_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Looking for a Slick
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 02:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Like many of y'all, when I heard that Panda was bringing out a 1/35th scale Huey D, I nearly spilt my ...

Then I heard that the kit was kack and had to have another to console myself...

Now, word on the street is that the MRC Huey B/C is a halfway decent kit.

Would it not be beyond the bounds of reason to extract the tasty bits from the MRC Huey B/C (interior and cockpit details, etc) and slap them onto the carcass of the Panda Huey D?

I realise the different models might have different power plants, main rotor size and whatever - helicopters not really being my thing, but modelling Vietnam War hardware is, so excuse any technical goofage...

Opinions on this course of action?
Mini-Vietnam helicopter Nirvana??
Or, modelling masochism..?

acav out

Yes, you can use some of the interior parts from the Academy/MRC UH-1C kits, which are great by the way. They would work just fine. Engines and rotor blades are different on the D model though. The Panda angine area and rotors are O.K. You could probably use the rotor mast and upper yoke/bars from the UH-1C kit though, with the panda blades. You can also use some of the interior parts out of the Revell UH-1D as well, as I am doing. Also, Cobra Company has a correction/upgrade set for both the Panda UH-1D and UH-1N as well, that come with good interior parts.
Zacman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 05:55 AM UTC
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Revell 1/32 scale Bell UH-ID and the UH-1H?
Gino( Heavy Arty) thanks for the advice between the Panda and Revell models, I had a panda i/35 (air cav) UH-ID Version on order, at the same price i'am having two revells sent instead. On the net you cann't notice the fault's, you saved me a lot of disappointment, and got me an extra chopper at the same price. Look out you 1/35 scale V.C.!
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 06:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Revell 1/32 scale Bell UH-ID and the UH-1H?
Gino( Heavy Arty) thanks for the advice between the Panda and Revell models, I had a panda i/35 (air cav) UH-ID Version on order, at the same price i'am having two revells sent instead. On the net you cann't notice the fault's, you saved me a lot of disappointment, and got me an extra chopper at the same price. Look out you 1/35 scale V.C.!

Glad to help. There are no differances between the Revell D and H kits, just different decals. On the actual helos, D's had the pitot tubes and FM homing antennas on the nose. On H models the pitot tube was moved to the roof, between the upper windows; the FM homing antennas were deleted; and the "Towel Rack" antenna was added to the roof near the transmission cowling. All the other H model upgrades were internal pertaining to the engine and tranny. The Revell kits actually build into H models, but they would be easy to backdate to D models.

UH-1D

Vietnam era UH-1H

Later model (1980's) UH-1H with wire strike kit and VHF FM antenna (long wiskery antenna on roof)

Late UH-1H with windowless forward crew door
Zacman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 07:25 AM UTC
Heavy Arty, thank you very for your help, and thanks for the advice between Panda and Revell, thanks to you i now have 2 helicopter comming instead of 1 , at the same price.
I would like to get some AIR CAV decals, for it wher would i go?, other than straight to hell!
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 09:28 AM UTC
No need to go all the way to hell. The heat would be quite unbearable and probably melt your model as well. :-) :-)

Fireball Modelworks does a full sheet of Vietnam UH-1D/H decals that has 1st Cav (Air Cav) decals on it. It is a great set and comes in 1/32, 1/35, 1/48, and 1/72. Has markings for 6 aircraft and a bunch of extra decals for other Hueys.

Fierball Modelworks Huey Decals

Check out some of their other decals and products too, great stuff.
Zacman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 08:41 AM UTC
Gino, thanks for all your help. The photos you sent of the UH-1D Hueys did the first come out of a book called THE VIETNAM WAR, The illustrated history of the conflict in southeast asia.( foreword by WESTY) ( on page 143)IF so can you look at page 97 and tell me if they have made a mistake? Is it a m101,105mm Howitzer?
And thanks for your help.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 09:29 AM UTC
Sorry, the pics came from the net. I don't have that book. If you scan and post the pic you are refering to, I can answer your question.
Zacman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 08:07 AM UTC
[quote]

The UH-1D/H gunship with the wasp on the nose was one of the Revell 1/32 versions. It should have also come with the troop seats for the cabin as well. quote]

I have the UH-1H gunship from Revell 1/32 scale, I would like to make it into a D model troop carrier, but mine didn't come with the troop seats. How can i over come this?and it's is a Hornet on the nose not a wasp!
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 10:11 AM UTC
It is called either a Hornet or a Wasp, depending on which part of the 116 Assualt Helo Company it was from. The Company was called the Hornets, one PLT was the Wasps, another Yellow Jackets, and another Stingers. Not sure which the Revell kit represents.
Hornet's webpage

The markings are not correct for a gunship though, but a slick. UH-1D/H was not used as a gunship by the US. Aussies did use it as a gunship though, called the Bushranger. Bushrangers had miniguns on the forward pylons, rockets on the rear pylons, and dual M60D doorguns on each side.

To make an H model, simply build it straight from the box. For a D model, leave off the pitot tube and the towel rack antenna on the roof. Add the pitot tube and FM homing antennas onto the nose. See my above post for more details and pics of each. You will have to scratch the seats, or get a set out of an Academy UH-1C kit.
Zacman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 10:26 AM UTC
I think i'll get those air cav decals you put up( Gino), I have the Revell 1/32 uh-1h Gunship, i don't like the armerment it came with, i have the Dragon door gunner set which i'am going to put on. Ever since you said it was out of production, same one has been going around to all the shops in sydney and are buying them.
I also have the1/35 MRC uh-1c to build, can any one give the correct cockpit and interior colours?
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 11:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I also have the1/35 MRC uh-1c to build, can any one give the correct cockpit and interior colours?

MRC lists the correct cockpit colors. Basically it is shades of medium gray. Seat cushions are meduim green, or red on early models. Instrument panel is grey with black instruments and a black hood. Just follow the MRC or Revell instructions, and you will be good. You can check out my UH-1H Dust-Off as a painting guide as well.

Good luck.
Zacman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 08:52 AM UTC
Thanks Gino, they don't give the colour instructions as detailed as that, thanks again. The Revell kit i have dosn't have the troop seats, there is no interior details in the troop compartment, can you buy just the seats and other details?
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 06:47 PM UTC
Nobody sells just the troop seats. They aren't that hard to scratch though. The upright support poles can be made from styrene rod or wooden toothpics. Same for the horizontal bars and legs on the seats. Use tissue paper soaked in whiteglue/water solution for the fabric, etc. Not hard and comes out looking pretty good. Good luck.
Zacman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 08:38 AM UTC
[. quote]
The markings are not correct for a gunship though, but a slick. UH-1D/H was not used as a gunship by the US. A.

. [/quote]
The two sets of decals are for,Bell UH-1H 116th Assault helicopter Company "Hornets" in Chi Lai, Veitnam 1971, and the otheris for Bell UH-1H121st Assault Helicopter Company "Soc Trang Tigers" 13th Combat Aviation Battalion ,Vietnam 1969, If the U.S. didn't use UH-1H gunships in Nam, should these marking belong on UH-1C?
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 08:45 AM UTC
Nope, an Assault Helo Company used slicks, troop transport helos. Air Assault.

Attack Helo Companies used UH-1B/C gunships, and later AH-1G Cobras. Air Attack.

The decals are correct for UH-1H slicks.

Helo companies are still named the same way today.
Zacman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 09:03 AM UTC
[quote]
The decals are correct for UH-1H slicks.

.[/quote
It looks better as a slick,those ss-11 missiles are? Now the hard part is going to be making the interior and tracking down a dragon door gunner set?
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 09:08 AM UTC
You actually would need 2 Dragon Vietnam Helo Crew figure sets. Each only comes with one XM-23 door gun mount and gunner for it. Another option is the Cobra Company XM-23 door gun sets. Chris makes them in both 1/32 and 1/35.

Good luck on it.
Zacman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 09:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You actually would need 2 Dragon Vietnam Helo Crew figure sets. Each only comes with one XM-23 door gun mount and gunner for it. Another option is the Cobra Company XM-23 door gun sets. Chris makes them in both 1/32 and 1/35.

Good luck on it.

No, i have one set I have only used one door gunner( the one seated) and 1 pilot. but the Cobra company sounds like a good idear, thank's.
 _GOTOTOP