Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Do 335B Zerstorer
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2005 - 06:18 AM UTC
A few days ago I finished my Tamiya Do 335B, my first Tamiya airplane model and for sure won't be my last! This is a great kit and I very highly recommend this model to anyone interested in prop fighters.

Here are some pics of my model

Matrixone
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 97 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 04:00 AM UTC
A very nice job, especially the posing of the model, which looks very realistic. I have two Frog Do335s that need doing (30 odd years old but still good models for all that) and I agree that it's one of the more interesting aircraft around.
mossieramm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 253 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 06:49 PM UTC
Looks very good, makes me want to pull mine out of the stash. What is your base made of ??
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2005 - 03:19 AM UTC
Ian2,

I agree, the Do 335 is a very cool looking a/c.

A few years ago I built the 1/72 Dragon Do 335B and it was a nightmare finding space in the nose to add enough lead weight to prevent it from being a tail sitter!

The Frog Do 335 kit is one I have not seen before, good luck with them and I hope you post some pics of your finished models.

Matrixone
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2005 - 03:34 AM UTC
mossieramm,

Thanks for the comment!

My photobase is made from three pieces of scrap plywood purchased from a local lumberyard, it is covered with RR static grass.
The backdrop is airbrushed poster paper, and I have built a hanger and other buildings for use in taking pictures using my photobase.

This Tamiya Do 335 kit is really good and you will like how well it builds up, it is time well spent.

Matrixone
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 12:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ian2,

I agree, the Do 335 is a very cool looking a/c.

A few years ago I built the 1/72 Dragon Do 335B and it was a nightmare finding space in the nose to add enough lead weight to prevent it from being a tail sitter!

The Frog Do 335 kit is one I have not seen before, good luck with them and I hope you post some pics of your finished models.

Matrixone

Thanks.

You might have seen the Frog kit in a Revell box at some point (& I think Matchbox did it as well). It's the 2 seater night fighter/trainer variant, the shape looks correct (Frog were quite good in that regard) but interior detail is limited to a pilot and seat.

One is 90% done and painted and the other is still in the box. If I can talk my nephew into bringing his camera round, I will try & get some in progress pics posted - though the finished article might well be a long time in appearing as I flit between projects like a bumblebee...
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 02:55 PM UTC
Ian2,

Years ago I built the Lindberg 1/72 scale Do 335, it is a very old 1960's era kit. Its not really that bad a kit and was one of the first models I remember building when I was in grade school, Lindberg also produced a He 100 and He 162 in 1/72 scale and I STILL have one He 162 kit in my stash!

Matrixone
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 12:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ian2,

Years ago I built the Lindberg 1/72 scale Do 335, it is a very old 1960's era kit. Its not really that bad a kit and was one of the first models I remember building when I was in grade school, Lindberg also produced a He 100 and He 162 in 1/72 scale and I STILL have one He 162 kit in my stash!

Matrixone

I remember the He 100 and 162 from about 20 or so years ago. At the time they were in Revell boxes (there was another He 162 which was originally a Frog moulding).

They went together nicely enough, the only downside being the ubiquitous rivets and of course the teflon Revell decals of the time.

I also built (a couple of times) Lindberg's Do 17 and He 219 and remember how well they assembled.
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2005 - 08:17 AM UTC
Ian2,

Even though I have quite a few of the new modern kits in my stash now I still like to build some of the really old kits too, after working on these older kits from time to time it makes one appreciate how good these new Tamiya, Hasegawa, and Revell kits are.

Right now I am working on a very old Revell kit of the He 219, this happens to be one of the old kits that don't fit well at all and is a bit of a struggle to make thus far but I built this kit many years ago when I was in grade school and want to relive the early days of my scale modeling ''career''.

Matrixone
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2005 - 07:33 PM UTC
That is a really beautiful kit. I actually should get to mine, an old Monogram one with morbid decals.

Beautiful pics to!

~Chip
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 06:03 AM UTC
Thanks very much Chip!

That Monogram kit is still a good kit but is not nearly as easy to build as the new Tamiya Do 335.
You might want to consider using one of the decal sheets from Cutting Edge instead of those that came with the kit, good decals can help these older kits look much better.

Here is a pic of my Monogram Do 335...

Matrixone
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 10:57 PM UTC
this post reminded me that i have a tamiya 335A in my stash. ive had it for at least 6 years, so maybe ill build it one day!
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2005 - 01:46 PM UTC
almonkey,

You will find out that the Tamiya Do 335 has good detail AND near perfect fit, I have had the twin cockpit trainer version of this kit in my stash for two years now and might build it early next year and just last month I bought another Do 335B. These are great kits and the only possible weakness to them is the decals. Cutting Edge makes three different decal sheets for the Do 335 and are well worth the money.

Matrixone
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 10:54 AM UTC
Hi Les

That '335 is superb! I really wish you'd do us a feature on how you photograph your models.

Wow! That old Revell kit brings back memories... I remember heated arguments in the playgound over the relative merits of the Frog and Revell He 219s! Didn't the Revell kit feature "detailed engines", while Frog had all-working control surfaces?... it's a long time ago...

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 06:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That '335 is superb! I really wish you'd do us a feature on how you photograph your models.

Got to agree with Rowan, another great looking model and so well photographed.
If you would consider doing an article on how you photograph your models it would go a long way in helping to further one of the aims of the MOM. That is to improve model photography in this forum.
I also have a 335 in my stash, I must start it very soon. I also have the Monogram kit which I was thinking of converting to a night fighter
Mal
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 02:12 PM UTC
Thanks very much Rowan and Mal!

Rowan,
Yes the Revell He 219 kit has the ''detailed engines'' but look more like detailed blocks of plastic to me.
Many years ago I built this very same kit and I am only building this model to bring back some memories of my childhood, there is no way this model will come close to the quality of the models seen on MOM.

Mal,
I will consider doing a feature on how I photograph my models, but not in the near future. My modeling time is very limited because of work commitments but things might get back to normal by next year.
I am working very hard right now to finish my new model for the November MOM and but might not be able to meet the deadline.
BTW, how does one submit a feature for armorama anyway? I have no experience doing any thing like this and don't know where to start.

Here is another pic of the Monogram Do 335...

Matrixone
13b
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 01:10 AM UTC
hi
i am building a Do 335. i bought the kit in germany when i was stationed there and never opened it untill now. i found out that there was only half of instructions and they are final assembly. does anyone has a copy of their old instructions so i can put the engines and cocpit together?
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 03:00 AM UTC
Hi Pavel!

Welcome to Armorama!

Is it the 1/48 Tamiya Do335 kit you refer to? If yes, is it the one or two seater?

Jean-Luc
13b
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 04:42 AM UTC
no it is a 1/72 revell
one seater, but anything that will help me at least some to put this model together, will be helpfull
moJimbo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Shah Alam, Malaysia
KitMaker: 986 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 02:43 PM UTC
..those are great looking 335s les! the way you depict them in the photo, with the other planes and vehicles, is really amazing... good work!

since the 335s are on the ground, perhaps you can open the covers to show the engines? .. and add a few maintenance figs as well?
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 04:24 AM UTC
Thanks moJimbo!

I have a few sets of figures, Verlinden Luftwaffe airfield start carts, and Opel Blitz fuel trucks that I will add to my pictures someday but at this time I just don't have time to build and paint them.
Right now because of my job my modeling time is almost down to nothing and I have trouble just finishing a model built OOB.
I would like to try building at least one of my models with the engine cowling open and engine exposed, maybe next year.
My plans are to build a few more a/c models and take a break from them for a while so I can build a new airplane hanger, this hanger will be large enough to have several models parked inside of it and will look good as part of the background in my pictures.

Matrixone
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 08:01 PM UTC
Hi matrixone

I wish my example looked as good as that!

Mine has the 1990s artwork on it (looking at yours, I think it's a 1980s one, when they put photos on the box tops) - parts fit leaves a lot to be desired, I've found, plus all those blasted rivets! I'm teaching myself panel scribing which is harder than it looks as my hands aren't the steadiest. Doubtless I'll take forever to complete it but hopefully the end result will be worth the effort.

I swap between doing the Revell example and an old Frog kit I bought some years back - I've seen one of these built up on aircraftresourcecentre.com and it looks just great.
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 08:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Les

Wow! That old Revell kit brings back memories... I remember heated arguments in the playgound over the relative merits of the Frog and Revell He 219s! Didn't the Revell kit feature "detailed engines", while Frog had all-working control surfaces?... it's a long time ago...

All the best

Rowan

You are right! Though "detailed engines" might be pushing the envelope a bit by today's standards! The cowlings were operable to show the engines too.

I had to do some major sanding and filling on mine as it's easier to have everything closed up, (in my opinion, anyway) so the engines got chopped about and loaded with plasticene and lead to prevent the tailsitting syndrome that we all are familiar with!

The Frog kit does indeed have all separate flying surfaces, so that's loads of bits around the tail and potential trouble with weighting later.
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 02:38 PM UTC
Ian2,

My Revell He 219 has the mass of overscale too, a lot of them were erased when I sanded all the putty I used to fill the gaps on the wings and fuselage.

Most of the lead weight on my model is placed in the cockpit area, might as well do that because there is no cockpit detail anyway!

I am finishing up my Huma Me 209 now and have started the Huma 309 and Dragon Ta 152C. None of these kits fit well and will require putty and sanding work to look good.
After these three models are finished I will return to the He 219 and finish it. There are so many interesting kits in my stash I find it hard to stay focused on just one at a time and I come close to losing interest when working on these older kits that fit so poorly. My time for modeling is very limited right now and building my older kits seems like it takes forever!

Matrixone
Spot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 95 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 02:51 PM UTC
Les, one question, are all those airplanes in the background digitally added or did you build those? By the way it looks great. How did you come up with the idea for the background anyway and how long did it take to build? How did you build the hanger?

Thx Spot

P.S. sorry for the more than one question
 _GOTOTOP