_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Model of the Month (MOM) December
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2005 - 02:54 AM UTC
Post your entries for the MOM for December here.

Please read the following.
1. Do not forget to add information about the model, voters will be encouraged to check this out before voting and it may influence thier vote
2. Only post 3 pics, no composits
3. change, please read The first picture that you post will be used in the voting thread. (This will save me alot of time checking out your favourite) The first picture that you post will be the one used in the voting thread

Please try and keep your pictures to a maximum width of 650 pixels, and the file size small

Lets see if we can get an even better turn out this month. Best of luck to all.

Voting will start on the 15th December and the results will be published on Christmas day, so a little prezzy for someone, don't ya just love Chrimbo

Mal
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 01:37 AM UTC
This is Fujimi's 1/48 spitfire Vb modified to a MK 1a. It was airbrushed with Xtracrylics to represent an aircraft from the film Battle of Britain. The lower camo colour was a mix of white and light blue to match the innaccurate scheme used in the film. The squadron codes were from the spares box and the upper camo was airbrushed freehand.

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 03:35 AM UTC
Hi there

Here's a rather ancient one for old times' sake. It's Hasegawa's Raiden - I must have built it about 8 or 10 years ago. I'd pretty much made a conscious decision to give up modelling, but was discovering that the bug still bit! :-) So this was my first kit after a long break and it was also my first attempt at using an oil wash.

If I remember right, the paints were all Humbrol in a bit of a home-mix - that topside green looks awfully bright now...

All the best

Rowan
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 04:06 AM UTC
This months entry is Panda's 1/35th UH-1N. Reworked the interior some and used Twobobs decals. Painted with MM's Lt. Gray, Lt.Ghost Gray amd Med. Gray. Plume dectectors are scratch built as is the FLIR base. The FLIR head come out of the parts box.

csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 04:09 AM UTC
My entry is a Spitfire Mk IA. The kit is Tamiya in 1/48 scale. It`s an OOB build, I add the seat belts, the antena wire and the machine guns for what I used metal needels. Paints are Model Master Enamels.

:)
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 04:26 AM UTC
First time MoM entry. At the behedst of our own Mother, I elected to enter my recently completed Italeri SH-60B. I scratchbuilt much of the interior covering what the kit didn't as well as rearranging exterior parts and adding an aerial wire and its supports and engraving exterior panel lines on the tail boom. Lots o' gaps, lots o' filler used and the ever present sanding. Hand painted with ModelMaster enamels and acrylics. Despite the many flaws of the kit, the frustration was somewhat enjoyable after multiple "shake n' bake" kits (Tamiya Humvee anyone?) Wish I had better pictures...Sorry

Jeff
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 05:27 AM UTC
OK, Here's Grumpy's.... "Annual Aircraft"
Hasegawa, 1/48 scale BF 109E3, kit number Jt8.
LiftHere Decals in Yugoslav markings.
True Details resin seat.
True Details wheels.
Scratchbuilt the wing cannon barrels from plastic rod.

Yes I did use a flashlight to light the cockpit for the photo!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 05:47 AM UTC
Give a big HELLO to a lil' 1/72 Roden Pfalz D. XII. A kit with very fine detail and molding, but horrid fit problems. The engine was about 7,000 pieces, +/- 6992, fit well, but there was not enough room to enclose it in the fuselage unmodified.

The beautiful kit-supplied lozenge decals were too small for the wings. Super Scale made up the shortfall.

This lil' canvas falcon was a big pain!

newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 07:18 AM UTC
Hello. My entry is Academy's 1/48 P-47N. I used TD tires, hypodermic needle guns, and aires cockpit, and superscale decals. The paint is SNJ and their powder for the NMF and tamiya for the colored parts. I remember at the time thinking it was a pretty hard kit to build, but I think it was just that I was pretty inexperienced at the time and created a lot of problems for myself .
- Leon

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 11:27 AM UTC
Hi all!

Here is my 1/48 Hasegawa "Car Door" Typhon build OOB. The kit, apart for some inserts, was an easy project and the kit renders the massive appearence of the real plane very nicely...
The Black and White stripes are not D-Day or Dieppe markings. They were painted for easy identification to avoid Typhoons to be shot down by friendly fire...

Jean-Luc
Seanuke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 49 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 11:42 PM UTC
This Revell 1:28th Fokker D VII is my first ever entry into a MOM contest. The model is built OOB however instead of using black thread for the control wire, I used jewelers wire... I am particularly proud of the upper wing surfaces as this is the first time I have dealt with whole wing lozenge camoflague schema. The red prop may seem a bit over done but I liked the bold statement it makes.

IMG]http://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/DSCN0659.jpg [/IMG]

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 12:37 AM UTC
Hasegawa's 1:48 Hurricane Mk.IIC
1. Built OOB.
2. Antenna wire from shearing elastic, cannon barrels drilled out and elevators dropped
3. Painted with Lifecolor acrylics.
4. Wash of oil colour and white spirit, paint chipping with a silver pencil.
5. Kit decals.

Mal
modelguy2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 09:08 AM UTC
Eduards 1/48 Albatros D.va in the markings of Jagdstaffel 5, Jan-Feb 1918

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 10:29 AM UTC
Looks like WWI fever is upon us! Great.
lapulid2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 01:37 PM UTC
Hi everyone, and good luck! first entry, a Tamya 1/48 Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero fighter with 261st Air Group decals and built straight outta' the box

matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 11:30 PM UTC
Here is my entry for December MOM.

This is the 1/72 scale Special Hobby BV 215, this model was built OOB and I used Model Master enamels for paint, the decals came from my spares box.

Matrixone
bf443
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 895 posts
AeroScale: 457 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 - 10:32 AM UTC
Jack, Jack attack!

Here is my entry, 1/48th PBY. Built OOB except for several decals. The first photo is now one of my favorites. Please check out the upper left corner. I did not see this coming until it was to late. The end result was a broken tail gear. My son is all boy! The tail gear was easy to repair.

One Proud Father...... :-)
Alpi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 - 11:34 PM UTC
Hi All brothers this is 1/72 A-6 Intruder I made it with model masters colors by brush . The tail design like Turkish Stars Aerobatic Team's tail design and I dont like flu

This is a grass jet and I painted green for camouflage
archerwin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 106 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 05:34 AM UTC
here's my entry for this month. Tamiya 1/48 Gloster Meteor. I chose the white scheme for this particular plane.

CPTKelley
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 09:26 PM UTC
For December, I bring you gratuitous pictures of my "Big Dick". 1:48 Hasegawa built Out of theBox. All decals/markingsare cusom-printed ALPS decals I designed and printed.Gun barrels drilled out. NMF is Alclad II.Merry Christmas toYou and Yours!

Spot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 95 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 03:24 AM UTC
Let's all give a hearty 3 cheers to "Big Dick!"

So James, how long did it take you to come up with that one, no pun intended.

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
CPTKelley
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 07:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let's all give a hearty 3 cheers to "Big Dick!"

So James, how long did it take you to come up with that one, no pun intended.

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Oooohhhhh,not too long...got me in LOTS of hot water with IPMS/USA last year just before I deployed for OEF.....but I thought it was damned funny! Still do, too....Merry Christmas, Mate!

JK
RedSteve
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 01:35 PM UTC
Hi all, This is my first entry to MOM - *gulp*, I can see the standard is high...
Right, after a long layoff from modelling, got back into it this year. Lots of firsts for me on this one, first airbrushed model, first aftermarket details (though as most of the parts are in the cockpit, you can't see them ) and first 1/48 scale.
It's a Dornier Do335A-1. Virtually OOB, except for a few extras in the cockpit and some PE details. Kit decals.

Weathering was a 80/20 Artists oils/low odour thinners mix, followed by light brushing along panel lines with dark brown pastel powder and finally silver pencil paint chipping.

I used Mal's pre-shading technique for the underside, a mixture of Tamiya and Xtracrylics for the main scheme.

The exhaust staining was black MIG powder. It may look a bit OTT, but according to my references of the orginal aircraft, I've acually underdone it!!. Good luck everyone :-) :-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2005 - 01:54 AM UTC
Entry is now closed, thanks for all those that have entered
The voting should have started on the 15th but I was unable to get on to the site yesterday and only managed to get here latish today. I have been having problems dowloading to the gallery so I'm not sure at this point if I can get the pics in there. I will try later but I will start the voting thread soon.
Mal
 _GOTOTOP