_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Looking for a Slick
spooky6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 08:08 PM UTC
Hi all. I haven't built a chopper in ages, but I want one for a 'Nam dio that I'm planning. Can anyone suggest a decent 1/35 UH-1D/H? I want a troop-carrier not a gunship, so I'm looking for one with the troop seats and the accurate M60 mounts, preferrably with crew. Thanks.
fbuis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ain, France
KitMaker: 447 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 08:35 PM UTC
I had bought an unbuilt Slick in 1:35 scale, the Bell UH-1D with figures (2 pilots+2 gunners) manufactured by Panda:
http://www.pandamodels.com/html/35005-1.html

And a resin correction set from Cobra Company, following my friend's opinions for some inaccurate details of Panda UH-1D:
http://www.cobracompany.com/35011lg.gif

I don't build it yet, so I can not give my opinion on this kit.

Hope that helps.
spooky6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sri Lanka
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 09:06 PM UTC
Thanks, Francois. That looks like exactly what I want. How's the detailing and workmanship on the parts?

Anyone else know anything about this Slick or any other ?
fbuis
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ain, France
KitMaker: 447 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 09:33 PM UTC
Hi David,

The kit needs some putty filling and the decal set is not quite good, needs a Krylon coat (testors decal bonder or something likes that) sprayed over before using. The figures are very good, manufactured by Dragon and hard to find now!

HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 01:26 AM UTC
The figures are no longer included with the kit. They were only in limited edition initial releases. The DML/Dragon figure set only comes with one doorgun arrangement as well. To get a door gun mount for each side, you will need to find 2 of the figure sets. Good luck on finding them, they are currently OOP.
spooky6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sri Lanka
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 02:14 AM UTC
Hmm, thought so. Gino, I suppose you mean the DML 'Nam Series fig kit?
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 02:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmm, thought so. Gino, I suppose you mean the DML 'Nam Series fig kit?

Yup, those are the ones.

If you are just looking for a good UH-1 with crew, I would get one of the MRC/Academy UH-1C models. You can leave the guns off and have an early slick. They come with a 4-man crew in them. They are much better than the Panda kits as well. Panda's is soft on detail, most of the interior parts are overscale, and the instrument panel is nonexistent with a decal for the instrument faces. It is a copyied and upscaled 1/48 Italeri kit, hence most of the details are thick and too large for 1/35. A couple examples: the rivets are huge and would be about 2" in scale, the rear troop seat post would be about 8" in diameter, etc., etc.

Another option is the Revell 1/32 UH-1D/H kit. It is older, but still better than the Panda kit. It has fine details and scale rivets. The interior is pretty much complete and it can still be used with the DML/Dragon crew if you can locate a set. Also, Cobra Company has a couple update sets for it, including a set of doorguns and mounts. It comes up on Ebay all the time and has been reissued a bunch over the years. I still think it is the best UH-1D/H kit out there. I still have one in the stash and have built a couple of them.
spooky6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sri Lanka
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2005 - 04:38 PM UTC
Thanks for the info, Gino. I have already built the Academy Hog as a gunship a few years ago. I'd prefer a D/H model as a slick though as it's gonna be a late war dio.

I've also got an H model gunship version built about the same time. Can't remember what brand it is (threw the box away), but it has a hornet on the nose (not Panda). I could rebuild that but I doubt I could successfuly scratch the troop seats and gun mounts.

The Revell kit sounds good, but I'd still have to find those door gunners. Is there any noticeable scale difference between 1/32 & 1/35?

Wish someone would put out a good Slick with crew.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 02:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the info, Gino. I have already built the Academy Hog as a gunship a few years ago. I'd prefer a D/H model as a slick though as it's gonna be a late war dio.

I've also got an H model gunship version built about the same time. Can't remember what brand it is (threw the box away), but it has a hornet on the nose (not Panda). I could rebuild that but I doubt I could successfuly scratch the troop seats and gun mounts.

The Revell kit sounds good, but I'd still have to find those door gunners. Is there any noticeable scale difference between 1/32 & 1/35?

Wish someone would put out a good Slick with crew.

The UH-1D/H gunship with the wasp on the nose was one of the Revell 1/32 versions. It should have also come with the troop seats for the cabin as well. The differance in 1/32 and 1/35 scale is not really noticable to me. The Revell one is slightly larger than the Panda model, but as long as you don't put the two together, it won't be noticable. 1/35 figures and gear look fine in the Revell helo, no issues at all.
spooky6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sri Lanka
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 03:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The UH-1D/H gunship with the wasp on the nose was one of the Revell 1/32 versions. It should have also come with the troop seats for the cabin as well.

Pretty sure it wasn't Revell, Gino. Don't think I've ever built a Revell kit. And this Huey definitely didn't come with the troop seats. Gunship model with ammo resevoir in the centre of the deck. It had gunners' seats though. I know Panda has the same Huey (with hornet nose) so maybe there are some others who put this out too.

Anyway, the good news is Mother has very kindly offered to let me have his old 1/32 Revell Huey for nothing! Ain't he a great guy? He should change his call sign to Godmother
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 03:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know Panda has the same Huey (with hornet nose) so maybe there are some others who put this out too.

If it was a 1/32 model, it was the Revell kit. No one else does/did a 1/32 UH-1D/H. Maybe someone else reboxed the Revell one. Only Panda does the 1/35 UH-1D/H as well. Panda's Wasp version, for some strange reason doesn't come with the gunship parts. They just took their standard huey kit and put the Wasp decals in it.

Glad you have the Revell one coming. Yup, Joe is a great guy. He definitely goes out of his way to help out others.

Good luck with your project.
corsutton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 04:00 AM UTC
CMK has a set of pilots and 1 door gunner for a UH-60. You might be able to convert them a little to be Vietnam era. Also Legends has a set of troops off loading from a slick. Both sets look real good but again the one is for a UH-60.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

CMK has a set of pilots and 1 door gunner for a UH-60. You might be able to convert them a little to be Vietnam era. Also Legends has a set of troops off loading from a slick. Both sets look real good but again the one is for a UH-60.

Actually, the CMK set is closer to Vietnam era UH-1 pilots that modern or UH-60 pilots. Here is a complete rundown of helo pilots available that I listed a while ago at FSM.
Helo pilot thread at FSM
spooky6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sri Lanka
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 04:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If it was a 1/32 model, it was the Revell kit. No one else does/did a 1/32 UH-1D/H. Maybe someone else reboxed the Revell one. Only Panda does the 1/35 UH-1D/H as well. Panda's Wasp version, for some strange reason doesn't come with the gunship parts. They just took their standard huey kit and put the Wasp decals in it.

Sorry, Gino, I should've mentioned that the Huey I built is 1/35, but I just can't remember who it was from. Just that it's not Revell. Dug it out and had a look at it (it was damaged a bit the last time I moved countries) and it doesn't have the gunners' benches either. With the pintel-mounted .50s it would be a bit tough to swing a 60 anyway.

Quoted Text

Mother's promised me the DML 'Nam Series crew as well so i'm well away here.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 05:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry, Gino, I should've mentioned that the Huey I built is 1/35, but I just can't remember who it was from. Just that it's not Revell. Dug it out and had a look at it (it was damaged a bit the last time I moved countries) and it doesn't have the gunners' benches either. With the pintel-mounted .50s it would be a bit tough to swing a 60 anyway.

If it truely is in 1/35 scale, it must be the Panda UH-1D/H Wasp version. Panda is the only one who has made a 1/35 UH-1D/H model. No idea where the .50 cal MGs came from or where the troop/gunner seats went AWOL to though. Panda kit comes with troop/gunner seats, but w/o mounts and weapons.

Here is another option for you if you ever decide to tackle another and want to try the Panda kit. The Panda UH-1N USMC/USAF Gunship comes with the M60 mounts and guns, and all the parts to build a Bell 210/UH-1H Super Huey as well. It is the version that may be selected as the new LUH (Light Utility Helicopter) by the US Army. It is currently in use by many foreign countries. It is a standard UH-1D/H fuselage with the N nose, upgraded engine and avionics and other features.

Bell 210/ UH-1H Super Huey

Here are the sprues, you can see the D/H parts and weapons sprues as well.

The UH-1N kit is nice as well. Still has all the issues as the D/H model, but a good base to add parts from the Revell model or the CC set to to make it look good. It is the only N model in large scale available.

I used the Revell one to convert to an N model a long time ago, way before Panda was even thought about. It was a bear of a conversion, but I think it came out nicely.

More here.

Either way, you have a much better kit on the way. Good luck with it and post some pics when you get going on it.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 06:05 PM UTC
Dave, Gino maybe I can clear this up. Dave I you built a "H" model and used the kit's decals, then you build a Revell UH-1D. Revell had two 1/32 kits out of the "H" series.

This is kit No.# 00421, Bell UH-1H Gunship, 1/32

The second kit is a two kit package, Vietnam AirCav Team 1/32 No.# 4454. This one had the UH-1H and the OH-6A.
Here in my stash, middle bottom, both kits.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 06:07 PM UTC
Sorry I forgot to add the photo
spooky6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sri Lanka
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 08:43 PM UTC
That sure does clear it up, Mother! Gino, I take it all back. That's my Huey, and it IS a Revell. I guess my memory's not what it was.

Mother, do I see THREE crew sets in your stash?
spooky6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sri Lanka
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 09:08 PM UTC
Thanks again, Gino, for all that in depth help and analysis. Your N model looks really good BTW.

Also, taking a peek at Mother's stash there I can tell you that the C model I have is the Academy Heavy Hog. Can't believe how much I've forgotten. Been concentrating heavily on figs lately.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 01:22 AM UTC
Yup, the Revell Wasp gunship. I see what you are talking about as .50 cals now. They are actually Revell's version of M60s in the quad M60 flex mount, M6 Armament system. That is about the only bad thing about the Revell kits, their weapons suck. That is O.K. though, they are easily replaced with DML ones.

Thanks for the compliments on my N.

Mother's "personal hobby shop" is always impressive. And I thought I had a large stash.
spooky6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sri Lanka
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 02:43 AM UTC
Gino, on your UH-1N I note that the door gun's mounted directly onto the stub 'wings'. First time I've seen that. Is that only on the seaborne models? Wouldn't the door gunner have to lean right out? Once saw an Air Force door gunner take a rifle round in his flak vest while leaning out to fire straight down while inserting my section.
AndyD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 672 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 03:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The figures are no longer included with the kit. They were only in limited edition initial releases. The DML/Dragon figure set only comes with one doorgun arrangement as well. To get a door gun mount for each side, you will need to find 2 of the figure sets. Good luck on finding them, they are currently OOP.

LHS here in Sydney Aussie has them (or did earlier today) PM me if you want me to grab and ship them for you. I visit there most lunchtimes so happy to do it for what it costs me + 1 beer (about $1.50 USD)
Cheers,
Andy.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 08:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gino, on your UH-1N I note that the door gun's mounted directly onto the stub 'wings'. First time I've seen that. Is that only on the seaborne models? Wouldn't the door gunner have to lean right out? Once saw an Air Force door gunner take a rifle round in his flak vest while leaning out to fire straight down while inserting my section.

Not really following what you mean, but I think you mean the MG mount on top of the piece that holds the rocket pod. That is the standard USMC mount for door gun and rocket pods. US Army doesn't usually mount guns and rockets, just guns. And yes, in order to fire down, the gunner has to stand up and lean out. The idea is that he fires out at a 45 degree angle or less to the side and front of aircraft. Hopefully, you don't have to engage any bad guys below you. If you do, your LZ is compromised and I would look for a new one.
spooky6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sri Lanka
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 04:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

LHS here in Sydney Aussie has them (or did earlier today) PM me if you want me to grab and ship them for you. I visit there most lunchtimes so happy to do it for what it costs me + 1 beer (about $1.50 USD)
Cheers,
Andy.

Thanks, Andy, but as I already said, Mother's sending me the kits for nothing! I'd have taken you up on that otherwise. But thanks anyway.

Gino, I meant that the gun mounts I'd seen were more like the Vietnam-era type, mounted on the door lip or deck itself. The gunner I mentioned was firing straight down on the run-in to the LZ, at terras attacking the perimeter. The LZ itself was clear and we got in OK.
acav
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 517 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 02:15 PM UTC
Like many of y'all, when I heard that Panda was bringing out a 1/35th scale Huey D, I nearly spilt my ...

Then I heard that the kit was kack and had to have another to console myself...

Now, word on the street is that the MRC Huey B/C is a halfway decent kit.

Would it not be beyond the bounds of reason to extract the tasty bits from the MRC Huey B/C (interior and cockpit details, etc) and slap them onto the carcass of the Panda Huey D?

I realise the different models might have different power plants, main rotor size and whatever - helicopters not really being my thing, but modelling Vietnam War hardware is, so excuse any technical goofage...

Opinions on this course of action?
Mini-Vietnam helicopter Nirvana??
Or, modelling masochism..?

acav out
 _GOTOTOP