_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Stripping an entire model
lopper99
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2005 - 11:42 AM UTC
I have a 1/48 Fockewulf 190-D9 that I completed about 6 months ago. Since then I have become much more skilled at painting and finishing. (Mainly airbrush motteling, the know-how gained mostly from you , the aircraft forum. Thank you.) I'm considering stripping pretty near the entire model. Has anyone done this? I've read about using oven cleaner as the stripper. Any Suggestions beside purchasing a new kit?

p.s. enamel paint + 2 coats of enamel clearcoat
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2005 - 12:22 PM UTC
lopper99 - I've used "Liquid Wrench" but I have heard "EZ OFF" oven cleaner works well. You'll need a large baggie to put the model in to let it "soak".
SkyWrench
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2005 - 12:39 PM UTC
Hey lopper,
Oven cleaner (EZ-Off) works great--got the tip from this site, used it , loved it. However, the peices I did were unassembled, so if your model has any putty, I'm not sure if the oven cleaner will take that off too. The paint I took off was MM enamel.
I have also heard brake fluid, but I have never personally tried it.
archerwin15
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 14 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2005 - 12:47 PM UTC
i've read in other forums that you can use brake fluid. BUT i haven't tried it yet.

for acrylic paints this is what I do:
1. Dissolve Washing machine powder soap in water ~ 1 scoop to 500ml
2. Dip the entire model in the mixture for around 2 days. agitate the mixture 1x a day.

This will strip-off all the paints and will weaken joined parts by CA glue.

i've already tried this on my f-18 model painted by tamiya/gunze sangyo.
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2005 - 12:48 PM UTC
Head to your local Wal Mart and get yourself a bottle of Castrol Super Clean, comes in a purple bottle.

This stuff will take paint off, no matter how many layers or how old the paint is.

It smells nice, not as harsh as EZ OFF Oven Cleaner, not as toxic on the plastic as brake cleaner.

Spray on the Castrol, cover with saran wrap and in a day, all you need will be some gentle srubbing in the recessed areas with a toothbrush and you will be good to go to repaint!!
Stahlhelm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2005 - 12:58 PM UTC
I have used EZ-Off, brake fluid, Castrol cleaner and finally discovered Scalecoat paint stripper - definately the way to go plus you can use it over and over.

Cody
SkyWrench
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2005 - 01:14 PM UTC
Cody,
Is that Scalecoat as in the stuff model railroaders use? Do you just get that wherever they sell the paint?
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2005 - 04:52 PM UTC
Hey Lopper, when i strip my models of paint i drob them in a bucket Simple Green and let them soak for a day or two. You can buy this at any auto parts store for around $5-6 dollars. Sometime the paint starts to come of within an hour or two. This stuff also removes the chrome plating of the plastic. It wont' harm the clear parts either. After most or all the paint is dissolved of the kit, just rinse under warm water and use a tooth brush to help remove paint in some areas such as panel lines. Simple Green will remove just about any paint applyed even oils, oils will take a bit longer, about a week. Oh...by the way welcome to the big "A".
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 489 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2005 - 06:22 PM UTC
A lot of good info here. I have used brake fluid to strip factory paint jobs off of model railroad equipment and it worked OK. Not great, but it did work. I had to do some scrubbing with an old toothbrush to get the paint out of recessed areas. Also, the models in question were not yet assembled so I don't know how it would effect the glue and putty work on your FW. I wouldn't recommend using the brake cleaner because of that.
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 07:58 AM UTC
Viper boy, is the Castrol stuff easy on the clear parts too?

lopper99
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 12:25 PM UTC
Thank you all very much for your gracious help and energy expenditure (You guys aren't Lazy when it comes to helping).

I'll use Easy-Off oven cleaner. It sounds quick. I have experience with it and I remember how well it cleaned up the engine of my "67 Pontiac Lemanns. Thick grease right off. At the time I also learned that it stripped enamel paint from the engine compartment quite well also. Thanks again!
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 12:33 PM UTC
i tried mineral spirts on a figure once :-) lol, and let it sock in for hte nigth since the paitn wasnt coming off well.. to my surprise, the paint had peeled of hte next day, and i grabed it with my hands and left huge finger print :-) :-) :-) lol, ended up throwing the 1/35 fig away because it wasnt no good

if you ever whant to strip of acrylics try using future, works good and doesnt damage the plastic

Frank
Stahlhelm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 12:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cody,
Is that Scalecoat as in the stuff model railroaders use? Do you just get that wherever they sell the paint?

It sure is. The stuff is more expensive than most of the alternatives but it is predictable, fast and safe on plastic/resin plus it can be used over and over. I have used the same bottle for 7 years now.

Cody
SkyWrench
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 01:01 PM UTC
Thanks Cody.
 _GOTOTOP