_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
What-if Campaign Interest??
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
AeroScale: 437 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 01:19 PM UTC
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering how much interest there might be in a what-if type of aircraft campaign.
I am going to do an ME-262 in Afrika scheme and decals. The 262 was never operational in WWII Africa so that is a mild what-if I will be working on.

It could be any aircraft or anything that flies from any era transformed into something it never was. How about a space shuttle painted to look like a WWII Stuka Dive Bomber. Maybe a Huey painted up in some of the really wild WWII Japanese jungle schemes. The imagination could run wild with this one.
Anyone with the capability to make his own decals could really have fun with this one too.

I don't have too many details thought up yet on start and ending time yet but I would be looking at probably a fairly good length of time to complete the projects. Maybe a start in Nov. or Dec. ending some time in possibly April, May or June. Or even longer if all interested would like a longer length of time to finish.

This was just an idea I had come up with and thought I would pass it on. I just wanted to see first how many might be interested in this. If anyone is interested and if there are enough interested then I will get more specific details and put in a request to start a compaign.

Good modeling all,
Wayne
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 01:54 PM UTC
Probably since I am one of the more active "What If" people around here, I would definatly be interested!!!!

I will put word out on the "What IF" website, as I know a few of them are members here as well, Ollie for one and fellow Canuck to boot!! LOL

I won't even begin a list of planned what if projects that I have!!!! We wouldn't have enough server space...LOL
Tony_Frey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 272 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 02:10 PM UTC
Count me in!!
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 02:26 PM UTC
Hello, eh!

newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 03:20 PM UTC
I would be interested too. Throwing a couple of ideas around in my head, but definately in.

Viper29, What is the what if website?

Leon
TsunamiBomb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 03:33 PM UTC
Umm I didnt know that they had me-262's in africa. I thought it was to late in the war? correct me if im wrong.
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 05:47 PM UTC
Hi....

It sounds like a mirror campaign of the PX one.

PX is for anything experimental, any concept or secret project for any vehicle, machine. Air, land, sea or space.
Therefore anything "what-if".
Px 2004 is due to end in the new year.....and judging by the response, there will likely be a PX 2005.

However if its a go...count me in....

Cheers and thanks.
Peter
ave
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Klang, Malaysia
KitMaker: 417 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 07:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Umm I didnt know that they had me-262's in africa. I thought it was to late in the war? correct me if im wrong.

they didnt, thats why this is a 'what-if' campaign
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 07:34 PM UTC
Further thoughts...
Both Merlin and myself have been toying with a wingy only type campaign for what-ifs, in addition to the all-encompassing PX Campaigns (current and future).

If this campaign idea is for winged machinery only then I'm definitely in.
Luft 46 opportunities don't come around often so its one too good to miss.

Maybe to give it a little difference or theme, maybe we could expand on the desert Me 262 idea. In that it could be a theatre of operations based campaign.
i.e. Any winged machine done in a camo scheme of an imaginary theatre in which it might have been used....???

Any comments???...lol.

Cheers
Peter

:-)
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 - 08:52 PM UTC
I would like to do an Apache in Swedish markings, would something like that count? Or am I missing the point??
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 01:27 AM UTC
Here's the What-If website :

What If
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 01:28 AM UTC
We could do something based on a particular air force.

Such as what-if USAF stuff : foreign aircrafts they never bought, domestic aircrafts never made or procured.

The possibilities are endless.

Or create a war scenario with different vehicules!

viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 02:17 AM UTC
Yes a "What If" Campaign. It would differ from the PX campaign a little.

Where as the PX campaign (as to my understanding) is for experimental and conceptual aircraft, example would be any of the US X planes, X-1, X-15, X-30, etc, etc, or concept planes that never got off of the paper, or never went into wide scale production, for example, F-107, Avro Arrow, British TSR, etc.

Now a What If project would me more like.....

A Su-34 with Canadain markings (For Ollie)

Me-262 in african camo in 1946

Or as you can see in my own gallery a Canadian CF-117A, or a Canadian CF-120A, F-117 Nighthawk and F-20 Tigershark respectivly, neither of which has ever flown in the Canadian Air Force....although the F-20 was an almost.

So you can see that although similar, the campaigns would be different.

And anyone interested in checking out the What If website, where you can see a multitude of other "What If" subjects, you can go here:

What If Modelers

Also if you want want to get into our message board, just click on "discussions"
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 02:26 AM UTC
I was thinking of doing a what if the p-47 was a navy plane. An idea I got off a post on finescale. I was probably going to do a thunderbolt in the tri-color scheme or ASW scheme.
Leon
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 02:57 AM UTC
Scott/Viper, the CF-134 is almost done!!

A few decals to glue, then the final clear coat.

Next week, next week!!

whodini
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 359 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 03:50 AM UTC
Hey all,

I'm in. This sounds great! I think maybe say that there were 2 more years added to ww2 for this campaign?

Rob
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 05:10 AM UTC
Or we could have a special themed campaign every year.

Example :

- WWII that lasts until 1947.

- Korea that lasts to 1960.

- Second Korean War in the 1990s.

- NATO vs. Soviet Block in the 1980s.

Possibilities are endless.

Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 12:22 PM UTC
Wow, This is great! It looks like we might have something in the works here.

Thanks to all of you so far for your interest and input. I think we could really have some fun with this.
To have an official campaign we need 10 modelers. Since I am trying to start this does this mean me and 9 others, or me and 10 others? I have never done this before so it is all new to me.
So far we have definite interest from
Wad_ware (me)
viper29_ca
Tony_Frey
newtothegame
flitzer
HunterCottage
OllieC-FWOL
whodini

TsunamiBomb and ave have posted here but havn't said one way or the or the on interest in this campaign. If both of you do want to join in that makes our ten. If not, then we still need a couple more.
If before long we cant fill out the roster I say we just stay together for a fun group build. Sound OK?

To try and answer some of your qestions:

flitzer - I would like to keep this as a winged vehicle only campaign. This would include anything from planes to helicopters to space shuttles. If it has wings or props and flies then it fits here.

HunterCottage - If the Apache has never in real life flown with Swedish markings then it fits the campaign.

My main idea for the campaign is to paint the craft in schemes and/or squadron markings that never historically appeard on the craft.
Such as my ME-262. The 262 never flew in WWII Africa. So the Luftwaffe desert schemes on an ME-262 is something that historically never happened and fits the campaign.
It could also be something totally off the wall such as an Apache or Huey painted in the schemes and markings out of Richtofen's flying circus from WWI.

I also think that kit bashing is open here too. Say if one were to take a space shuttle and paint it in a Stuka Dive bomber scheme. Adding bomb hangers and bombs and or drop tanks would be a great idea. Or if this were a tank buster stuka squadron then added on canons would be a big plus.Not required, but very cool if added on.

I am open to all your input. I would like to keep this fun and open enough to satisfy everyones' interest and imagination. Once we get a full dedicated roster then I will go and start the process to get the campaign going.
What is a good reasonable length of time for a compain? How long would all of you like? There should be no rush or pressure involved to try and get the kits done.

Wayne
whodini
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 12:43 PM UTC
Hey wad_ware.

What about designing your own plane and scratchbuilding it? Like Merlin had a Me-262 of his own design.

Rob
whodini
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 12:46 PM UTC
About Campaign timeframe:

I think maybe up until the end of janruary?

Rob

P.S. I'm thinking of also building a Me-262 with big anti-tank cannons, and maybe with Rocket Assisted Take Off.

OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 01:11 PM UTC
What about end of February?

Almost all the campaigns currently up finish around January 1st. It would give us time to turn around and concentrate on the build.

And you need to design a special ribbon for it!

whodini
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 02:01 PM UTC
Yeah,

I agree, The end of february

Rob
Tony_Frey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 272 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 02:43 PM UTC
End of February is good for me, too.
Wad_ware
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 03:22 PM UTC
Rob - scratch building would be great. I think that definately fits in with the what-if scenarios - anything real, experimental, sci-fi or fantasy and definately scratch built. In a way we will be rewriting a aeronautical history that never happened .... but could have

The end of February is sounding good to me too. It all depends on how soon we actually officially get to start the campaign. I'll go read more in depth with the rules etc..

Do I have to have a ribbon designed before we start or do I just need one by the time the campaign is over with? I need to look into that and learn about how to do that... size, format, how to submit it and distribute it after the campaign is hopefully successful.

Also..I havn't been able to come up with much of a good name for our campaign yet. Any ideas?
About the only things I come up with so far is "Rewriting History" or "Time Shift". Both of those seem kind of so-so to me. I am definitly open to suggestions on the name.

Wayne
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2004 - 03:28 PM UTC
Howdy Wad_ware,

As the proud ramrod of the recently completed "Incoming!!" Campaign I wish you well.

Just as input. Being the resident President of the ' Variant Lover's' Club here at Armorama, I have nothing but 'positive waves Moriarity' for you in regards to this fledgling Campaign.
What-if's are meat for the Butcher, and nothing but juicy fodder for those of us who scratch or bash.

Thx go to both OllieC and viper for the 'What-if' links.....interesting site. And it opens up all kinds of possibilities doesn't it? Makes me wish I had the time to enlist, it sounds like a lot of fun.

Tread.
 _GOTOTOP