustang.

I think I can guess your age by you knowing those.
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 - 04:39 PM UTC
The A-P engines, a hint. Lots of Japanese in there. Anyone build Nichimo and Otaki/Arii?
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 - 12:10 AM UTC
Fred--
Yep, I'm of an age old enough for Social Security yet young enough to still cause a little trouble. Started building models in 1959-- my Brother-in-law and father were the prime instigators. My Brother-in-law was a young surgeon when he married my sister in 1956, and he had a unique way of practicing suturing-- he bought up all the Revell sailing ship models and Aurora WWI fighters he could find and rigged them with silk suturing thread! So for Xmas and birthdays, I got models. My dad was an Aviation Machinist Mate on the USS Essex in WWII, and worked after the war as a Machinist, so he had an interest in all the old motorized Strombecker, ITC and Renwal kits. I grew up in an age when kit costs started at .29 cents, and built a slew of Revell, Aurora and Monogram kits, purchased from my well stocked A & H drugstore. So I've seen a lot of the domestic kits, and a few of the early Japanese kits. Unfortunately, Otaki and Nichimo kits weren't in great abundance when I was growing up--so I didn't recognize those engines. I do have a 1:200 scale Nichimo I-19 submarine in my collection of antiques though. Your ID quizzes are a lot of fun for me. I suspect you too are one of the "old guys" -- you know what they say--"youth and energy are no match for age and cunning".
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP