_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Monogram 'Pro Modeler' series
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 09:18 AM UTC
I recently picked up Monograms 'Pro Modeler' version of the F86 Dog Sabre, and just from looking at it on the sprues it looks like a nice kit. Fine recessed detail, crisp modling and no flash to see. I think this kit won 1st or 2nd place in the FSM aircraft kit of the year.
My question is; Are all the kits in the 'pro series' this good? I know that there's also a Junkers Ju-88C and a P-38 in the series (in 1/48th, by the way... )
Thanks in andvance for any responses. (not that I need more model kits! )

YodaMan
cfbush2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 09:29 AM UTC
Yodaman,
I have the Dog Sabre and the Ju 52/3m Transport. I haven't started either.You know about the Dog Sabre,so...the Ju 52 is also very nice IMHO. The top of the cabin can be removed to view the interior. And it looks tome like the fit is good enough that leaving it removable won't detract from the model. The interior is ok as is, or you could add to it. There are even a couple of 48 scale figures in the kit. HTH.
ArmouredSprue
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
AeroScale: 116 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 10:11 AM UTC
Hi Yoda,
I got a couple of 1/72 kits from them and they´re great just OOB, all models I got the chance to into (from them) I liked.
And they´re not overpriced as a Tamiya new molds...
Kraftstoff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 93 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 10:17 AM UTC
Hi all,
the 1/48 Do335 + A-26 have raised panel lines...
very nice kits include: Me410, Ju52, Me110, Helldiver, Su-25....generally the recent issues(not re-release) are overall very good
Cheers
Dave
Folgore
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 11:40 AM UTC
I've built their Ju-88 twice and one Ju-52. Both of them were very good. Like Charles said, the top of the Ju-52 can be made removeable to show the detail inside and the overall fit is very good; no filler needed along the wing roots.

Nic
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 08:29 PM UTC
I have done the B24 in 1/48 in this series and it was very good, came with a decent pe frett. It has good detail on nice crisp panel lines. Overall was a good build. No major problem. The fit was good enough to not remember any major putty usage.
I built a PBY also and I think it came from the same series. It was a really fun kit to build. Again thumbs up for this one too. :-)
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 11:19 PM UTC
I'll toss in my two cents here too - I recently won the Pro Modeler F86D Dog Sabre at a model contest raffle - and was pleasantly surprised. All of the PM models I've seen look pretty nice right out of the box. This one looks like a winner too...

Gunnie
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 11:42 PM UTC
I've found the "ProModeller" line to be first class all the way. I purchase them with complete confidence. I've picked up the newly released P-38 and the Stuka, and they are everything I've come to expect from the line. Haven't started the Ju52/3 yet, although I've washed it prior to assembly several times. Seems when I sit down to start, I keep drooling all over it.

Mike

GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 11:48 PM UTC
Hope Penny's reading this thread - it seems her next aircraft group project for the Forum might be "Monogram Pro Modeler" kits. Everyone could even write a little kit review of the one they select for Jim - HINT HINT

BTW - I haven't stopped working on my F4D-1 Skyray, just got hung up waiting (and waiting) for Cutting Edge's Cockpit Set. Man, I've heard that is one nice group of resin bits. If the dang thing doesn't get here soon, I'll have to forge ahead without it...

Gunnie
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 09:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hope Penny's reading this thread - it seems her next aircraft group project for the Forum might be "Monogram Pro Modeler" kits. Everyone could even write a little kit review of the one they select for Jim - HINT HINT

Gee, could Gunnie be wanting to do another aircraft kit? :-) They're pretty neat, aren't they? I can' wat to get started on my 1/48th Hasegawa Bf 109...

The Pro Modeler series would be a cool theme for the next build. I'll second that idea, Gunnie!
Would it be an OOB affair, then?

YodaMan
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 09:39 AM UTC
Yeah - I actually think that OOB would be more fun than letting everyone go hog-wild. I know it would keep me reined in :-) - and maybe the projects would get done sooner. Besides, the PM kits are so nice, there isn't much more I'd want to add anyway...

Gunnie
Jeepney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 09:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gunnie

No problem with that! I've finally found a local Revell-Monogram and Revell of Germany distributor! But I've yet to upload my pics for the current group build #:-)
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 06:58 AM UTC
I wonder of Penny's read this thread yet. Could she be one of those people who don't spend half of every day surfing ArmoramA? Whatever it is, she has multiple private messages inbound!
As for Pro Modeler, I didn't think that there were so many different kits in the series. I've only seen three. ::::sigh:::: What's it take to get more than two model retailers in one's home town?

YodaMan
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 07:15 AM UTC
TWO.....(I don't consider the K-mart/Walmart a "Model retailer" So......I've got to drive at least
50 or 65 miles to the nearest one..........

Matt
drewgimpy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 01:39 PM UTC
Last night at my local IPMS meeting I sat next to a guy who had the pro modeler F86 Dog Sabre kit and I was really quite suprised how nice it looked. It came with some nice PE also which suprised me. Looking through an old 1999 FSM on my uh... thrown earlier I saw an add with the helldiver that really called out to me.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2002 - 04:43 AM UTC
Well Yoda, I read all the messages and I guess we can do a two kit A/C build. We can have it where the builders have a choice of doing a PM F-86 Sabre,P-38 or the Ju-88. I can sit down and figure out some more details and post a new topic and get you guys' input and comments. We can schedule this one to start at the beginning of the year so some of us can take a breather between builds, and buy the kits we need for the next one.

Yoda, You can help out on this one since it was YOUR idea.....
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2002 - 04:52 AM UTC
It was actually Gunnie's idea... I just sent you the PM to be sure you saw the thread.
I'll be glad to help you organize the next group build anyway! :-) I'd probably do the P-38, as I have no experince doing bare metal techniques... however, there's a first time for everyting!
I'm sure Gunnie and I could go for starting a group build on the Fine Molds Jedi Starfighter... (I ordered mine - finally!!!)

YodaMan
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2002 - 04:58 AM UTC
Great !!!!!
I will most likely do the Lightning, too. Let me sit down and do some thinking on it and then I'll PM you what details I come up with.

Thanks for helping me out.....
Chief
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2002 - 05:03 AM UTC
Hey,
If ya'll wait till after the holidays, I might be set up in Sicily by then. If so, I;ll throw in with a JU-88. Always wanted a reason to build that aircraft.
drewgimpy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2002 - 11:13 AM UTC
I thought I would give you guys a heads up that 2 of the 'Pro Modeler' models are half price this weekend at model expo (10/18-10-22). They are the P-38 Lightning "Pro Modeler" 1:48 - List $28.95 - Now $14.47 and the Dornier "Pro Modeler" 1:48 - List $36.95 - Now $18.47

There are also a bunch of other items on sale. to get to the sale you have to follow a specail link that I posted in the "general modeling" forum under "huge model expo sale".
m1garand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2002 - 11:35 AM UTC
I am working on the F-84j

A very good kit. Nice fit and comes with a small fret of p.e.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2002 - 01:23 PM UTC
Some of them are re-boxed Hasegawa kits. There maybe a re-boxed DML one in there too. Some just have upgraded decals as well as some new tool parts. ProModeler also re-boxes Revell of Germany (or vice versa) kits.
DangerAtom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2002 - 09:35 PM UTC
Sorry if I'm getting in on this late. But I did just find this site today, and this is my first post. But off the top of my head, this is what I remember on the Pro Modeler series (and what kits I can think of.)
The first ones were the Do-335, A-26, F-102, P-40, P-39, B-24, B-17, and F-117. These were all based on old kits that Monogram had out for years. Some were jazzed up with new sprues with new crew figures and equipment or bulged tires. Some may have had some photo etched bits (the Do-335 I think), the F-102 came with the Case XX wing (the origional kit had the Case X wing. Or maybe it was the other way around.) Either way, the PM F-102 is the same one that was re-released about a month ago. The B-17, I believe, came with a new Cheyanne turret. And the F-117 had the bomb bay and open bay doors added to it. But it may have been missing the PE set that came in the origional molding.
The next one out was the P-51B. It cam out the same time as Tamiya's and Accurate Miniatures P-51Bs. And it couldn't hold a candle to either one. It was the same molding as their 20+ year old kit, except they removed the raised pannel lines from the mold and added strips of metal to the mold to make the pannel lines recessed. In so many words, it looked like crap. They would have been better off leaving the old molds alone. I gripe more about this kit more than any other I have ever bought. All Pro Modeler kits from the P-51B on had recessed pannel lines.
Next up was the P-47N. This was an origional Monogram molding that made it's maiden release in the Pro Modeler box. It's not a bad kit overall. But it does have some fit problems and the pannel lines were not as crisp as other new kits on the market had at this time. And it came out at the same time as the Academy P-47N. And many people opted for it over the PM kit because the molding was crisper and the fit problems were fewer, and the resin people opted to make accessories for the Academy kit instead.
After that was the PBY-5 Catalina. It was the same kit that Monogram released about a year earlier, except the PM kit came with beaching gear.
I believe the next kits were the 1/72 scale kits. A Spitfire, a Bf-109G, a Fw-190, and an Me-262. These were all molded by Revell of Germany, but I don't think ROG ever released them. These were all simple, easy to build kits. Few parts. But the looked good when done.
Then came a long line of Pro Modeler origionals. Bf-110, the Helldiver (with photo etch sheet), Me-410, F-84G ( with PE sheet), and Ju-52. All of them are great kits.
The F-15E was released under the Revellogram label first. Then came the PM kit about a year later with new weapons added and a new decal sheet. The last "in house" kit molded by Revell/ Monogram was the F-86D. And it may be the last they ever do.
The rest of the kits under the Pro Modeler label came from other sources. The Fw-190, TA-154 and Ju-88 came from DML molds. And the P-38 and Stuka came from Hasegawa molds. And I believe they are also going to release the Hasegawa A-4 under the PM label.
The Do-217, I'm not sure about. I think it may be a Revellogram/ PM origional. I have the kit. But I haven't even unwraped it yet.
I know there are some kits I have missed. But this is all I could dredge out of my foggy head. Hope this helps out.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 02:16 AM UTC
The 1/72 Spitfire (V?) was released by Revell of Germany. I have the PM kit and differs by only decals and size of box. PM version includes US markings for the MTO.
DangerAtom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2002 - 10:59 AM UTC
Oh yeah. Also the Fw-190D-11. It's also another DML molding. Actually, the Fw-190D-11 and the Fw-190G-2/3 lineage goes back too Trimaster, who DML bought the molds from after Trimaster went belly up. Revellogram is also getting ready to put out an F-4E and F4U-5N, possibly under the PM label. And it is suspected that these will also be from Hasegawa molds.
 _GOTOTOP