Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/72 Yak-1b from Arma Hobby
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
AeroScale: 598 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2019 - 11:24 PM UTC
Magnus, that's a really handy formula to know!

Thanks for sharing!
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 - 02:52 AM UTC
Magnus,
glad You changed to the mathematics homework . This will come in really quite handy. Hope, I remember it next time painting a spinner.

The weathering shows all those details of the lower surface. Looks really great.

Oliver
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2019 - 09:22 AM UTC
Friends! Thanks for your comments!

I've been busy with the oil paints last week, breaking up the monochrome paintjobs.

I'll continue with detail painting and final assembly this week.

Magnus
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 08:50 AM UTC
Come on Magnus! Let's see you finish these 2 before the year's out
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2019 - 08:05 AM UTC
Russell! Might even make it before Christmas !

Final assembly almost done! There will be some more weathering but I'll let the landing gear dry thoroughly before going ahead with that.

Edit! Mecenas!! Thanks a lot, link corrected, pic now showing in my post as well !

Magnus
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2019 - 05:38 AM UTC
Here's the missing picture.

magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, December 23, 2019 - 08:10 AM UTC
As I said earlier: before Christmas. And even with a bit of a margin !

A pair of finished Yaks in time for Christmas!

I have tried to differentiate a bit between them. As a final touch, the green one has been operating in wetter and muddier conditions than the grey one that has lived a much easier life on drier ground.

Finally, something I always dread and never have been that good at: weathering the wheels! No matter how I try I never get pigments to bite and using the airbrush has its shortcomings with a much too even coverage. This time, Weathering Magazine issue 25 "WHEELS, TRACKS & SURFACES" was of great help, helping me get some method into the process.

Dry and dusty...

...and more on the muddy side.

I'll continue experimenting with this, it was great fun!

With this, finished builds number eight and nine for 2019 have now been added to the collection!

As a final note regarding the kits: these are as close as they get to "perfect" regarding fit and deliver an astonishing amount of detail even if they really are fairly simple kits with a modest parts count. Highly recommended and really fun builds!

Magnus
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 24, 2019 - 01:42 AM UTC
That's a really nice double Yak build, Magnus! Both came out beautiful in the end but I would prefer the green/black one if I had to choose between them. Congrats on finishing them before the festive days! So you're 2 builds ahead of me this year.

Merry christmas to you and your family!

Torsten
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2019 - 09:38 AM UTC
Torsten! It's an honour beating you in the productivity race, thanks !

I think I agree with you on the choice of Yak, my inner vision when I started the project was for a grey one, the green one was made just for the reason it was a Normandie-Niemen-machine. But with the fish scales on the nose and the sharkmouth it quickly turned in to a favourite!

Magnus
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2019 - 10:45 PM UTC
2 Yaks for Christmas!

Congratulations on 2 more fine additions to the collection Magnus!

9 builds for you and 7 for Torsten! Wow!
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, December 27, 2019 - 09:38 AM UTC
Thanks a lot Russell! I hope you've had a good Christmas, I have certainly had one even if I still suffer from my wife's deal with Santa about "no plastic whatsoever on Christmas" !

Magnus
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 28, 2019 - 11:25 AM UTC
I've just read through from start to finish Magnus, what a lovely looking little kit! You have produced a really nice pair for the display shelves and in very quick time, that says a lot for the quality of the kit in terms of fit and finish. Very little to do in the way of parts clean up or rectification, I will definitely keep this range in mind if I ever venture into the 1/72 fighter world!

I am on the final stages of finishing kit number 8 for the year (although several were WIP already), all cars this time around. A very productive year for me. I think the difference was that I forced myself to have a firm plan every time I sat at the bench. In the past I have just sat down and then looked around for a while before starting, having a purpose before I even sit down makes a huge difference.

Cheers, D
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2019 - 05:20 AM UTC
Damian! Thanks ! And I can thoroughly recommend these if you ever get to visit the world of tiny-scale !

You and I have reached our record productivity the same way: WIPs are a good way to get a head start in a project and it is a special feeling saving something from the shelf of doom!

Regarding workbench psychology: congrats that you have found a method that works! Mine is podcasts (I start listening to something and that means that I stay at the bench until it is finished) and trying to do A LITTLE EVERY DAY so that I don't loose the touch. Sometimes it is as little as 15 minutes but that's enough for masking a canopy or weathering a set of wheels. I have also noted that productivity fuels productivity, with practice everything gets a bit easier and faster each time you do it.

Magnus
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, December 30, 2019 - 06:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks a lot Russell! I hope you've had a good Christmas, I have certainly had one even if I still suffer from my wife's deal with Santa about "no plastic whatsoever on Christmas" !

Magnus

That's the same deal my wife has with Santa

Even though, I still had a good Christmas too, and there was a great addition to the reference library under the tree
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 - 03:39 AM UTC
Magnus:

Great finish of Your two Yaks. They look outstanding! I really like the subtle dirt effects. Congratulation!

Oliver
 _GOTOTOP