Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
More New Campaign Ideas
phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 502 posts
AeroScale: 110 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2020 - 09:58 AM UTC

Another idea:
Phoes of the Phantoms - a plane that tangled in aerial combat with an F4 Phantom. Given that I'm building a Phantom from Vietnam I've been exploring MiG kits too so this came to mind.

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2020 - 05:38 PM UTC
Phantom Phoes sounds like a good idea. We did something like that as part of the Century Series campaign a while back. Unfortunately I don't have any phoes in the stash.
I checked my ribbons the other day and saw that there was an MTO campaign back in 2018.

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2020 - 06:19 PM UTC
Well not too shabby, but not tremendously productive. I count 21 suggestions, and 9 got more than 1 like.
Trainers 4
Malta 3
Pearl Harbor 2
Recon 2
No Wheels 2
Gliders 2
Kit manufacturer 2 (Hasegawa)
Double Nuts 2
MTO 2

We might want to drop Trainers and MTO as we've done campaigns in the last few years. That still leaves 7 ideas. Anyone want to champion one of them and tell us why we should all build a kit of the topic?:-H
Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 01:29 AM UTC
Howdy Y'all
I'm not volunteering at this time as I'll have a healthcare accreditation survey to pass next year, in the midst of a world-wide pandemic.
I just wanted to point out there were also 3 early nods for "Russia". I believe I have a kit for almost all of the proposals and if Malta includes armor subjects then I'll also vote for that suggestion.
Take care,
Don "Lakota"
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy Y'all
I'm not volunteering at this time as I'll have a healthcare accreditation survey to pass next year, in the midst of a world-wide pandemic.
I just wanted to point out there were also 3 early nods for "Russia". I believe I have a kit for almost all of the proposals and if Malta includes armor subjects then I'll also vote for that suggestion.
Take care,
Don "Lakota"

You might be in luck.
A small armoured unit was based on Malta, operating a mix of equipment.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malta_Tanks_(Royal_Tank_Regiment)

Lots of soft skins and of course AA guns would have been present too.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2020 - 04:21 AM UTC
Well, I'm going to push my Double Nuts idea. The US Navy formed air groups assigned to each carrier in 1937 and each had an Air Group Commander who had his own aircraft assigned, frequently in special markings. During the war, the GC normally flew an aircraft assigned to a particular squadron, but still often had his own designation. As carrier air groups gave way to Air Wings in the 50's and 60's, often each squadron would have an aircraft assigned the number -00, or Double Nuts. These airplanes frequently have special paint schemes, with each squadrons colors painted on the CAG's airplane.

Lots of variety, lots of paint schemes, lots of opportunity for participation!

Michael
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2020 - 07:25 AM UTC
Well, this is doubly awkward, first I under-count one of the ideas. And then the top two vote getters on my thread are subjects I have absolutely nothing in the stash to contribute
phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2020 - 08:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have absolutely nothing in the stash to contribute

This sounds like one of those very serious problems that can be solved in about 30 seconds...
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2020 - 01:24 PM UTC
LOL. I decided years ago to avoid growing an insane stash by limiting my purchases to 1/72 US aircraft from 1937 to 1980. Basically first monoplanes to the F-16. I've held to that over the years (only expanding the time frame) and now I Think I have 1 Japanese, 1 German, 2 Russian and 3 British planes left in the stash. One of the two Russian planes is a partially assembled MiG-21 and an AN-2 Colt, so I guess I could use that for a Russian campaign, Of the 3 British kits, one's in line for BoB 80, the others are Hurricane Mk II and a Spitfire egg plane don't know if either is appropriate for Malta. Same with the Fw 190D.
Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 12:11 AM UTC
Mark,
That still sounds like a serious problem that could be solved by:
1. The 30-second solution as Phil mentioned.
2. Another vote for a "Russia" campaign.
3. Proposing a campaign that would include one of your existing kits.
Your completed campaign board is impressive, great work!
Take care and stay safe,
Don "Lakota"
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 03:21 AM UTC
Heh, I did, I thought. Scalemates sez I've got 381 aircraft kits from 75 molders.
Manufacturer: I'm ready for Vought, Consolidated, Curtis, Boeing, Lockheed, Douglas, Republic, North American and Grumman to name a few.
Molder: Hasegawa, Tamiya, Revell, Monogram, Frog, Matchbox, Hawk, Testors, MPC, Airfix, Frog, Novo, and KP to name a few
Pearl Harbor 80: Zero, P-36, P-40
Trainers: T-6, T-28, T-2, TT-1, T-37, T-38, PT-19, Tiger Moth
Aggressors: F-5F, F-21, maybe even an F-16
Recon: F-101C, RA-5C, F-6 Mustang, SR-71, RF-84F, RF-8G and that doesn't even get to the Scout, Observation and electronic snoopers.
No Wheels: Think I had 13, including PBY and PBM
Gliders: Waco CG-4A
Double Nuts: At least an SB2U
MTO: P-40F, B-24D
Malta: Zip, Nada, Zilch
Russia: An-2 Colt with no instructions and no decals.

So much to my chagrin, little of my preferences made it to the top of the list.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2020 - 06:12 PM UTC
Wow, did I kill my own thread?

What about the Mud Movers? Lots of candidates from the '30s to today. Plenty of engine variations, single, twin, jets. Lots of color options, not just basic gray (grey?).

Any takers?:-H
RhinoSpit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bas-Rhin, France
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 191 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2020 - 11:02 PM UTC
it was my idea so count me in

I've a lot of campaign idea.

For example, a nose art campaign can be splitted in 3 sub campaign:
- sharkmouth
- pinup
- cartoon

And what about the "air forces campaign"? We have, for a couple of month ago, finished a mighty eight.And the other air forces?

Manufacturer? And eduard, special hobby?

i'm also interested by a campaign on the soviets and japan.

Unfortunaly, i can't work on my models due to heat (last week was 40°C - 105°F), and a lack of free times.

Lakota
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2020 - 06:14 AM UTC
Mark: I don't think you killed your own thread. Someone just needs to take one of these great ideas and do a proposal to the community by starting a new thread such as:
CAMPAIGN PROPOSAL-________
Once there are 10 interested people it can be submitted to become an official campaign; or at least that's how I understand it to work.
Come on someone, be a campaign leader, there's a lot of good ideas floating out there.
Take care and stay safe,
Don "Lakota"
YankeeSteve
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
AeroScale: 51 posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2020 - 07:23 AM UTC
Votes for MTO & Malta!!

Would like to recommend 2nd Tactical Air Force from inception to 1945....

phil2015
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2020 - 10:34 AM UTC

OK, I started a separate thread on Malta as I'm interested enough in that I would run the campaign too. There are a couple of others in the list I'd join but am not interested enough to run.

Mark, I thought you said you had a Hurricane II kit in your stash. I'm pretty certain you could find a subject based on that for Malta. A quick web search turned up a couple of other builds of Hurricane IIs at Malta.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2020 - 12:14 PM UTC
I like the following concepts.

Trainers for all of the yellow aircraft.

Malta because I don't think it has been done.

Pearl Harbor for all of the different aircraft, ship, ground support stuff that could be entered.

MTO for those sand colored aircraft, armored vehicles, and dioramas of an out post kind of like a last stand.

Bob
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2020 - 12:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OK, I started a separate thread on Malta as I'm interested enough in that I would run the campaign too. There are a couple of others in the list I'd join but am not interested enough to run.

Mark, I thought you said you had a Hurricane II kit in your stash. I'm pretty certain you could find a subject based on that for Malta. A quick web search turned up a couple of other builds of Hurricane IIs at Malta.

A Hurricane II would make a great choice for a Malta campaign. I recently finished one in Malta markings for the recent Sopwith and Hawker campaign. Can't remember the squadron off the top of my head.

Just to tempt everyone over to a Malta campaign, here's a very brief list of aircraft used during the campaign:

Gloster Sea Gladiator
Hurricane IIa/b/c
Spitfire Vb/c
Fairey Fulmar
Fairey Swordfish
Fairey Albacore
Martin Maryland
Vickers Wellington
DH Mosquito NF.II
Bristol Blenheim I/IV
Bristol Beaufighter
Bristol Beaufort
Shorts Sunderland
Grumman Wildcat (stretching it, but they provided air cover for Spitfires launched from USS Wasp)
Fiat CR42
Fiat G50
Fiat BR20M
Macchi C200/202
SM79
CANT Z506
CANT Z1007
Re 2000/2001
Bf 109E/F/G
JU 87
JU 88A/C/D
He 111H

Some interesting choices I think.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 12:57 PM UTC
So close, the Hurricane Mk II only has decals from plane that stayed in England. Almost got a hit on the Martin Maryland, but it was a Martin Baltimore.
I think I'm going to Don's advice and propose a Mud Mover Campaign.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 01:07 PM UTC
Here are the two proposals. Mud Movers
Malta
Drop in and take a look.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 - 09:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So close, the Hurricane Mk II only has decals from plane that stayed in England. Almost got a hit on the Martin Maryland, but it was a Martin Baltimore.
I think I'm going to Don's advice and propose a Mud Mover Campaign.

Mark, you may be in luck. Turns out 203 Squadron operated Baltimore III's out of Malta in 43.
https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72104?result-token=WyT7N

Hope it helps.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 07:51 AM UTC
So close, yet so far. That's a lot more RAF marks than I'll ever build, and the Baltimore scheme is boring. The one glimmer of hope is No. 69 Squadron. Looks like they flew Baltimore in a reconnaissance role off of Malta, 1942-44. Now all I gotta do is find some generic RAF roundels and letters, then convince everyone that they flew with British desert cammo off of the island.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 08:20 AM UTC
Mark, the RAF operated Baltimore's exclusively in the Med, so I would assume they arrived from Martin in dessert colours. Any changes in colour schemes were probably then locally applied. I think you could certainly go with that scheme.
Interestingly the Malta's Maryland's were ex-French and still flew in three tone blue-grey, green and red-brown.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 05:51 PM UTC
OK, Malta and Mud Movers are actually lining up on the runway.

How about a couple of new ideas?
The Fabulous '50's -- Kind of a second golden era of flight. Vehicles that achieved fame in the 1950's. New jets were popping up all over the place. And automobiles discovered chrome and fins. So there's some cross site opportunities. Saber Jets, Century Series, T-birds and Corvettes.

Airliners -- We did Pax and Pallets a couple of years ago. How about one dedicated to commercial air carriers? Lots of colorful options and certainly plenty of airframes to choose from.
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2020 - 02:05 AM UTC
Boy, Mark, you're just bubbling over with ideas!

I like both suggestions, though we do have a Korean War campaign going on right now that ends in April, so there's some overlap there with a '50s campaign. But let's see who's interested.

Michael