Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/48 type 21 Zero
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 02:41 AM UTC
30 years ago i built the venerable Tamiya kit. Was lloking to replace/redo. So i see tamiya at around $15 then a Fujimi for a bit more and a Hasegawa for a bit more than that.

None of the prices seem prohibitive, so which is best kit to get? I like Pearl Harbor markings. realize photoetch setsout there as well. So would the addition of one of those really upgrade one kit or would one say be pretty doggone good even without a photoetch set.
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 07:08 AM UTC
Steve - The Hasegawa type 21 is very nice as are all their Zero kits. The original issue is very low cost , fun - I keep a few for experimenting - but a little undersized ( 1/50 ?) Tamiya has an excellent new mold 1/48 kit issued a few years ago but I don't know if they offer a 21 in this new mold kit. You really can't go wrong with the Hasegawa - very nice straight out of the box and sky's the limit as far as the aftermarket stuff . I just purchased Eduards IJN steel lap belts , SBS resin cockpit and Wolfpack folding wing tips for mine - all to go with a Pearl Harbor Kaga decal set I have had for some time - Hope this helps and whichever you choose I hope you'll post pictures. Cheers - Richard
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 10:34 PM UTC
Steve, I agree with Richard that the hasegawa is the best current option for a type 21. These are usually pretty inexpensive and plentiful on the 2nd hand market. Many of these come with a whole array of numbers and basic tail code decals enabling you to model most of the peral harbor raiders. Their red decals are often a bit too dark though, just a heads up.

Tamiyas Type 21 which I assume is what you previously built still isnt bad, especially for the price but the hasegawa is definitely worth the couple extra dollars. The newer tamiya zeros are the type 22/22a and type 52/52a. The older tamiya series covered the type 21, type 32 and type 52c. Im not familiar with the fujimi kit so cant comment on it, im not sure how bad it could be though. Most japanese kit makers seem to put out decent Zero's

I bought a stack of hasegawa zeros of various marks at a farmers market a few years ago so im pretty well set for zeros but Id like one of the newer tamiya type 52. I also dream of one day obtaining The hasegawa Zero box set but that will be sometime before I have that sort of modelling funds around
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 11:07 PM UTC
Steve,

Just last night I was looking at my Fujimi kit. Very nice model. Cockpit has several separate parts for consoles, etc. I will shoot it and put it up as a review if you'd like, if you will give me a day or two.

I built Fujimi's 1/48 Zero, Val, Messerschmitt, FW 190, A-4 Skyhawk, F-4E, A-6 and Bf 110. I don't recall how good the jets were but the WW2 planes were superior for when they were released.
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 11:37 PM UTC
A teaser.

Fujimi put some fascinating info in the text. They state that at 230 mph that the Zero could turn 180° in 5.6 seconds, loosing 40 mph, within 1,181 feet.
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2017 - 11:56 PM UTC
yes nimble was a term frequently used to describe the Zero

All info given is greatly appreciated. I'm in no hurry. Building up my retirement stash. Anticipating a future move so more built kits i can get replacements for means the less I have to try to move and damage

Lol it is the 350 scale ships I am terrified of moving they are expensive.
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 12:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve - The Hasegawa type 21 is very nice as are all their Zero kits. The original issue is very low cost , fun - I keep a few for experimenting - but a little undersized ( 1/50 ?) Tamiya has an excellent new mold 1/48 kit issued a few years ago but I don't know if they offer a 21 in this new mold kit. You really can't go wrong with the Hasegawa - very nice straight out of the box and sky's the limit as far as the aftermarket stuff . I just purchased Eduards IJN steel lap belts , SBS resin cockpit and Wolfpack folding wing tips for mine - all to go with a Pearl Harbor Kaga decal set I have had for some time - Hope this helps and whichever you choose I hope you'll post pictures. Cheers - Richard

Edit : should read: Tamiya's original issue etc. Richard
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 10:23 AM UTC
Hi Steve,

You inspired me to write her up!

http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/review/12992