_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Filler
lordQ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 530 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 05:51 AM UTC
hi guys,

I'm currently building on revell's Bf-110 G-2
My Questions,

What are the best fillers? (i'm using Valleyo's Filler,but it sucks!).

Is "Zap a Gap" any good?

Any other good brands,and what's the best way for applying filler.I use the "tape and filler" method.But what to do whane one side of the fuselage is a little higher than the other,how to correct this?

any tips on brands and methods?
cheerz Q.
bowjunkie35
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 576 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 05:58 AM UTC
I am still a squadron green believer.

Quoted Text

Any other good brands,and what's the best way for applying filler.I use the "tape and filler" method.But what to do whane one side of the fuselage is a little higher than the other,how to correct this?

A small fine file, some epoxy putty and squadron green have worked well for me in this case.

steeldog51
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,114 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 06:39 AM UTC
Do you mean Vallejo Plastic putty ?
i agree its nota great gap filler and remains quite chalky
it make better texturing applicants like mud etc...
Steves method is what i utilise too
IndyCopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 12:52 PM UTC
I have always used squadron green putty. I have recently started using Tamiya's gray putty I have been really impressed with it.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 08:42 AM UTC
I have built this beauty

I like the Squadron putties both green and white. I have run out of both though and can't find a source for more At the moment I'm using Revells "Plasto", not as good as the Squadron stuff but it does the job.
By "tape and filler method" I assume you mean that you lay down tape, either side of the area to be filled, before applying the filler, remove the tape (which removes the excess filler) then re-apply tape (to protect detail) then sand the filler? This is the method I use and it works well. For applying the filler I use a dental tool which is like a double ended mini spatula. A scalpel blade works well too.
For uneven joints, such as your fuselage halves, The first thing to do is to test fit, therefore hopefully finding the problem before gluing the halves together. Having found the problem you may be able to do something about it when gluing the halves. A couple of pieces of sprue, cut to length, and fitted inside the lower fuselage half, to lift it, might work. You might find that strips of plastic card glued alternately along the underside of both inside edges will work. You could hold the halves in alignment and use CA and zapper. If the halves are already joined then I think the only answer is to use filler to fill in the step, then sand it back to give the correct fuselage profile. Squadron Green stuff works well for this. The biggest problem comes when re-instating the lost panel lines as filler does not scribe easilly and tends to splinter. I have scribed over Squadron green and white stuff successfully. If you are worried about this then CA gap filling glue works well and will take scribing.
I would assume that "Zap a Gap" is much the same as any other CA glue. I tend to by the cheap stuff, as it all goes off quickly whichever brand you choose(I can't be arsed to keep it in the fridge, to much beer :-) ) HTH.
Mal
mikeli125
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 09:09 AM UTC
Mal,
Try Transport models in Preston they stock both types of Sqn putty
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2005 - 09:20 AM UTC
Thanks Davy, you're a life saver. As long as I don't have to go to Preston :-)
Thanks for the link
Mal
lordQ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 530 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 07:33 AM UTC
thanks guys!

(holdfast )
 _GOTOTOP