_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Contests
A monthly online photo contest. Show your work!
Voting MOM for September
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 08:33 AM UTC
My apologies for the lateness of the September voting thread, there are reasons but I won’t bore you with them.

I have placed all the entries for june in a folder in the aircraft gallery so it is easier to compare..
Gallery MOM September

Please read these simple rules for voting, follow my example and there should be no problems (for those new to the vote I don’t mean vote as I do but in the way that I do as this aids me greatly in the counting).
This time any non compliance will simply be ignored and the vote will not count

1. You may vote for 3 entries
2. Your first vote is for your favourite, the second for your second favourite and the third for your third favourite
3. Do not add any comments, or smilies, or your name, or anything other than the 3 entries that you are voting for. See my note above
4. Only put your votes in your reply, nothing else. Do not post again with comments on other votes
5. Votes will be counted: 3 points for first choice, 2 points for second choice and 1 point for third choice

The above is to try and keep the voting simple to count I don't want to have to trawl through loads of posts to get the tally. If these simple rules are not adhered to I may have to ignore the ones that do not comply (again see my not above, the inability to follow these rules will make your vote void) So no comments, no smilies, no nothing, other than your vote, please, please, please, please
Mal
One pic from each entrant plus their comments, please take time to read what has been written and take all factors into account before voting. The voting criteria is up to you. Good luck everyone, voting will finish at midnight GMT on 30th September.

JPTRR
Aichi's B7A Ryusei (Comet) was code-named Grace. But she was not built to bring grace, rather tribulation! High performance, designed to be as manuverable as the Zero, it was fortunate that only 111 were built and there were not enough crews to exploit the potential of this beautiful, world-class warplane.
Hasegawa's 1/48 kit built OOB except for Squadron's Fast masks, aftermarket seatbelts up front, and homemade in back. Painted with Aeromaster Nakajima Green and Polly Scale aluminum underside.
I patterned the harsh weathering after the photos of Graces in Don Thorpe's book Japanese Naval Air Force Camouflage and Markings World War II. Primed in silver, the green and black and yellow top colors were applied and thern removed with tape, X-acto and razorsaw blades, fingernails... Then the anti-glare portion of the fuselage was put over it, and re-removed. The green was applied with irregular thickness and coverage to simulate the hurried production of late war IJN planes.
Hasegawa shows a 3-color special mix for the interior color, used within.
I tried to make the Hinomarus chipped the same way--masked a silver disc where they would be, applied the decals, and then scrape pieces off. This didn't work as well as intended, but I will try again.
The exhaust stains are mainly painted on, but there is pastel in there too, to give that lead build up look. Water-oil paints are used for POL streaks and stains.
J-Aircraft.com tells how the torpedos were left oiled bare steel, with a milky-white latex shock absorping coating applied to the nose. I lightly brushed various rust 'scratches' around it, peeled the tip of the latex off, and left the fin extentions wood.
Grace is preparing for another strike, the pace is hectic, no time to wipe away those exhaust stains left from war-emergency power used to avoid the swarming Hellcats and Corsairs....

archerwin
1/48 Tamiya J2M3 Raiden "Jack"
The kit was primed using Gunze Super Fine Metallic paint (Super Stainless). After the primer was dry, I applied a black pre-shading on the panel lines. Then I applied the color scheme using Tamiya acrylic paint. After it was totally dry, a coat of Future and the decals were installed on the model... I used a "used" 1200 grit wet sand paper to carefully sand the upper paint to expose the metallic primer and the black pre-shade paint... after that, i used pastels to add additional weathering.. Flat coat was applied to finish up the model.

betheyn
I was going to enter this last month but Newtothegame beat me too it, with his wonderful model .
This is Tamiya's 1/48 Kawanishi N1K1-Ja Shiden built OOB. Tamiya paints and decals were used and a little black smoke from Mig powders.The paint chipping was achieved by spraying flat aluminium, coating with floor polish, spraying the top coat and then using a cotton bud dipped in thinners to remove the parts of the top coat.
Thanks Andy

matrixone
This is my entry for the September MOM, the 1/48 scale ProModeler Ta 154.
It was built OOB except for the decals and props, I wanted to build my Ta 154 as the day fighter version and is painted and marked in speculative colors since no Ta 154 a/c were ever assigned to Zerstorer units.

IronFelix
Here are some pics of my MiG-29. It is the Academy 1/48 kit in Indian AF special markings for ACM. The decals come from Hi-decals. I used the Aires resin cockpit and the Eduard exterior PE set.

Silantra
this is hasegawa 1/72 F-14A build out of the box. I cut the slats to position it down.
The kit is painted with VF-111 marking (the kit includes VF-84 marking as well. Painted using Gunze MrColor and Mr.Metal for the exhaust. Panel lines were then highligthed using dish detergent method.

TedMamere
Here is my 1/32 revell Fieseler Fi 156 Storch in Bouglione Circus markings for MOM September.
The plane flew 1947 under Czech flag on a promotional tour in France. The Bouglione brothers hired the plane for the 100th anniversary of their famous Circus.
During the flight, to "add some spice", a stuntman did some figures on the top of the plane. The mast was designed for the trapeze artist...
The model was build OOB except for some details: the engine cowling panel received some venting holes, the rear gun station was deleted and the stunt devices were added...
The markings were made with a computer vector program and laser printed on transparent decal sheet. I tried to get as close as possible to the real letters. The refs I used were B&W so I'm not 100% sure of the plane's colours. I choosed a classic aluminium finish...

almonkey
no surprise's with my entry, its an AML 1/72 kit, with a little etched fret that was included, the modelling milestone with this kit is the canopy is a vacform, and this is only the second time ive used one. paints used were humbrol enamels, 147 top and 65 undersides, model was also preshaded, and lightly weathered. check out a thread in the aircraft forums called duel over spain for the full story

CPTKelley
OK, hello again......! Here's one for this month...I just finished it up last night after a 3-week struggle.For a brand-new tooling, this kit's really a big dissappointment. Really soft plastic, dubious details in some areas, and average to poor fit throughout. But, for a $15-20 model kit, it could also be a lot worse. I built this one straight out of the box, with the exception of the F.O.D. covers (thin sheet brass).
Revell 1:48 F/A-18E Super Hornet. VFA-14 "Tophatters", USS Nimitz, OIF 2004

smithery
Kit is the 1:32 Tamiya F-4J 'Marines' with Black Box cockpit, decals by FoxOne and CAM, and resin intake covers by CAM.

archerwin
This is my 1/72 Academy Me-163B Komet built last Dec 2004. The HWK 109-509 rocket engine was scratchbuilt based on excellent plans from the Hellmuth Walter website http://www.walter-rockets.i12.com/ by Shamus Reddin. The rear part of the T-Stoff tank was made from aluminum adhesive tape that was painted black. The fuselage interior was detailed with frames. This model was brush painted with Tamiya acrylics.

wingman
Hi guys. Here is my entry for MOM. I built this for my dad in January. This is Hasegawas P-47D in 1/48 scale.
This kit was basically built out of the box. The pilot is a figure from a Tamiya kit. I added fuel lines from the fuel tanks to the wings and from the belly tank to the fuselage and drilled out the exhaust ports. The kit machine guns were replaced with steel tubing.
paints were used. I scratched some paint with a mixture of ModelMaster chrome silver and Raw Umber artist oil paint.Decals are from a Superscale sheet, I love the big letters and numbers on the cowl. A wash of Raw Umber artist oil paint was applied over the entire plane. I put my moms name on the interior of one of the tail wheel doors[she passed about a year ago].

Holdfast
A complete departure for me this month with a 1/72 scale jet I built this a very long time ago and it was my second go at a BMF.
1. Kit is by Hasegawa.............I think (long time ago). Built OOB
2. Scale 1/72.
3. Painted using SNJ and polishing powder, with Humbrol enamels where applicable.
4. Decals are from the kit.
5. Enamel wash.
6. To obtain varying shades in the panels different ones were masked off and polished with the powder for polishing SNJ. Some were polished once, others twice, a few 3 times and few 4 times. Those polished 4 times, such as the wing tip drop tank nose panel, have almost a mirror like shine. The darkest metallic colour is one of the Humbrol Metal Coat range, but I forget which one.
A nice looking model, I look forward to doing the Hasegawa 1/48 F104, now that should be something.

ladymodelbuilder
This is a Sweet Models GM FM-2 Wildcat in 1/144 scale. I built this kit out of the box, and used all Model Master enamals to paint the kit. The decals for this thing were a bit of a challenge due to their size, but as you can see, they were worth the trouble. The canopy wasn't too hard to paint, but it took longer to get the frames right and even.

brandydoguk
Hasegawa 1/48 Bf 109-E. This is one I built a year or two back. The cockpit was detailed with an Aries resin detail set. It is painted with Humbrol enamels, decals by Superscale, and the panel lines were done with pencil lead.

bf443
Here is a Monogram Pro Modeler P-51B built out of the box with model master paints and Aeromaster decals a long time ago. I chose a local home grown ace. Duane Beeson (Boise Bee) from Boise, Idaho. He fought first in the Eagle Squadrons and was transferred to the 8th Air Force in fall of 1942. He went from Spitfires to Thunderbolts and finally the Mustang. Was shot down shortly after D-Day sat out the rest of the war as a P.O.W. and died of a brain tumor in 46 or 47. His aerial victory score varies with the source I've seen 17 and 20 (which is what the decals represent).
Hope you enjoy.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 08:37 AM UTC
1. TedMamere Fi 156 Storch
2. brandydoguk Bf 109-E.
3. ladymodelbuilder FM-2 Wildcat