_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Mitsubishi A5M Claude finished
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 02:31 PM UTC
I finished Classic Airframes' 1/48 Mitsubishi A5M "Claude" today. This is the nicest limited run kit I've had the pleasure to build. While it takes a bit more work to build than a mainstream kit, it sure doesn't LOOK like it was done with low-quality molds. I really like this kit !

Using pics I found on the web, I added support arms from the engine to the cowling. The resin telescopic gunsight was drilled out at either end, and Krystal Kleer was used for the lenses. The fronts of the prop blades were painted with Alcad polished aluminum. I lost the tailwheel, so I pilfered one from the old Hasegawa A6M kit (with the raised lines).

The finish is Alcad aluminum over a primer coat of Future. Gunze clear yellow was mixed with Future, and sprayed over the aluminum. These aircraft were said to have a "golden" color, perhaps because of a clear varnish that yellowed. Whatever the case, I like the way it looks.

Here's my finished Claude ! I hope you like it, too.

Spitfire fans, you gotta like these wings !

This kit is still available, so there will probably be more on my shelf one day. Thanks for letting me share the build with you !
Monte
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 833 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 02:38 PM UTC
Awesome job Bill! That paint job is excellent!
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 03:42 PM UTC
Very nice replica of a forgotten fighter for the most part. I especially like how the tinted future turned out. Well done sir.

Brian
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 11:51 PM UTC
Thanks Monte and bf443 !

This kit was a LOT of fun to build ! I have to get a couple more now, since any other aircraft next to it appears dull.

I took a quick shot of the Claude with it's successor, the A6M Zeke. The Zeke was a small aircraft, and the Claude is even smaller. The A6M is a Hasegawa kit, with Verlinden wingtips, rudder, and flaps.

Thanks again !
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, May 09, 2005 - 06:17 AM UTC
Awsome Bill, certainly is different.
What did you use to make the support arms on the engine?
Mal
 _GOTOTOP