Eduard 1/48 Fw190 D-9 Late
cabasner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2020 - 05:55 PM UTC
Hi All,

I posted this over in arcAir also, but thought I'd see if anyone was interested over here...

Attached are some pictures of my just completed 1/48 Eduard Fw190 D-9 Late. I did this one in a color scheme based on written records, not photos, so there was some artistic license employed here, for an aircraft of 9. Staffel KG(J) 27, April 1945, from the Eduard instructions. I really liked the contrasting white and green checks on the aft part of the fuselage, which is why I chose this scheme. I know that I forgot to finish the wingtip navigation lights, so I don't need any comments on that missed detail, but any and all other comments would be hugely appreciated.

By the way, I had almost trashed this build twice, the first time due to a rotten paint job on the wings, and the second due to messing up the decals on the underside of the wings, but in both cases, my wife convinced me to hold onto the model, set it aside, and look at it again at some later time, once my passion, or rather, anger, at myself for having messed up the model, had passed. This I did in both cases, and this served to salvage this airplane. I'm still finding, despite the challenges posed by doing the best possible airbrushing of various paints, brands/types/etc., the two most difficult aspects of building airplanes remains 1) decals, and 2) antennas/wires/arials. If I could nail those two areas, It would go a long way to easing the stress that builds inside me as I near the end of a model's construction.

It is not the best example of my work, but it is at least passable, and certainly better than it would been at the bottom of a trash bag somewhere. I'm still interested in any comments anyone may have! 😊

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 03:54 AM UTC
Hi Curt

That looks excellent! I'm really glad you listened to your wife and didn't ditch it!

All the best

Rowan
cabasner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 05:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Curt

That looks excellent! I'm really glad you listened to your wife and didn't ditch it!

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,

That's very kind of you to say! I appreciate the very nice words, thank you
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 08:20 AM UTC
Curt, that is an excellent paint job on the "Dora"! The white/green fuselage band is really an eye catcher. For me there's nothing wrong to see on your model. Really well done.

The decals from Eduard are sometimes a bit of a probblem, I've noticed that too. Though they are very well printed they are a bit sticky and very thin and tend to flip over if I'm not carefull enough. I've also destroyed decals this way. I always use warm water with a few drops of vinegar essence in it. That usually helps to get the decals soft and flexible, so they do what I want. You did the decaling on "Yellow 6" very well as I don't see any silvering.

I'm sure you're happy that you didn't trash this build. Thanks for showing!

Happy modelling!
Torsten
cabasner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 09:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Curt, that is an excellent paint job on the "Dora"! The white/green fuselage band is really an eye catcher. For me there's nothing wrong to see on your model. Really well done.

The decals from Eduard are sometimes a bit of a probblem, I've noticed that too. Though they are very well printed they are a bit sticky and very thin and tend to flip over if I'm not carefull enough. I've also destroyed decals this way. I always use warm water with a few drops of vinegar essence in it. That usually helps to get the decals soft and flexible, so they do what I want. You did the decaling on "Yellow 6" very well as I don't see any silvering.

I'm sure you're happy that you didn't trash this build. Thanks for showing!

Happy modelling!
Torsten

Torsten,

Many thanks for your very kind words! Regarding the paint color (not the checkerboard color), I had been under the very strong impression that the color that turned out green on the upper surfaces was supposed to be gray, or at least gray-ish. However, I checked 3 different paint brands for this color, the lacquer Mr. Color, Mission Model paints, and one other. I ended up using the Mission Model version. Where I felt I'd screwed up was in the transition between the colors on the upper wing surfaces. After I left the plane alone for several weeks to let myself cool off, I ended up going back and doing some 'fixing', though you'll still see a variation between hard ended and feathered transitions between the colors, which I really didn't like, but I felt better to leave well enough alone.

The thing with the decals wasn't putting them down. This particular kit has spectacular decals in terms of density, minimal 'overhang' past the edge of the printed part of the decals, and so thin that they do look almost painted-on. My error was assuming that after setting, and then doing an overcoat with layers of both gloss and, finally, flat, that it would be okay to at least gently mask over them. Wrong! The masking tore up sections of the black crosses, although not every part that was covered by masking. I used Tamiya kabuki tape, lightly applied. Not good. I ended up masking off the parts that got pulled away, and painted the remaining needed parts of the crosses with Tamiya flat black paint. Not perfect sizing/alignment, but enough to complete the airplane.

So, if nothing else, I've learned a lot from this build in those 2 areas, camo color transitions and masking. Maybe next time, I'll be better!

Also, I'd be truly thankful if you, or any other viewers, give me whatever critique you think would make me a better modeler going forward! I'm never thrilled with negative comments, but I know they are necessary in order to improve. Maybe one day, I'll build the perfect model (yeah, right)!!!
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 10:35 AM UTC
Great looking build Curt, one of my favorite aircraft. Not sure I could offer any criticism looking at the images. Stunning paint work, cannot see a single blemish. Yes I have had my tribulations with Eduards decals. They are good, but don't like being pushed around much. Wing walkways are problematic, so I cut them into smaller more manageable pieces. I have yet to apply their propeller spinner spirals that I'm satisfied with.
Thanks for posting
T
cabasner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 10:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great looking build Curt, one of my favorite aircraft. Not sure I could offer any criticism looking at the images. Stunning paint work, cannot see a single blemish. Yes I have had my tribulations with Eduards decals. They are good, but don't like being pushed around much. Wing walkways are problematic, so I cut them into smaller more manageable pieces. I have yet to apply their propeller spinner spirals that I'm satisfied with.
Thanks for posting
T

Thank you, Tim...frankly I'm thrilled with the comments thus far. I didn't think I did a good job on it...but I guess many of us are particularly critical of our own work. I agree on spinner spirals. Thus far, I've only done them with 'inverse masking', never decals. They have turned out well, thus far! I concur with wing walkway decals and how to deal with them...me, too! Thanks again!
CReading
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 12:39 PM UTC
Well Curt,
The build looks great,the paint is super and the photography is excellent, I have no actual criticism to give. Had it been my build I probably would have 'worn' some areas on the wing and cockpit Areas where the pilot would have climbed up and crawled in so to speak. But seriously, I would be happy to have my builds turn out nice as yours has.

Cheers,
C.
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 01:14 PM UTC
Having built this kit myself earlier this year, I know just how much work has gone into this to get it to this standard and finish; great build Curt.

Gary
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 - 07:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

.... I have yet to apply their propeller spinner spirals that I'm satisfied with.
Thanks for posting
T

Tim, Curt, try the Eduard mask EX500 for the spinner spirals and you'll never use the decals again. And you can use the same masks 2-3 times. I'm really satisfied with my results ever since.
M4A1Sherman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
AeroScale: 254 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 12:36 AM UTC
Hi, Curt!

I'm coming into this much later than I should have. As a personal opinion, your Fw.190D-9 (Late) is FAR and ABOVE "passable". If you will refer to one of my later posts in Rowan's excellent Spitfire Mk.I builds, you'll note my feelings about other modelers' efforts, ESPECIALLY the comment Rowan made about other modelers' chagrin when comparing their models to those of very great abilities. EACH and EVERY model which is completed by ANYONE will often hide the hard work and frustrations that can, (and DO), go into said completion.

I've no criticisms to put forward regarding your build of this '190D. The only thing I might add is a reference to my own aircraft builds- I've mentioned a number of times that I like to build my aircraft as "ready for flight". In fact, your choice of displaying most of your aircraft's "buttoned-up" aspect (except for the two open Gun Bays), is very similar to my own "mode of display", i.e, all panels shut, with only the Cockpit "open". I COULD, (and have) displayed "open" panels on my aircraft in the past, noteworthy examples being my A-6E TRAM Intruder and my EA-6B "Queer", both having "open" Air Brakes and dropped Flaps...

An "open" Cockpit with WWII Bombers is a rarity, but certain examples come to mind- TBF Avengers, A-20 Havocs, SBD Dauntlesses, SB2C Helldivers and in the case of B-17s, a couple of open Cockpit "windows"...

Your work on this Focke Wulf is OUTSTANDING Curt, and I heartily APPLAUD YOUR EFFORTS!

As an aside, I've ALWAYS admired your work over on ARMORAMA, but since I hardly visit there anymore even in passing, (Mostly only to view New Products), I must apologize for not having extended my personal KUDOS to you in those instances...

Keep up the GREAT WORK! Hope to see more of your aircraft models coming our way

VR, Dennis

(PS- I NEED to get a GOOD camera with uploading and downloading capabilities, in order to join in with the fun, here!)
M4A1Sherman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 01:08 AM UTC
THANK YOU, Torsten!

I'm for EDUARD EX500 "Spinner-Spiral" Masks for my future WWII German efforts!

VR, Dennis
cabasner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 10:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

.... I have yet to apply their propeller spinner spirals that I'm satisfied with.
Thanks for posting
T

Tim, Curt, try the Eduard mask EX500 for the spinner spirals and you'll never use the decals again. And you can use the same masks 2-3 times. I'm really satisfied with my results ever since.

Thanks, Torsten, I will definitely look into that!
cabasner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - 11:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, Curt!

I'm coming into this much later than I should have. As a personal opinion, your Fw.190D-9 (Late) is FAR and ABOVE "passable". If you will refer to one of my later posts in Rowan's excellent Spitfire Mk.I builds, you'll note my feelings about other modelers' efforts, ESPECIALLY the comment Rowan made about other modelers' chagrin when comparing their models to those of very great abilities. EACH and EVERY model which is completed by ANYONE will often hide the hard work and frustrations that can, (and DO), go into said completion.

I've no criticisms to put forward regarding your build of this '190D. The only thing I might add is a reference to my own aircraft builds- I've mentioned a number of times that I like to build my aircraft as "ready for flight". In fact, your choice of displaying most of your aircraft's "buttoned-up" aspect (except for the two open Gun Bays), is very similar to my own "mode of display", i.e, all panels shut, with only the Cockpit "open". I COULD, (and have) displayed "open" panels on my aircraft in the past, noteworthy examples being my A-6E TRAM Intruder and my EA-6B "Queer", both having "open" Air Brakes and dropped Flaps...

An "open" Cockpit with WWII Bombers is a rarity, but certain examples come to mind- TBF Avengers, A-20 Havocs, SBD Dauntlesses, SB2C Helldivers and in the case of B-17s, a couple of open Cockpit "windows"...

Your work on this Focke Wulf is OUTSTANDING Curt, and I heartily APPLAUD YOUR EFFORTS!

As an aside, I've ALWAYS admired your work over on ARMORAMA, but since I hardly visit there anymore even in passing, (Mostly only to view New Products), I must apologize for not having extended my personal KUDOS to you in those instances...

Keep up the GREAT WORK! Hope to see more of your aircraft models coming our way

VR, Dennis

(PS- I NEED to get a GOOD camera with uploading and downloading capabilities, in order to join in with the fun, here!)

Hey Dennis!

Gee, what an overwhelming endorsement, sir! Thank you so much! Not sure I deserve all that! Rowan, and you, are correct, in that I'm sure that to one extent or other, there are some blood, sweat and/or tears involved in most model building. And like you, I generally like to make my airplanes, with the exception of the cockpits, looking ready for flight. The gun bay covers on this guy, even the aftermarket ones I bought, still didn't fit perfectly, so I pretty much intended for those covers to be 'up' from the beginning of the build.

Thanks so much for the compliments on my armor builds. I've been pretty much exclusive on airplanes since coming over to this side. My last tank was, I think, a Merkava Mk 4M with a scratch built Israeli insignia off the rear of the bustle rack, which I was pretty proud of. If you're interested in looking at it, without logging in over there, here's a link: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/283944&page=1#2423383

And, regarding cameras, I have a 'big gun' with 'big lenses', but I shoot the model pictures I post here with my iPhone. It's a LOT easier than having to break out a card reader, download the images onto the computer, then post-process in Photoshop. With the iPhone, all in one! Easy! And the pictures aren't even terrible. Not great, but not awful!

Thanks again, Dennis, for your kind words!
Curt
M4A1Sherman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 02:59 AM UTC
Hi, Curt!

You're VERY Welcome. Praise is due wherever and whenever it is deserved...

Having said that, let me ask what some may perceive to be a stupid question in this day and age of INTOLERANCE:

Anymore, buying a GOOD new camera with all of the fancy ding-widgets and doo-dads they have today could probably be circumvented by buying a "smartphone" instead, and thereby killing several birds with one stone, no?

Thanks, and STAY HEALTHY!

VR, Dennis

PS- I WILL take another look at your Merkava, by virtue of my having quit ARMORAMA before you completed it...
M4A1Sherman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 03:04 AM UTC
Hi, Curt!

I checked out the link you kindly sent me of your Merkava:

Yah-HAH!!! LOVE IT!!! Really GREAT WORK!!!

VR, Dennis
cabasner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

....Anymore, buying a GOOD new camera with all of the fancy ding-widgets and doo-dads they have today could probably be circumvented by buying a "smartphone" instead, and thereby killing several birds with one stone, no?

Hi again, Dennis, and thank you for the nice thoughts. Regarding the 'nice' camera question, I will tell you that my opinion is that for posting photos on forums like this, a cell phone cam is just fine. You don't need the resolution of a DSLR, and you generally don't need the depth of field (though that is helpful) and the dynamic range you can sort of fake using Photoshop. The need for the high resolution and other details of a high pixel count DSLR is really if you will be making large prints, like 30"x40" wall prints, or larger. That's my opinion, anyway. If you do your research, and get a smartphone with a decent camera, you'll be fine for this environment, really. Frankly, I'm astonished at the clarity and detail in most of the cell phone photos I take and post.
M4A1Sherman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 - 09:22 PM UTC
Hi, Curt!

I've been debating with myself over the camera vs smartphone conundrum-

I love to take scenic photos. I live in a lovely locale of the US, this being in the Western Catskills region of New York, which is known as the "Southern Tier". But, I range virtually over the entire length and breadth of New York State and parts of Northern to mid-Pennsylvania, trying out different places to stop and eat along the way. I wouldn't exactly call myself an epicure, but I don't do "fast junk-food" joints like Mickey D's, at all. I'm much more of a Diner & Family-owned Restaurant type of guy. I stay away from the New York City area entirely. I grew up in New York City, so I know enough to stay AWAY from it. I learned how to cook, do housework, do my laundry, etc at an early age. As I live alone except for my 2 cats, knowing the "domestic" stuff comes in handy. The "cooking part" is another hobby of mine- The last couple of years my Mom and Dad were still on this earth, I did the Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter Dinners in their entirety. But, I digress...

Getting back "on track", I've been using my "OLD" CANON EOS "REBEL" and my "even OLDER" MINOLTA MAXXUM 5000 cameras since the 1980s, but more and more, finding good Kodak 35mm film in my area is becoming a rarity. It seems that the big, clunky 35mm SLRs are going the way of the Dodo Bird... (sigh) I don't care for FUJI film, as their colors tend towards a rather "fake-looking" blueish tinge. I want the (to my eyes, anyway) saturation and depth of field my old 35mm "hand-bombers" will give me, which is something one wants in doing scenic photography. This is yet another hobby of mine, among many. I draw, paint and I like using artists' pastel chalks and colored pencils in my artwork, as well. The artists pastels became a part of my modeling skills way back in the early 1970s. I'm an AVID reader, mostly of a historical and biographical bent. (I've read Tolstoy's "WAR & PEACE" for my 23rd time last November while in Hospital.

Aside of aircraft, in 1/48-scale exclusively, I build, convert and re-detail HO scale brass, "hybrid" and "high-end" plastic STEAM locomotives, concentrating on the New York Central Railroad and its subsidiaries, and the New York, Ontario & Western Railway. I like to build, convert and paint scale figures, (from 1/48 and in scales ranging up to 120mm), I collect, build, detail and convert 1/16, 1/24-1/25 Classic cars of the 1910s-1960s, in plastic and in die cast, I build a ship here and there, in 1/350-1/35 scales. 1/35 military stuff comes in at fifth place, or thereabouts, as far as model-building goes. And then, I hang around on my computer a lot, as well...

So, there you have it, or I should say, there "I" have it. I've had a few rough years because of my health, so much of my "gadding about" and a lot of my modeling has been curtailed. Probably, I'll wind up buying a smartphone, but I HESITATE in spending $1000.00 or more for A TELEPHONE that takes pictures. Old-fashioned, I guess...

Thanks Curt, for listening or rather, for reading...

STAY HEALTHY!

VR, Dennis
cabasner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2020 - 02:49 AM UTC
Hi Dennis, and thanks for the background, seriously. I ended up getting several high end medium format film cameras and lenses (Hasselblad and Mamiza RZ67), not to mention a Nikon F5, the last big pro film NIkon 35mm, just before the digital craze took hold, so now I have some VERY expensive paperweights stored in my closet in big cases. I now have several Canons, a 5D Mark II and 5D Mark IV, and 7 'L' series lenses, which I've used for portrait photography. Spectacular imaging capability, not to mention the upcoming R5 and R6 mirrorless full frame Canons and new style lenses just out, which I may or may not buy some day. It's all great stuff, though one lens I have never purchased is a macro, which would be ideal for model photography. I see that Canon has come out with a new 85mm F2 Macro for the R5 series, which I guess would be a great lens if I end up going the mirrorless route. Regardless, I still find the convenience of shooting model photos with my iPhone to be too easy to pass up, unless I have a particular reason for an especially important photo of a model, in which case I certainly would break out the Canons.

Besides models, my former love was motorcycles (sportbikes, but my last 2 bikes were Harleys due to lower seat height), which I gave up a bunch of years ago due to a very long story, but no longer any balance or strength in my legs. My other 'hobby' is music, and I have more guitars (Les Pauls and Stratocasters) and basses than anyone should have, plus a big DW drum set, and a synthesizer. I could do an entire rock show with my equipment, if I could only play!

Now that we've bored everyone else with our avocations... Stay healthy and safe yourself, sir!
 _GOTOTOP