1/72 Misterkit Fiat CR 42
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
AeroScale: 598 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2020 - 01:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Eight days left and I seriously think I'm going to make it in time !

Magnus

You can do it, Magnus!
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2020 - 05:37 AM UTC
If I was a cheater this one could pass off as finished but it is still missing it's exhaust pipes. I'll add them tonight and follow up with some weathering!

Part of it looks good, part of it doesn't... In my eyes, the major giveaways are where the struts attaches to the lower wing, it doesn't really meet and it looks toy like. Apart from that, it didn't look like this in real life either, each strut meets the wing separately but I glued them together in order to be able to handle it as a subassembly.

Things that can't be seen in the pics are the asymmetric fuselage halves, the lopsided engine cover, the blast tubes that don't match up with the cowling and so on...

Remember, the main selling point for this kit was "accuracy", do you remember those times? It is more "accurate" than the Revell kit...

So, enough of whining, I have to admit that I've grown quite fond of it, like when you suddenly realise that you like that troublesome work mate of your's a bit anyway !

And a final confession: I have bought the Italeri kit just to see what it is like. It's not here yet but I think it will arrive during next week.

Magnus
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2020 - 10:34 PM UTC
Well, Magnus! Asymmetric fuselage halves, the lopsided engine cover, the blast tubes that don't match up with the cowling and all the other quirks of this kit aside, you've done a great job on bringing this kit to life.

The struts do look weird: but maybe Fiat thought they were designing a bridge rather than an aircraft, as they sure look chunky!

Looking forward to seeing you get the exhausts on and finishing this off
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2020 - 12:49 PM UTC
You've got this, Magnus!

Michael
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2020 - 08:32 AM UTC
Russell! The look of those struts is probably partly due to the kit's design but even in real life it looks rather sturdy, much more so than it's contemporary, the Gladiator. Since we used them here in Sweden we are lucky enough to have one at the Air Force Museum in Linköping so I've seen it up close!

Michael! Nobody is happier than me right now !

I added a minimum of mud around the wheels and the spats. More really ought to be done around the lower surfaces but for the time being I feel that I'm finished with this one !

Retiring the avatar...

...and adding one final build to the collection before moving on to the new forums!

Magnus
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2020 - 09:48 PM UTC
Amazing work, Magnus!

Congratulations on another fine addition to the collection!

See you over on the new forums!
Removed by original poster on 12/04/20 - 08:05:25 (GMT).
Removed by original poster on 12/04/20 - 13:02:49 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP