_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Eduard P-51D Triple-Build
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2020 - 07:42 AM UTC
Hi again

Nothing to show yet (I've been merrily car-modelling for the last couple of days (Hiss... booo! ) - but I have, at least, decided which of the builds will be the putty-victim. I won't totally give the game away on the colour schemes, but one of them had a unit-applied re-paint - which seems a fair candidate for the factory-finish wings filler to have at least suffered some degradation.

I'll tackle the job tomorrow. I'm torn between my almost default mix of CA+talc and Valleyo's acrylic filler. The latter is great stuff - and my original bottle is still going strong after over 10 years!

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2020 - 07:38 AM UTC
Hi again

I've had a lazy couple of days in terms of modelling (I did some 1:1 scale beer bottling and recorded a new song, so I wasn't totally idle), but I'll get back to the workbench tomorrow.

What's waiting for me is this:

As you can see, I went for Vallejo filler. It made sense to go for the non-destructive option first. That way, if it doesn't turn out the way I want, I can always use CA + talc instead.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Friday, April 17, 2020 - 09:30 AM UTC
Rowan,
I've used the Vallejo acrylic filler for similar shallow jobs, but I've found out even then a 2nd application is necessary as the stuff really shrinks.

The P-51D does indeed really look good, especially with that outstanding cockpit.

Joel
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 - 07:16 AM UTC
Hi Joel

Thanks for you kind words on the cockpits. Eduard have done fantastic job on the standard (profiPACK) kit, so I'm really looking forward to tackling the Brassin version in due course.

I had reasonable luck with the filling:

I'm glad I went with the Vallejo filler, because it was a typical case of consulting a reference photo too late! I'd used what seemed to me to be logical guesswork in filling some panels and leaving others open - only to have it totally contradicted by a shot of Mustang on the production line.

So, I opened up some panel lines that I'd filled, and filled some that I'd assumed should be clear. Thank heavens I didn't go straight for the CA+Talc! I'm still not sure about the panels with the fasteners on the leading edges, so I may well open those up too.

Meanwhile... I've started tinkering with the undercarriage. It doesn't include brake-lines, so they're something I'll definitely look to adding. But, as a first really simple tweak, it's worth drilling out the solid tabs on the gear legs to represent the towing points:

More soon.

Take care everyone and keep safe

Rowan
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2020 - 08:52 AM UTC
Rowan,
Now that's one pretty good save on the panel lines for sure. As for the tow link, drilling it out sure makes a tremendous difference.

Joel
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 07:41 AM UTC
Great work. And here I was thinking that nothing can ever top the Tamiya Mustang....I stand corrected
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 07:33 AM UTC
Cheers guys

I've had a little bit of a lazy week or so on the Mustangs, but I will have some more progress to show soon.

@ Jacob - I like the Tamiya kit too (I'm guessing you mean the 1:48 one?) as a really decent build. While I acknowledge the oft-cited issues that some modellers obsess over, I've also got to admit that 95%+ of the people building it will be perfectly happy.

But Eduard's kit is in a different league in so many ways, and the crucial thing is that they've made it so affordable. I certainly won't throw all my old Mustang kits away (OK, I know... I have a real problem throwing anything away! ) - but I think Eduard's is likely to be the definitive 1:48 P-51D/K kit for the foreseeable future.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP