_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Please recommend me my first WNW kit.
Kolvir
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 07:05 AM UTC
Normally these revolutionary contraptions aren't my style, I mean if you can't mount at least 74 guns over two decks, what's the point, but I have heard so many good things about WNW and have been curious to try one. This internal explosive powered vertical sailing probably wont catch on but it might be fun to try. Just don't let the Admiralty Board know.

I've never built a biplane before, but consider myself an intermediate modeler. Would the kind people here recommend me a kit? Also, where is the best place to order one, direct?
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 10:34 AM UTC
I'd order from Sprue Brothers here in the States-- shipping is faster than going through the Weta Workshop (WnWs Stateside distribution point) here in the USA. As to which kit's best, I'd recommend something with less rigging if you've never built a biplane before. the Fokker DVII, Roland CII come to mind- Or the Hansa- Brandenburg W12 seaplane, or Junkers J1 which have very little or no rigging. If you want to wait for the Junkers D1 which has just been announced, it doesn't have any rigging either. But I think you said you've done some sailing ships? It's about the same for some of the more complicated WnW kits as it is for a larger two masted shcooner. Maybe even easier for the biplane even.
VR, Russ
B_Ernie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 54 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 12:13 PM UTC
If you're on Facebook then you should ask your question in this group,
https://www.facebook.com/groups/115991888428471/
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 06:40 PM UTC
By the soud of it you,re used to rigging? In that case you shouldn’t have much trouble with a bi plane as such. In terms of build ability all WnW kits are as easy as they can be for a bi-plane. But, not to jump into the deepest end first time, choose a single seater you fancy to get the hang of it so to speak. If you ever built a Tamika kit you’ll find WnWs are as well engineered.

Best of luck!
Mikael
Familyman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 12:32 PM UTC
Which scale?

My suggestions:

1/48 Eduard:

Nieuport 17
Nieuport 11 or 16
Pfalz D.IIIa
Albatros D.II
Albatros D.III OEF
Hanriot HD1
Roland C.II

1/32 Wingnut Wings:

Sopwith Pup
Sopwith Camel
Roland C.II
Albatros D.V
Pfalz D.IIIa
SE5a

Yours Mikko

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2018 - 06:12 PM UTC
Just find one you like and do it.

Or you can find one you like and ask for commentary on that specific subject. Then do it. They are all great.
 _GOTOTOP