_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Monogram EA-6B Prowler build
SargeUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 04:05 AM UTC
Doing a 48th scale build for the GB on ARC. This is the first "dirty build" I am gonna attempt. Everything I've done so far....23 kits or so...have all been clean builds.

The gear:

MTF
SargeUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 04:07 AM UTC
The gear doors:

MTF
SargeUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 04:14 AM UTC
The PLAN is to rescribe this kit...my 1st attempt. Also I have lotsa goodies I am gonna try to use. I have some PE from an "A" model....I don't know what I can use from that on the "B" but I got it anyway cuzz it was cheeep.

Gonna be using the CE airframe correction kit also.

I also have the BB wingfold kit AND the tub kit for it. This is gonna be a major test for me. I consider myself an intermediate builder, and I am looking forward to the challenge.

Building a VMAQ-2 Panther flight leader jet...with the black tail and cockpit surround.

Here's whay I am working on now.....

There were 2 parts that were tweaked.... I learned a trick to straightening them. Bip in HOT water and once soft, press on a flat surface. I used a piece of .125 alum sheet stock that I froze first. Put that hot resin on that cold metal and it setup flat in no time.

Stay tooned! THIS is gonna be a doozy.....I xpect I am gonna need HEELLLPPPP!!!!!

HEHEH

HILBERT
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,808 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 04:20 AM UTC
I would be totally grazy if I had to paint that!
I like the wheel holders, the are very detailled, I like that.

The only tip I would give is, try to paint in thin layers because I think it is one think layer, and that isn't good. The details will vanish under the paint and that is a waste of time and it give the model a unnatural look.

SargeUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 07:10 AM UTC
Talkin about the red paint? Ya, that was a little thick......I was thinkin about thinning it out before I brushed it on. The white was airbrushed.

I appreciate yer input! Thanks. Take the time to do it right!
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 08:02 AM UTC
Great job. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that you have been dirtying up models your entire modelling life! If these small parts are any indication of the larger model to come, this will be very cool! Maybe a build review is in order, even if for just one of the resin additions.

PS Also, to help keep bandwidth low, I'd advise only using one or two pics of a given view (i.e. landing gear) instead of many and it is also beneficial if you could group all your image posts into as few as possible. I know you're new, so that is the only reason I ask. If you have more images uploaded into your gallery or on another site, let the reader know and direct them to where they can access it.

Great job, and keep it coming.

Semper Fi Jarhead

Jeff
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 10:46 AM UTC
Bob, great job thus far. The EA is one of my all time favorite birds. I have 6 of them on my shelves if that is any indication. I also plan on doing one with the wings folded etc.. A tip for the red paint around the gear doors etc.. If you can find one, invest in a red Sharpie marker. They draw on damn near anything and make doing the doors extremely easy. Looking forward to seeing this "Dirtybird" completed. "Q"
SargeUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 02:49 AM UTC
Thanks men. I got red sharpies, and I have a gallery where I can post pixx.
Nick6570
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2005 - 09:03 AM UTC
Hey
i was just wondering on your model how you got the oil looking effects like on the inside of the flaps

thankz
SargeUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2005 - 04:34 AM UTC
Ok, working on the tub....got the IP's all set I think......but I was wondering about theback walls of the front & rear pits. The BB kit has a lot of detail in those areas, and I'm looking for painting info. I mean, I can jusat leave it gull grey, but if I need to fire in some metallic shades or something, I can do it......just haven't come across any photos of other than the business end of both pits.

Any input would be appreciated.

Pixx to follow.
SargeUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2005 - 08:47 AM UTC
2 pixx of the finished tub....

Next up are the seats.
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2005 - 08:59 AM UTC
Wow. That is beautiful. My only suggestion is to find a time to take it outside and shoot the photos in the light so we can see even better all the details.

My only other question is which section of the model is next?

Keep going, you are definitely on the right track.

Jeff
SargeUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2005 - 02:49 PM UTC
Ya I can do that Jeff! I need to get a place indoors setup where I can photograph this stuff!

Next up are the bang seats. Then I'll try to get this thing into the fuse and button it up. Got a wingfold kit right here and I'm gonna do the airframe corrections kit too, along with my 1st attempt at rescribing.

Pictures in the daylight........comin up!

SargeUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 06:03 AM UTC
Some bang seat pixx:

Gonna add some green to the seats based on some pixx I've seen, but these are good enough to go for now.
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 07:30 AM UTC
And to think that most of that is going to be hidden. Are you going to leave the canopy open?

Honestly, this is quite a beautiful build to watch.

Jeff
SargeUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 04:27 AM UTC
Ya Navy...canopies open, and all them nice details hidden! Why is it that we spend money for detailed AM parts, paint them up highly detailed like someone is gonna SEE all these details, and then assemble them up and hide everything that we worked so hard to "get right?"

hehehehe

Thanks for the kind words, Jeff.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2005 - 06:43 AM UTC
Bob super work on the detail in the cockpit and seats. As for the work just to be covered up, I to asked myself the very same question. For me it's just the satisfaction...How's the fuselage coming, give me a call during the weekend when you get the chance.
SargeUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 04:46 PM UTC
Thanks Joe. Appreciate it.

I finally got the workbench back after 2 weeks off and I knocked out some work today. There are 17 pieces that need to be milled away, and I got em all. Just finished sweeping up all the styrene from the floor.

Now it's time for putty and sandpaper..........

I tried recessing the openings in the ALE-39 expendables dispenser pods........I got 1 done and promptly mucked up the other one. So I milled them away and I am gonna just have empty bays. Gotta get the openings squared up nice, and then install the bit of sheetstock that I fit to be the bottom of the bays.

I think I am gonna try some rescribing whilst I have the fuse still apart. It's gonna be my 1st attempt. Mother gave me a good tip....for straight line scribing, use dymo label tape. Got some right here and I'm gonna give it a try. Chucked up the removable tip from the compass I've had for many moons in the drawer here in the pin vise and I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

STILL LOOKIN for a set of Seamless Suckers for this baby. If anyone can help me out or point me in the right dir, let me know.

Pixx to follow.

SargeUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 04:46 PM UTC
Thanks Joe. Appreciate it.

I finally got the workbench back after 2 weeks off and I knocked out some work today. There are 17 pieces that need to be milled away, and I got em all. Just finished sweeping up all the styrene from the floor.

Now it's time for putty and sandpaper..........

I tried recessing the openings in the ALE-39 expendables dispenser pods........I got 1 done and promptly mucked up the other one. So I milled them away and I am gonna just have empty bays. Gotta get the openings squared up nice, and then install the bit of sheetstock that I fit to be the bottom of the bays.

I think I am gonna try some rescribing whilst I have the fuse still apart. It's gonna be my 1st attempt. Mother gave me a good tip....for straight line scribing, use dymo label tape. Got some right here and I'm gonna give it a try. Chucked up the removable tip from the compass I've had for many moons in the drawer here in the pin vise and I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

STILL LOOKIN for a set of Seamless Suckers for this baby. If anyone can help me out or point me in the right dir, let me know.

Pixx to follow.

SargeUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 02:17 PM UTC
Got the decals today....1 less thing to worry about. I decided to work the tub into the fuse, and button up, THEN rescribe.

We shall see how it goes. I'll post sum pixx when ZI get er buttoned up.
SargeUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 03:19 PM UTC
Some pixx of tghe fuse put together......

I milled away all the styrene for the airframe corrections kit parts, but I found out tonight, after reading the BB wingfold kit instructions that I have more milling to do, aft of the large kit wing locating slots...that raised funnel like feature has to go, so I took care of that after I snapped these pixx.

After seeing the instructions that came with the decals depicting a Q-2 Panther a solid color, I thought I'd finally got around doing a TPS. I'm nowhere near ready for paint yet, I just don't know what I should do.

Basically, were Panther era Q-2 birds painted with the TPS........??

While I'm waiting for the airframe corrections kit, I will get started on the rescribing. Gonna be my 1st attempt at the technique.........
ShermiesRule
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 04:03 PM UTC
This has been a slow build but it certainly looks worth it.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 04:42 PM UTC
Hey Bob,
The fuselage is taking great shape. I see that you took care of most of the corrections needed. The fairing in front of the rear fin, what are you replacing it with, Cutting Edges resin kit. How do you like the BB wing fold set! Have you tried the scribing I mentioned. Can’t tell from your photo’s but did you correct the angle of the refueling probe. The kit has it in front of the pilots side, it should be angled in front of the ECMO-1 side by 12 degrees. I’m not sure but if I’m correct your doing the Prowler for the USS Constellation, then your right about the paint, the Q-2 were painted in tactical scheme. Your doing a bang up job and it's coming along just great. keep the progress posts coming.
SargeUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 02:16 PM UTC
Well I got a call today.......looks like I am gonna get my hands on a set of Seamless Suckers for this baby........I hope that I will be able to INSTALL THEM with the fuselage put together!!!

We shall see.......
SargeUSMC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 02:28 PM UTC
Whoa MOTHAHH!! Dayumn......

1.) I like the wingfold kit.......looks like it is gonna be a challenge getting them mated to the fuse.
2.) Refueling probe needs to be rotated 12 degrees on its axis or leaned 12 degrees to starboard?
3.) Haven't started the scribing yet. Gonna stop for some DYMO label tape tomorrow on the way home. I wanna talk to you about that some.
4.) Gonna order the CE corrections kit tom too.
5.) The SS kit I have don't have any ship markings, so I donno what I'm doing yet. It'd be nice to look at some pictures, but I haven't been able to find any PANTHERpixx as of yet. lotsa bunnies n DeathJesters.
6.) Bob called me today and told me he had some Prowler suckers on hand! I hopetaphuk I can get em in there now that I have the durn thing glued up. Good thing I didn't put the bottom pieces in yet.

We shall see.......
 _GOTOTOP