_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Hi to all
droseman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 82 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 06:16 AM UTC
Hi there everyone, I am new to this forum, so I thought I would introduce myself to all the regulars here

I have a question as well - I am looking into getting an airbrush, but i have no idea what to look for, any advice from you chaps out there?

Thanks

Dave

csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 07:26 AM UTC
Hi Dave, welcome aboard and happy new year !!!
I use a Paschee single action airbrush. It´s cheap, strong and very easy to clean and mantain and the more important to me is that it´s very easy to use.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 07:42 AM UTC
Hello Dave and welcome to Armorama.
I have only been here a short time myself but let me say you are in the right place for help. These folks at Armorama are excellent teachers as well as patient with "newbies" such as us.
I purchased my very first airbrush only 3 weeks ago. It too is a Paschee single action model. It is very simple too use.........(would have to be if I can use it), easy to clean and the more you practice with it the better the results. I'm still learning to use my Paschee and have not obtained the level of skill that most folks around here have, but so far I'm pleasantly surprised at how easy and fun it is to use.
To get more info and opinions on airbrushes I'd suggest you visit the General Modeling forum on this site and read previous comments about all the different airbrushes pros and cons.
Hope this helped a little.
VonCuda
FOXBAT31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 08:46 AM UTC
Hi Dave , and Happy 2006

What airbrush to get is a rather controversial and subjective matter. I personally like my Aztek Double action airbrush a lot, though a lot of people disapprove of it because it is made out of plastic, what a sacrilege! But it's worked fine for me.

A lot of us began with a single action Badger 250, which is cheap and adequate to get your feet wet.

If you get a single action airbrush, in time, you will want to move up to a double action, which are somewhat pricer airbrushes, but provide you with better paint flow control. Yet, until you become more adept at using an airbrush, I'd recommend you stick to an unexpensive Single action airbrush, unless you have the funds to start off with the double action.

Double action airbrushes are not that dificult to control, but I believe you would get a better idea of airbrushing basics by starting out with a BADGER 250 or 350 which, are cheaper.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/66652&page=1

Perhaps it is just a matter of ofpinion, but I'd start out with the BADGER 250 (and I did some years ago!)

Martin

P.S. A DA (Double-Action) airbrush could provide you with better paint flow control, for better, intrincate camouflage schemes.
jackhammer81
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 09:07 AM UTC
Hi Dave welcome to Armorama, You will enjoy it here. Cheers Kevin
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 03:30 PM UTC
Hi Dave, welcome to Armorama
As Martin says, an airbrush is a very personal thing, what one likes another wont. I also agree that it's a good idea to get you "feet wet" with a cheap airbrush, but I wouldn't recommend the likes of the very cheap ones, those that come on a card back with blister front. You can get a decent single action airbrush from the likes of Tool Mart (I think it is) or Screw Fix, for about £25.00 which is similar, but not as good as the Badger 200. I used the Badger 200 for about 20 odd years until I switched to a Double action 2 years ago.
In some ways it depends on what you build. If you only ever build subjects that only require hard edge masking then a cheap airbrush is all you will ever need. If you require to be able to paint free hand soft edge (or even hardish edge camo) then you will need a better and therefore more expensive airbrush. If you buy the £25.00 one, I mentioned, it won't go to waste if, later, you want to upgrade as it can be used for applying varnish and the like. This is what I use my old Badger 200 for now. My new airbrush cost £160.00 but you don't need to spend anything like that. You will also need a compressor with holding tank, moisture trap and regulator (canned air is not a good investment). For a first compressor I would look for a second hand one, even a simple diaphragm compressor, without a tank is useful (I used one with my Badger, until it finally gave up). I can give you a tip of how to get away without a tank if you should need it. My new compressor would cost £800.00 new but I got it for nowt but a decent, new compressor can be, relatively expensive, so go the second hand route to begin with.
Before purchasing my new airbrush I spent about 6 months on research. I would suggest going along to art and graphic shops and ask to look at what they have. Talk to the people there, most of them won't know a thing about airbrushing, but you may pick up some good info (if everyone you talk to gives you the same snippet of info then that’s probably about right). Remember though that they will be trying to sell you the airbrush make, or makes, which they sell. Above all get to feel the airbrush, how does it feel in the hand, how is the trigger action. Ask about how it strips down A lot of people give up on airbrushing, probably blaming the airbrush. Probably the best 2 pieces of advice I could give you is that if it ain’t working it's you not the airbrush. Keep it clean and it will do what it is supposed to do. Get to know the paint and how it likes to be treated.
More on all this when you have made your choice.
Mal
golf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 18 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 04:08 PM UTC
Hi Dave

Even the cheapest airbrush can give you a finish better than can be achieved by brushing...for most people anyway. What you get by going up market (spending more money) is more control and a more robust tool that is easier to clean. I started with an Aztek and after about three years of learning the basics I progressed to an Iwata Eclipse and have never looked back since. There is a long way to go to reach the high standards of the premier modellers but learning the different techniques of what can and cannot be done is great fun. Progressing by making each model just that little bit better than the last is very satisfying.

I bought my Iwata from The Airbrush Company, in Sussex, and I suggest you have a look at their web site (http://airbrushes.com). They stock a range of equipment, are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Cheers

Bill Brignal
Mojo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 05:26 PM UTC
Welcome aboard Dave.. Enjoy yourself and ask tons of questions.. Hope to see some of your work..

Dave
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 06:29 PM UTC
Bonjour Dave!

Bienvenue sur Armorama!

Your airbrush question seems to have been answered :-) so I will only wish you a Happy New Year!

Jean-Luc
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 06:51 PM UTC
G'day,

Welcome.

I've been airbrushing for 30 years now. That may sound impressive but I quickly caution that I am no expert, and still learn from others.

I several years ago I promoted my Badger 200 to the rear echelon and brought forth a Paasche VL. I just bought a new Badger Eclipse but I haven't used it yet, nor my Iwata I was given a year ago--I am a creature of habit. I am a proponent of my VL and tend to stay with the tried and true. Until I lost the tip during cleaning.

I decided to try an Aztec given me, and that is what I have been using exclusively for the past couple of months. If you are new to airbrushing, I strongly recommend the Aztec for its simplicity of cleaning and spray tip changing. It does not have to be babied like the metal airbrushes.

The durable tips are about $10 each but compare that to the fragile tip, head and needle of a Paasche, cheap.

I recommend the Aztec as your first. Then if you think you want to upgrade to a "professional" airbrush, they are available.
woltersk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
AeroScale: 215 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 07:13 PM UTC
Dave,
Welcome!
What an introductory question you have chosen!

Seems the airbrush portion has been answered. It looks like the first airbrush used, or at least the brand purchased, is what most people stick with throughout their model building careers.

I have used a double action, Badger 150 for over twenty years and couldn't imagine starting over with another.

My air source is a bit different than most folks'. It is relatively cheap and easy to use.
I have a simple air tank and regulator with a tire valve. It can be filled by an air compressor. But I just run to my local service station and fill it with their automobile air hose tire chuck.

Whatever route you take just remember to have fun.

Keith
droseman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 82 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 08:00 PM UTC
wow, what a lot of responses

Thanks for all of your welcome greetings and all your comments on airbrushes.

On the subject of compressors, what is the difference between diaphagm type and piston type? I have found both of these types on ebay for around £50, is that a fair price? Are there any particular makes I should look out for or avoid ?

Thanks

Dave
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 08:21 PM UTC
I got a Paasche VL double action airbrush for my 15th birthday as my first airbrush. I'm now 30. I bought a replacement one about 3 years ago, as the old one got lost in a move. Other than occasional replacements tips and needles (less than $5.00 each), these things last a long time. I had no difficulty learning the double action, and can't imagine trying to use a single action AB.
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 08:23 PM UTC
Just make sure you get a water trap and a good regulator. I use a small compressor bought at a hardware store, but it works fine, since I run the compressed air through a separate, in-line combination water trap/regulator. Nice smooth airflow from a relatively inexpensive compressor that can power things other than just AB's. (Although it is kind of loud.)
 _GOTOTOP