_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Planes shooting themselfs down
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2002 - 07:36 AM UTC
A F-4 can hit mach 2.2 with no problem.I remember reading one time about a F-4G at a war exercise and a F-14 came to intecept him.The Cat was up at about 15000ft andtried to come right behind the F-4 which was at about 6-7000ft and by the time the Cat got there he couldnt find the F-4 because they lit thier J-79s and were gone lol.
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2002 - 07:43 AM UTC
I remember reading about an incident with the F104 Starfighter,

This jet was one of the first aircraft to be fitted with a chain gun. the first time it was fired on the 104, the shell casings came out of the gun and instead of being ejected out of the plane they bounced back hitting the dividing wall between the gun bay and engine bay since this was a light metal they punched through and the casings were sucked into the engine. the plane made a safe landing without power.. and this problem was corrected.

Delbert
Ranger74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 04:02 AM UTC
Thereis a missle in the Air Force/Marine/Navy inventory that poses a threat to firing aircraft, The AGM-65 Maverick #:-) The Maverick missle, favorite weapon (next to GAU-8 gatlin gun) of the A-10, has a hazard zone behind the firing aircraft almost as big as the kill zone in front of the airplane. There is a fail-safe system in the Maverick, that if tracking is lost, the missle climbs and reverses course and will land behind the aircraft. In fact Maverick missles cannot be fired over friendly ground troops during training, although the 30mm can. This was why the A-10s, and other Maverick firing aircraft fired Mavericks on the Ft. Irwin northern corridor (Air Force live fire range) and never at the live-fire corridor, unless targets were way out front (where missle footprint not overlap the Army units). I learned all this while serving as the NTC Ground Liaison Officer at George AFB.
mavrick1124
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 188 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 01:14 AM UTC
Hey guys, I did hear of this happening years ago. I believe it was one of the early jets, late 50's early 60's. And the info was they were teasting 20mm cannons. The pilot fired a burst and then after passing the rounds(Unknown to him) , he turned across their path. He survived , but the plane did not.
mavrick1124
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 188 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 01:22 AM UTC
Oh yeah, I'm sure you all have heard the horror stories of the A-6 Intruders blowing them selves up in flight. Early problems when arming the bombs and then they not dropping. Eject, eject---------------POP goes the A-6.
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 04:21 AM UTC
I still think the guy is full of it, he is talking about Corsair here, I can see it happens to a very fast Jet, and I know that there was incident that a missle shot down its firer, but this is a Propeller Plane we are talking about here.... #:-)
Folgore
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 04:50 AM UTC
I still think my previuos idea would be at least possible. If the guy was fooling around, firing a hail of bullets up into the air, then, if he changed his course appropriately, some could end up landing on him. Perhaps if they hit in the right (or wrong) spot, it could result in mechanical difficulty.

Nic
 _GOTOTOP