Trumpeter 1/24: Fw 190 D-9 "Yellow 11"
BigZimmo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 132 posts
AeroScale: 117 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 02:42 PM UTC
Hi folks!!

Here comes another "Dora" from my assembly line. It's Trumpeter's Fw 190 D-9 in 1/24 scale. A kit with a really good fit, but it has some goofs inside. The tail wheel looks a little bit like a Donut and there are no rivets at the root of the turbocharger's air intake. In the cockpit a bit more detailing would have been nice but with a closed canopy it's okay.

My model should be the "Yellow 11" of II./JG 2. Only I was startled by Trumpeter's painting instructions for this aircraft. The Chinese stated to paint the D-9 in RLM 76 for bottom and fuselage sides and RLM 82 and 83 for the top. The "Yellow 11" was a rather late builded aircraft, so I found this standard paint for not quite correct. So, get to the computer and into the research. This promoted many different data to day and also with other hobbyists who have already built this Dora was not a model exactly like the other. In addition, I got the "Broken Eagles" picture book for the Fw 190 D-9. There you can see the three probably only existing pictures of the "Yellow 11". Unfortunately, as the title of the illustrated book already suggests, in the state "Broken Eagle". But still you could determine something on the basis of the three scrap images. Of course, there is a lot of room for speculation and I do not claim that my Dora is 100% like the original here.

Dear modelling mates !!!
I wish you and your families a "guten Rutsch" (as we say in Germany) tonight and a happy new year. For 2018 all the best, luck, health and continue to enjoy modelling.
I'm looking forward to all the new cool aircrafts, tanks, figures etc. from your workbenches.
Let's rock it!!!!!!

All the best from Germany
Stefan "Big Zimmo"

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 - 04:10 PM UTC
Hi Stefan

Lovely job! What your photos can't get across is how big this beauty must be in 1:24! I bet it's really impressive.

Here's to more great builds in the year ahead!

All the best

Rowan
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2017 - 02:44 PM UTC
Hallo Stefan, Grüße aus Bayern und sehr schöne Dora! The paint job and weathering looks fantastic. Did you airbrush the exhaust stains?

Ernest
BigZimmo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 132 posts
AeroScale: 117 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 02:48 PM UTC
Hi mates!!!

Thanks, I'm pleased tha you like my new "Big Dora"!!

Ernest......yes, I created the exhaust smoke trails with the airbrush.

Cheers
Stefan
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2018 - 11:04 PM UTC
Stefan,
Wow!! a 1/24 scale Dora. She must be huge next to even a 1/32 Dora. Your camo paint scheme looks excellent. Just a rock solid build.

And happy New Year. So far the year is setting one record after another for bitter cold here in the North East.

Joel
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 03, 2018 - 01:03 PM UTC
Hyyvää Utta Vuotta from Helsinki, Stefan! I am still on holidays in Finland but have to return on Saturday.

You did really well with your new Dora. But what Rowan already said, we cannot imagine the size of it. Besides knowing how big an IKEA turntables is .... Just place one of your 1/48 Doras beside and we all can compare it.

Torsten

Joel, I wished you could send some snow and cooler temperatures over here. In Helsinki we have no snow, but low plus temperatures and some rain also. But I am sure when I have left winter breaks out also here.
 _GOTOTOP