_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WNW Fokker D.VII early question
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 - 01:23 AM UTC
Hi,
Just a quick question regarding the current boxing of WNW early D.VII.
Does the kit include the parts from other boxings and can be built as other variants? Looking at the photos on the WNW site, it looks like optional engine cowlings and radiators are still present.

Thanks
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
Just a quick question regarding the current boxing of WNW early D.VII.
Does the kit include the parts from other boxings and can be built as other variants? Looking at the photos on the WNW site, it looks like optional engine cowlings and radiators are still present.

Thanks

Hi Stephen - It would appear that you can do many if not all of them - I apologize for my lack of in depth knowledge of this aircraft.
I opened up my kit and here are the sprues relevant to the cowl/radiator -

you get two sprues that contain one axle airfoil, several side panels and two two chins on each - these are different sprues , not identical.

and one containing at least three radiator variations.

I'm sure that there are others more knowledgable than I who can better answer your question.

Hope this has been of some help - if I can dig into the kit any further and take pics I am happy to oblige .

Cheers - Richard
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 - 05:17 AM UTC
Thanks Richard,
Looks like it has all the different cowl panels and radiators that they had. I'm no expert either (I really need to get a good reference book for the D.VII), but from what I understand they're what differentiate the versions and manufacturers. They had big problems with engine cooling and they tried all sorts of combinations to solve it.
Anyway, I missed out on the previous boxings of this kit and I'm seriously thinking of grabbing one. Knowing this will open up some more finishing options if I do. There are some really cool decal sheets out for this kit.

Thanks for the help
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 - 05:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Richard -
Anyway, I missed out on the previous boxings of this kit and I'm seriously thinking of grabbing one. Knowing this will open up some more finishing options if I do. There are some really cool decal sheets out for this kit.

Thanks for the help

I would act fast on the purchase if I were you - things are selling out fast - I don't think you will lose money on it @ $ 99. If you lose interest in it before you start it you will likely double your money on e bay if you sell before they reissue it again .
I bought one of WnW's aftermarket decal sets for mine - can't remember which.
( stash too big ? )
Have fun - Richard
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 - 06:27 AM UTC
That's what I'm thinking. It might not come back again. I know a couple of places I can buy it from here in the UK for a bit less than WNW themselves at the moment.
It does have some really nice looking markings in it, but I do like the look of Degelows black machine with the white stag. Assuming I can find decals.
Thanks for the help

OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 - 11:29 PM UTC
Hi Stephen,

The cowling panels you get in the early Fokker boxing currently available are all for Fokker built machines. Degelows black DVII was from the Albatros production line and differed from the Fokker built – the OAW variants differed further as did the BMW engined DVIIs. Add to that, all manufacturers updated the specs along the production, so you have early, mid and late production cowlings from all three producers. And there were several field modifications made – which means there are many, many cowling variations seen on Fokker DVIIs – more than I can count off hand.

Basicly, if you want to build Degelows machine, you can't do it with 100% accuracy out of the current Fokker box (though the difference may be slight – I haven't scrutinised the parts).

But, all is not lost – WNW are offereing the OOP sprues for the cowlings for a mere $10 which can be found under Accessories...

Hope this helps
/Mikael
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 - 12:36 AM UTC
Thanks Mikael,
At the moment it's just an idea. Looking around I can't seem to find decals for his aircraft, but I can get Rodens Alb built Fokker with them for less than £15. Probably easiest.
Looking at profiles and plans I do have, it's very confusing working out specific versions. Field mods and repairs only add to it. And I have read accounts of panels being removed entirely!
Anyway, I have gone and ordered the WNW Fokker so I'll keep in mind that I can buy the BMW engine and other sprues if I do decide to go for something different to whats in the box. They're all great options though so I'll probably change my mind once I get my hands on it.
Thanks
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 - 01:15 AM UTC
No problems Stephen – and you're right, there are some very tempting colour schemes to choose from.

One option to get Degelows stag, may be the Pheon decals range. They did his Pfalz DIIIa, which has the stag in the right scale. Not sure if it differs in design from the DVII version though...

Good luck with whatever you decide.
/Mikael
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2018 - 12:01 PM UTC
I might have to look for the Pheon Pfalz sheet. I have that one in the stash. Glad I did too seeing as it's sold out!
 _GOTOTOP